• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Introducing Development Release 3.4.3.14(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
A couple weeks ago, someone asked me to pad certain flight plan fields so as to provide column alignment in the Flightplans.txt files - which I did in one of the recent development releases. Unfortunately, it wasn't one of my better moments, because, while I accomplished column alignment as requested, the files when read back into AIFP generated a lot of errors. (I inadvertently used the wrong "pad" character.)

That issue is fixed in Development Release 3.1.16(g) - now available from http://stuff4fs.com. As well, the faulty files can also be read by that release.

If you are still using the general release, 3.1.16(a), there's no need to update.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Based on your requests/comments, I've accumulated a number of enhancement/fixes over the past few days. I have just posted Development Release 3.1.16(i) to http://stuff4fs.com, including an updated user manual.

A partial list of new features follows:
  • Traffic and Parking Analyser - the timetable function allows for any combination of aircraft with or without an airport being specified
  • Update Checking at Startup - you may ask for general release only or both general and development/beta release updates (or none). I hope that many of you "power users" will take advantage of the automatic notification of development releases
  • User File Deletions - you may specify that all aircraft and traffic files you delete directly or indirectly to be saved to the Recycle Bin
  • Scenery Library - Scan active items in the Scenery Library to identify any add-on scenery for the selected airport; also identifies stock airport file
In addition, this release contains a "smart" updater that downloads AIG's AirportList.dat and Timezones.dat update files and applies those updates in a manner that does not destroy any updates previously made by you. Several cautions:
  • This is a work in process.
  • There are errors in the update data. While AIFP recognizes and addresses those I know about, I strongly recommended that, if you use this feature, you first backup AirportList.dat and Timezones.dat "just" in case.
  • The airport update file currently contains all 25,000+ airports - all but about 1000 of which are unchanged. So, an airport update can take several minutes.
A couple key representatives of AIG and I will be working on update file format and minimizing the number of entries over the next little while. Nonetheless, while the "innards" may changes, the user interface is unlikely to. So, I'm interested in feedback on the UI.

Happy new Year to all,
Don

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded Development Release 3.1.16(p). It fixes a recently reported exception thrown when using the Traffic Analyser to list available parking at an airport.

This release also introduces the ability to update your timezones and airports using data maintained by Alpha/India Group. For those of you who might have tried Development Release 3.1.16(o), I omitted the link to the AIG updates from that file. So, you would have been unable to use that new feature. Sorry. The missing file is included in the latest development release.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Development Release 3.1.16(r) just uploaded to http://stuff4fs.com.

I discovered quite by accident that while the new AIG update feature worked quite nicely for updated airports, new airports in the update file were dropped. This now appears to work properly. So, if you've used the new feature, you should update again (even though you'll be told you've already updated).

As well, the scheme I used for updating had an unpleasant side effect in the Airport Editor. That too is now been fixed.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It's been nearly 2 months since the last general release of AIFP. Since then, a number of mostly-minor issues have been reported and fixed in successive development releases. Consequently, I have an accumulation of fixes as well as several enhancements, the most significant of which is the ability to download the latest airport and timezone update from the AIG server and have them integrated into your existing airport database. (Airports / Update Airports and Timezone Offsets (from AIG))

General Release 3.1.17, incorporating all those fixes and enhancements is now available at http://stuff4fs.com. It should be detected automatically the next time you run AIFP. (Please see the enclosed version History for details of the changes.)

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Sorry folks. It seems my automatic release compiler needs a tune-up. Somehow, an old version of Ionic.zip.Reduced.dll got included in the Version 3.1.17 archive.

Please download and install Version 3.1.17 again. (http://stuff4fs.com)

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Due to an earlier undetected problem in the new AIG update feature, I have re-released with a fix as 3.1.17(a).

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
A couple new issues have been identified with the new release 3.1.17(a).

