• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS New to ADE for MSFS

Country
unitedstates
I have years of experience with ADE for FSX and P3D, and just getting started with MSFS. My project is to rebuild KOCF for MSFS. I've built the models and updated the airport for FSX and P3D successfully and now it's time to correct what "they" have wrong! (I have a lot of work to do!)

There are a couple of differences, nothing that can't be overcome but I need clarification on a couple of things, (probably more to come in the future).

First, THANK YOU for creating ADE for MSFS!!!

1. Do I have to shut down and re-launch MSFS after "building" the project? Or can I simply exit the "flight", Build the project and relaunch the flight for it to take effect?
2. Can I use exclusion rectangle(s) to eliminate all of "their" stuff at the airport, (taxi ways, incorrect labeling of taxiways...) or should I simply remove them entirely and start again?
3. Everything (so far) seems to be working correctly. Simconnect, placement of objects, files going in the correct directories, (Community folder)...
4. Is there a way to label the taxiway paths? For KOCF, they are ALL wrong! I'm not seeing what I saw in earlier versions. (OR it looks like the "A" "B" etc has been replaced by a number?
5. Can I "import" an existing P3D project, modify it and export it as a MSFS airport? If so, THAT would make my life a LOT easier!!!!

TB2

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
1. You may need to although some folks have reported that exiting and reloading the flight works. If you use ADE in 'Two way Editing# mode then you can see your work in 3D in the sims Dev Mode. http://scruffyduck.org.uk/ade_2020_help/TwoWayEditing.html

2. Probably not. You are likely to need to use Scenery Polygons set to exclude buildings: http://scruffyduck.org.uk/ade_2020_help/SceneryPolygons.html http://scruffyduck.org.uk/ade_2020_help/DeleteRecordsandExclusions.html

4 This is a fault with ADE 2020 property grid for taxi names. The number represents the index of the letter. This is listed to be fixed in the next update. You could make a memoir lists of index vs name to make things easier until the fix

5 You can create a MSFS project from an ADE Project for FSX/P3D. http://scruffyduck.org.uk/ade_2020_help/FromADEProject.html It may be easier to start by creating a MSFS project from stock though.

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the reply! Now I have a project that will keep me off the street at night! 😁

Country
unitedstates
Two more questions if you don't mind.

1. Taxi numbering, you say the numbering is the index of the letter. How would I make "A11" or "A5" for example?
2. Is there a way to get two ADE's launched at the same time? (ADE 20 and ADE 179) That way I could pull up my P3Dv5 airport and basically use it as a guide for the MSFS airport.

Thanks again!

TB2

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
1 - Use the taxi name list drop down

1636821926389.png

The names are listed in index order so A7 is index 8 Blank is index 0. As I say this is on the fix list but you could make a paper list of index and name for now

2 - there is a way to allow multiple instances of ADE to run at the same time. Find the global.ini text file in the ADE installation main folder. Open it with a text editor and carefully add the lines shown here in red

1636822065070.png

Save the ini file and start that ADE. Now start the second.

I can't recall if you need to repeat this for each instance but you can try that out if you get an error message

Country
unitedstates
Fantastic! Multiple instances are working fine!

I (mostly) figured out the taxi designators. Forgot you had to plug them in first! And you're right, even though it's a lot of work, I think taking the stock airport and starting from scratch is the way to go.

Thanks for all you do!

TB2

Country
unitedstates
A couple of questions about the "two way editing". I successfully followed the instructions, and was able to see an "exclusion rectangle" when I loaded my airport in ADE exactly where and how I placed it so I know the Dev mode and ADE worked properly.

1. The instructions do not state if we are supposed to "build file" after that so that it is permanently in the airport design. Wouldn't this be a necessary step?

2. The instructions show a "scenery rectangle". I cannot find a "scenery rectangle" but did find a "exclusion rectangle"

I'm attempting to remove the bogus taxi signs and misplaced taxi lights (that are in the middle of the taxiway). Is the "exclusion rectangle" the correct rectangle to use? It does not seem to be working. Bogus taxi signs are still present in scenery.

Thanks!

TB2

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
1. Switching between ADE and Dev Mode is shown in the help: http://scruffyduck.org.uk/ade_2020_help/TwoWayEditing.html

To sync from ADE to Dev Mode you need to Save the project and then reload the project in Dev Mode. The save updates the shared XML source and reloading the project makes Dev Mode read any updates.

To sync from Dev Mode to ADE you need to save the scenery in Dev Mode and then load the project again in ADE.

In each case the save is to make sure that the shared XML source is up to date and the load reloads the updates.

As far as Build is concerned you do not need to do that if working in Dev Mode since Dev Mode shows the scenery. You need to Build if you want your updates to be saved to the Sim. You can build either in ADE or Dev Mode but this does not do anything with respect to Two Way Editing. Build does not make things permanent in the design - the Save methods described above do that.

2. There is a Scenery Polygon that is used to affect terrain and also exclude certain autogenerated elements: http://scruffyduck.org.uk/ade_2020_help/SceneryPolygons.html This can be created in ADE or Dev Mode but in two way editing it is preferred to create and edit these in Dev Mode and not touch them in ADE. This is because ADE does not currently decompile scenery polys so it can read them back from Dev Mode. There are a number of ways to 'exclude' airport elements and these are shown here: http://scruffyduck.org.uk/ade_2020_help/DeleteRecordsandExclusions.html

It's not perfect by any means

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the reply, perhaps I should have asked my question differently.

I want to be able to share my airport with others in my flight sim club. Therefore, I (believe I) need to "build file" so it goes into my Community folder, and that would make it shareable. (At least, that's what I'm thinking).

Also, so far, even the "Delete Records and Exclusions.html" is not working to remove some buildings and especially the bogus taxi signs of the original airport! The bogus taxi signs are NOT part of my scenery, and when using the "two way editing" they are not present, but then they pop up when I go to start a routine flight and they are competing with my taxi signs :mad: The bogus signs are NOT part of the "list" when doing "delete records and exclusions", but MY taxi signs are. I've not found a way to eliminate them. Odd.

Thanks again! Perhaps after the madness of Thanksgiving (here) I can resume my project.

TB2

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Community in the context of the MSFS Community Folder means that it contains community created scenery. aircraft etc. Placing a package in your community folder will not make it accessible to anyone else. If you want to share your work then you need to place the package somewhere where your flight sim club can download it. Once they download it they can place it in their own community folder and hopefully see the results.

If you want to make your project that is causing problems available to me then create a project backup from the main menu

1637402770677.png

If it is small you may be able to upload it to a post here or email it to me jon AT scruffyduck DOT org or place it somewhere I can download it from

I will then take a look at it

Country
unitedstates
Once again, I must apologize for my choice of words. I was not implying that simply putting it in my "community" folder would automatically share it, but rather whatever goes in my "community" folder can be shared.

This is not my first time generating airports, models, scenery, (LOT's of experience with P3D and FSX over the years) so I'm easily trainable. ;)

I found a video on YouTube that (in the beginning) helped me a lot. Skipping the file organization part, (I like how ADE and "your" directions explain it better), and focusing on editing the original MSFS airport section really helped me. Figuring out how the new way of doing things is my biggest challenge and once I get a handle on the mechanics behind it, then I should be good to go!

Although he does not use ADE, I can figure how they both will work together to my advantage and go from there.

I'll take you up on your offer if I continue to have issues.

Thanks! TB2

Last edited: