• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New MS Flight Media Coming Tomorrow (Jan 4th)

Country
panama
When do you think Prepar3D will be available in a more public version?
Also is it worth buying it as it is now?

Any market for addon developers?

It is much better than a "bare FSX", the graphics are better still it needs a lot of improvement but wit a free SDK the whole thing is wide open for developers. I still think its too expensive but if they lower the price many will enjoy it. I have used SBuilder 3.5 to make some airfields and they come out exactly as FSX. Yes, this could be the future, so just forget the Flight game of failing M$ and look onward for better things for our hobby.....;)

Country
us-arizona
Well written Jim. Thanks for sharing your views.

To take a small step back, are you saying that PrePar 3D is basically $500.00 USD to obtain? The sim that is, not the SDK.

Country
panama
Well written Jim. Thanks for sharing your views.

To take a small step back, are you saying that PrePar 3D is basically $500.00 USD to obtain? The sim that is, not the SDK.

$ 499 you get the whole bundle......

Country
unitedstates
Well, I didn't actually say anything about the price but my understanding is you can do a one-time purchase (aimed at commercial flight schools) for $500 and then updates cost extra, or you can do the $10/month developer deal and all updates are then included.

That said, I just ordered a copy of FSX Gold for $30 (I have the original RTM disks + SP2, I've never had acceleration) and as long as I can activate FSX I'm happy. I know, I know... I said the same thing about FS9.

I've read (from a credible source) that P3D v2 is going to be really something spectacular though, so I'll probably do the dev license thing on that if it's still available when the time comes. Until then I'm still stunned every time I fire up FSX.

Jim

Country
unitedkingdom
The prepare3D sites states:

Doesn't that mean developers need $499 retail licence to distribute their products?

I think that means the person you sell it too will need the $499 license to use it in a commercial setting. Otherwise it seems a bit pointless giving the SDK away for free as no one would buy the $499 licence and then pay $10 a month on top to use some tools they've already got.

Of course I don't know if LM have taken into account the market for developers who aren't working as part of an organisation with a commercial license, so it may be unintentional on their part.

Country
us-arizona
$10.00 a month seems very ok to me. I dont have a problem with that. Its $2.50 a week, Its less then half of what lunch would cost.

How much though does it cost to obtain P3D? The sim itself. What does it cost a non-dev person to get this sim?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
The prepare3D sites states:
Doesn't that mean developers need $499 retail licence to distribute their products?

That only applies to those who are selling a complete "solution" that includes the end user copy of Prepar3D with it.

It most definitely does not apply to scenery, aircraft or custom gauges that're intended to be used by someone who already has a Prepar3D licensed installation on which to run the developer's product...

-or-

...if the "developer" makes one of his machines available for public use.

For example, I create a really sophisticated aircraft and wish to display it at Airventure 2012 (Oshkosh) with the goal of selling DVD copies of my product with or without a copy of Prepar3D as part of the package. In that case, every machine I took to the show would have to have a full-version $499 license paid for. I could not legally use my $10/mo developer's license for such a venue.

As another example, suppose I set up a booth at the Lake County State Fair this year and simply allowed anyone to "try it out" for free or for a fee. Those systems would likewise have to have the $499 license for each machine.

Note carefully that I'm not speculating about what "might be," but simply stating what L-M themselves have stated is the true case. There have been many such discussions at L-M's developer's forums about these very questions.

Last edited:
A

amahran

Well you'd much rather like to have the end user copy to examine the scenery after it's compiled to see where you might have went wrong rather than just publishing a scenery immediately without knowing if it builds incorrectly or not and risk angry customer complaints...

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
$10.00 a month seems very ok to me. I dont have a problem with that. Its $2.50 a week, Its less then half of what lunch would cost.

How much though does it cost to obtain P3D? The sim itself. What does it cost a non-dev person to get this sim?

John Nichol has made it crystal clear that anyone can pay for the $10/mo license. There are no restrictions made.

Country
us-utah
When I was 8 and my dad got FS95 I at least flew around the city of Chicago or try and land at different airports... Not saying I didn't break too many FAR's to count or occasionally hit a building and watch the plane fall in 20 pieces to the ground.

I remember flying in formation with the Cessna's in the flight pattern at Meigs Field and then trying to copy them and land. Little did I know I was flying a pattern. Kids must be different these days..

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
When I was eight more than a half-century ago, I "flew" around the neighborhood with my arms held out and made "Spitfire" engine noises. Well, more like "Spit" noises truth to tell...

Kids today have NO imagination at all! :rotfl:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Microsoft Game Studios did Flight. Totally in house to my knowledge.

Cascade appears dead in the water.

Dick