I have just uploaded Development Release 3.1.17(b) to http://stuff4fs.com. (It will be automatically detected if you have development releases checked in the Options/Update item.) It fixes an exception thrown when 3.1.17 attempts to convert your AirportList_Updates.dat (if it exists) to the new format. This release also contains a fix for the exception thrown by the Airport Editor when you attempt to load an airport that has been "killed" or when you attempt to "kill" an airport.

I am still "chasing" one other issue. Once that is resolved, I will re-release. In the meantime, if you are affected by either of the abovenoted issues, please use the development release.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Given the number of "start-up" issues with Release 3.1.17 - now all resolved - I thought a fresh general release was in order. I have just uploaded Release 3.1.18 to http://stuff4fs.com. It should be detected the next time you run AIFP.

Such issues are a result of lack of testing. While I test every release - general and development - prior to posting it, my testing is generally restricted to areas where changes have been made. (Full regression testing would be a full time job.) So, I make incremental development releases throughout the development process in the hopes that some of you will use them, thus exposing the code to different environments. In the case Release 3.1.17, it would seem that few if any of you actually installed the later development releases - else it is very unlikely the bug in database conversions would have survived.

In most cases, development releases I announce are candidates for general release. (Usually, for a general release, I simply rename the final development release.) So, in installing an announced development release, you are not likely to destabilize your system any more than if it were a general release. The up-side for you is that you get fixes and new feature for which other have to wait. The up-side for me is that a general release is more fully tested and I get to avoid days like the past two. In the event a development release does contain error that issue is fixed ASAP and a further development release made.

So, I encourage you to install and use the development releases I announce in this forum.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If any of you P3D users have been having trouble analysing parking with the Traffic Analyser, we may have a fix for you. (The bug has been there since the Traffic Analyser was introduced a couple years ago and has somehow evaded detection. ) If you are affected, please give Development Release 3.1.18(c) a try (http://stuff4fs.com).

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Development Release 3.1.18(m) is now available from http://stuff4fs.com. It includes a critical fix. (If no alternate ICAO had ever been specified, using the Airport Editor "trashed" AirportList_Updates.dat.) As well, this release significantly enhances the Single Livery features, allowing repaints to be installed during that process. An updated User Manual is included.

Please see the included version History file for a complete list of chaznges.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded General Release 3.1.19 to http://stuff4fs.com. (It will be automatically detected.) It includes a host of fixes (mostly for recently discovered exceptions) and minor enhancements as well as extensively-reworked Single Livery and Install Repaints features. (Single Livery has now been moved to the Flight Plans menu.) You can now install most AI repaints directly from AIFP's Main Panel. The included Version History identifies all the significant changes.

As I noted yesterday in another forum, it's hard to believe that AIFP is now over 8 years old and that it's been nearly six years since the first release developed specifically to facilitate the easy installation of AIG flight plans. Of course, today's AIFP is substantially more powerful than that initial release as a result of its almost continuous enhancement. Indeed, AIFP today comprises over 30,000 lines of code, only a couple of modules are more than 2 years old and almost half bear a date stamp in 2016. Of course, not all this change was painless but with the ready and capable assistance of interested users, any difficulties were quickly overcome.

AIFP is still not perfect, but I'd like to think we're getting close. Thanks also to all those users/contributors who have helped make AIFP what it is today.

Enjoy,
Don

EDIT: As invariably happens, within minutes of a new general release, someone discovers an old bug that suddenly makes it appearance. With 3.1.19, should you check the Options menu item Check for Updates at Startup - Development Releases you will get an error message stating the update control file is corrupt. Please disregard this message. There is no current development release and nothing is corrupt.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just released AIFP 3.1.19(a) as a general release. It fixes three issues from earlier releases that were not reported until after yesterday's general release. It will be automatically detected.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
* * * * * CRITICAL FIX * * * * *

I have just uploaded a new general release (3.1.20) to http://stuff4fs.com.

Yesterday, it was reported that .mdl files were being corrupted. Turns out that, for some time now, there has been an error in the Aircraft Editor that MAY HAVE corrupted the applicable .mdl file when the Save to "aircraft.cfg"/"sim.cfg" File button was used.

The results of this error, if it occurred, are easy to detect. The .mdl file size will be shown as 1 kb, as opposed to the normal several hundred kb. Should you find such files in your aircraft "stable", you should restore the file from the aircraft archive if you don't find the original in your Recycle Bin.

Don

EDIT 2: After giving the matter further thought, the situation may not be as severe as I first thought. It appears the code that corrupted the .mdl files has been in existence since "day one", but seldom executed. That code was only executed upon an attempt to update the aircraft.cfg file when the model radius was known. But, due to another error, discovered only yesterday, the model radius was often not known. Even then, unless the Save to "aircraft.cfg"/"sim.cfg" File button was used, the .mdl file remained intact.

However, once I fixed the problem that failed to detect the model radius and made a development release yesterday, the more severe issue surfaced.

Don

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Development Release 3.1.20(g) is now available from http://stuff4fs.com. It includes a critical fix. (When installing repaints with earlier releases, you may receive a "textures not compatible with ____" message.)

This release also includes a few other minor fixes. Please see the included Version History file for a complete list of changes.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
General Release 3.1.21 now available at http://stuff4fs.com. It contains a number of fixes for, in a couple of cases, critical issues. The new release should be automatically detected the next time your run AIFP. See the enclosed Version History for details of the changes.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
General Release 3.1.22 now available at http://stuff4fs.com. It contains a number of fixes for, in a couple of cases, critical issues, as well a minor enhancement. The new release should be automatically detected the next time your run AIFP. See the enclosed Version History for details of the changes.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded Development release 3.1.22(k) to http://stuff4fs.com. There have been a surprising number of issues brought to my attention recently - only one of which was recently introduced. Assuming that trend doesn't continue, I expect to make a new general release shortly - which will be Development Release 3.1.22(k) renamed. In the hopes of having as stable a general release as possible, I encourage you to install the new development release and report any further issues.

Don

EDIT: OOPS!!!!! In restructuring the .bgl file-handling code in version 3.1.22, I inadvertently introduced a potential out-of-memory situation on systems having MANY add-on airports or making extensive use of photo-real terrain. I thought I had fixed the issue in Development release 22(k) but it turns out not to be the case. If you've already installed 22(k), don't be concerned. It doesn't cause any permanent damage, but you may have difficulty with the Traffic and Parking Analyser.

I now have a verified fix which I'll put in another development release tomorrow.

Don

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded Development Release 3.1.22(l) to http://stuff4fs.com. It completely resolves the potential out-of-memory issue introduced in version 3.1.22 (to the extent of your machines capabilities), fixes all exception reported to date, corrects some minor issues with the FP Editor and the Traffic and Parking Analyser and adds several minor enhancements - the most notable of which are the new Main Panel context menu functions which allow you to select an item in one of the three main lists and have all associated items in the other lists highlighted. Please see the included Version History for details. Please give it a good "workout".

Failing further reports of issues, I will re-release this development Release as Version 3.1.23 this coming weekend.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded General Release 3.2.01 to http://stuff4fs.com. It contains a host of minor enhancements and bug fixes - see the Version History. Unless you have suppressed update checking, this new release will be automatically detected and you will be invited to download it. If not, you may obtain it by navigating to the Applications/AIFP page on the website and clicking the Latest General Release menu item.

Recent general releases have contained a variety of both major and minor enhancements - including a behind-the-scenes cleanup and consolidation - and their implementation resulted in some instability. This release has been very well tested and every reported issue has been addressed.

Given the plethora of releases in the 3.1.xx series, the large number of enhancements in recent releases and the current high level of stability, I felt a new series number was in order, hence 3.2.01.

Most noticeable among the improvements in this release are
  • the ability to display associations across the Flight Plan, Airport and Aircraft Lists from the context menus
  • some tweaks to the FP Editor, and
  • minor changes to operation and outputs of the Traffic and Parking Analyser
  • more consistent operation of the Files/Save File Set As .. menu operation
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.