• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New Scenery Development Utilities

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just posted two new freeware utilities that may be of interest to scenery and aircraft developers to my website http://stuff4fs.com. Like most of the other applications and utilities posted there, these are items I initially developed for my own use that I felt may be useful also to others.
  • GUID and Name Processor: Generates new guids, converts between FS9 and FSX formats and changes the guid and friendly name in FSX .mdl files
  • List MDL: Generates a plain English listings of aircraft and scenery models, whether in .mdl files or collected in a .bgl file, with user-controllable level of detail
Documentation included. If either sounds useful, please feel free to download and take for a test-drive.

Also, a reminder of two of my recently updated developer applications:
  • Airfield Lighting Toolbox (AFLT): Generates a wide variety of airfield lighting elements and arrays for FS9, FSX and all versions of P3D
  • Terrain Sculptor Pro (TS Pro): Allows examination of terrain .bgls (FS9 and FSX/P3D) and creation of realistic terrain for your airports. The latter is fully functional for FSX and P3d but I still have a little work to do for FS9.
Don

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well done don. These could not have come at a better for me. I'm working on At Denis reunion (fmee). The fsx landscape is atrocious. The area is naturally mountainous but fsx brings it all the way to the airport so to have some help in correcting these issues, which take a lifetime to check with Google earth, and then in and out of ade will be appreciated.

Country
unitedstates
I just downloaded List MDL as it really sounds like exactly what I need to match the MDL with the used texture files.
However, any MDL or bgl selected gets no results, no listing, etc. The "listing" folder is empty. I have tried this with both scenery as well as aircrafts, same result. I have also selected the "animals.bgl" in the base P3D scenery (global) with the same result. Selecting a bgl does not provide a list of the library objects as is stated in the documentation.
I must be doing something very basically WRONG...any and all help/pointers is greatly appreciated.
Lemon

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Lemon, I've just tried that file. And you're right. It doesn't work as advertised. My "master" file works properly, but once saved into a /zip, it no longer works. I'm not sure why at the moment and I won't have time to investigate for a few days.

That being said, it seems you have misunderstood the purpose of the utility. It does not list models contained in a .bgl; it creates a listing of the "instructions" in a .mdl file or of a specific model in a .bgl. There are several other utilities that do what you are looking for.

Don

Country
unitedstates
Don, I apologize, the fingers get ahead of the brain...many times. I mis-stated and was not very clear.
Dont sweat the timeline...its not an emergency.
Thanks for the reply.
Lemon