• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New Project is not showing in FS

Hi,
I've been going over the manual to make sure I understand the works of ADE. In the manual, version 1.65, page 27, I followed all the instructions on how to create a new airport from scratch. The new airport is created in the desert of Arizona. I draw out the guide lines and added the polygon. Then I compiled the airport. The manual suggested that I first check the results of the work, and on page 34, it shows a picture of what the scenery would look like after compiling the new polygon. It shows a picture of a new green outline, so to speak, right on the desert area. But when I loaded the simulator the scenery around the area looked the same as it did and there was no green outline area on the desert. The project was compiled correctly to the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder and when the simulator started, it built the new scenery files. Am I supposed to see that green outline area created by the polygon in ADE in FS? If so, what am I doing wrong? I've tried this in both FS9 and FSX.

Ken.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If you mean the green rectangle then yes you should see it. This is not supported in FS9 so you would not see it work there in any case. The first thing to check is that the airport is actually where you think it is - have you entered the coordinates correctly and placed your aircraft at that location. Second please upload your ADE project file (.ad4 extension) for this project so that we can check it?

The Airport background poly might not be green and hard to see because you are in a desert.

This is the FSX Stock Winslow, AZ. (during summer) and its hard to tell were the desert ends and the airport poly begins

fsscr012.jpg

Last edited:
If you mean the green rectangle then yes you should see it. This is not supported in FS9 so you would not see it work there in any case. The first thing to check is that the airport is actually where you think it is - have you entered the coordinates correctly and placed your aircraft at that location. Second please upload your ADE project file (.ad4 extension) for this project so that we can check it?

Yes, that's what I mean. I was wondering if I would see the green rectangle in FS9. Here's what I did step by step: I started FSX and loaded a flight. I then went to the menu, selected World, Map, and entered the coordinates. The sim took me to that area in Arizona and it looked fairly similar to the picture from the ADE manual. Next, I started ADE, and at the upper right corner, it tells me that it's connected to FSX. The manual tells me to right-click on an empty spot in the display and select "Center on Aircraft" but that will not work. I first have to load an airport into ADE. So I did that and then I was able to right-click and select "Center on Aircraft." After I click on "Center on Aircraft," I can see the aircraft in ADE. So, I assume by this that I am in the right place. By the way, in FSX, it uses degrees, minutes, and seconds. In ADE, I use the decimal units, but this would not cause the problem, wouldn't it? Where is the ADE project fie .ad4 extension stored, and how do I upload it?

Ken.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The project file is stored in the folder you have set for it. Use the Upload a File button at the lower right of the quick reply box to add it to a post

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Open your airport in ADE, right click on the green polygon, and choose Move Aircraft Here. Then go to FS and look.

Open your airport in ADE, right click on the green polygon, and choose Move Aircraft Here. Then go to FS and look.

Hi Tom,
I've tried that and it still does not work. I'm going to try and upload the project file. I hope I upload the correct one.

Ken.

Hi Jon,
Here's my project file. I think I have the correct one.

Ken.

Attachments

• USER_ADEX_KM.ad4
    3.7 KB · Views: 206

GHD

Country
england
There isn't much wrong with it, except that there is only a flatten:

Your AFD:

In FSX:

It's supposed to be flattened, according to the manual, because the user will be creating a new airport from scratch. I followed all of the instructions and I'm still not getting anything or learning anything because I'm busy figuring out why my results are not coming out as shown in the manual. I noticed in your FSX picture that I see the outline of what I created in ADE. But in my FSX simulator, that does not even show up. There's nothing there except plain desert, and it looks exactly the same as before I compiled it. According to the manual and what Jon said, I'm supposed to see a green rectangle on the ground so why is it there? In your FSX, I only see a little of the outline. Did you raise it to make it come out this way or edited it? I also noticed that the User Aircraft is in the wrong place. I had it exactly next to the road, south to where the roads branch off, just like in the manual. I did try moving the aircraft inside the polygon, which would explain it, but I did not save that. So the User Aircraft should be exactly as shown in the manual because that's where FS put it. So I don't unerstand why the aircraft is that far south of the road.

Ken.

Hi Jon,
I didn't know if I needed to reply to your quotes or not. Here's the file you told me to upload.

Ken.

Attachments

• USER_ADEX_KM.ad4
    3.7 KB · Views: 222

GHD

Country
england
So I don't unerstand why the aircraft is that far south of the road.

I moved the user aircraft to the centre of the flatten.

You will not see a "green" rectangle because the landclass is sand.

To make things more obvious, add an asphalt runway and some aprons and taxiways.

View attachment 22457
I moved the user aircraft to the centre of the flatten.
You will not see a "green" rectangle because the landclass is sand.
To make things more obvious, add an asphalt runway and some aprons and taxiways.
Okay. What about the outline of the polygon? Yours show the outline and mine does not. I uploaded my screen shot and you can see that it doesn't show no outline or anything.

Ken.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I previously stated in the above post, the Airport background poly might not be green and hard to see because you are in a desert.

If you want a green airport background in a desert

DO NOT use the Type: Airport Background Tag: Flatten Mask Class Map ExcludeAutoGen

USE the Type: Airport Background Tag: Flatten ExcludeAutoGen

Now cover that poly with type: Land Class Tag: Airfield1

Looks like this

fsscr018.jpg

Last edited:
Country
germany
Ken

Sorry, I saw your postings and the answers only this morning.
You obviously came across one of my "too simple explanations".
You are right, if you follow the text in the manual word by word, you end up with the result, which you got, i.e. no "green" surface.

I do not recall, what I did to make the Flatten "green" (writing the manual was a very complex task with so many details).
But let me try and find my relevant .ad4-file. It should show, what I did - and what I obviously did not write down.

In the meanwhile, follow Jim's advice :)

Helli

Country
germany
Ken

I found my original file and checked what type of ground polygon (in FSX) I used to produce in FSX what is shown in Figure 3-17/18/19 on page 34/35.

It is indeed as written in the Manual
- Type: Airport Background
- Tag: Flatten Mask Class Map ExcludeAutogen.

In my system this polygon is green.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
I used this in order to make the polygon visible.
The other polygon "Flatten Exclude Autogen" blends with the surrounding surface texture.
Please be aware, that the topic of "Terrain Modelling" is rather complex and therefore was not treated in detail in this introductory text of chapter 3.
Much more information can be found in chapter 9
-----------------------------------------------------------

Helli

Last edited:
snip----------------

I found my original file and checked what type of ground polygon (in FSX) I used to produce in FSX what is shown in Figure 3-17/18/19 on page 34/35.

It is indeed as written in the Manual
- Type: Airport Background
- Tag: Flatten Mask Class Map ExcludeAutogen.

In my system this polygon is green.

Helli

There is nothing wrong with what you wrote and it is how the SDK expects the airport mask class map (green ground) to be applied. The problem for some parts of the world is the blending of the Mask Class Map. It will not always be green in a desert.

in my post above I show a picture of Winslow AZ which is in the desert.

Las Vegas airport default mask class map is all desert color and no green.

Phoenix airport default mask class map is mostly desert color with a small amount of green blending on the east side.

My advice above is if someone wants all green with no blending (in the desert) then use landclass airfield1.