• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA New tutorial for converting FS9 to FSX.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi,

After doing all the researches looking for a good tutorial to guide how to convert FS9 project to FSX, there is none.

I decided to do the project VTCC from Prasong at Thaiflight.com. Converted his scenery from FS9 to FSX without using any his source files, although he provided me. Looking in to his files, it might take a while to see what and where all the stufff are, cause there are hundreds of the files!!!!

Why don't convert them right from bgl files in his scenery? I though it might save my time since what is in bgl is the final one.

I converted his bgl files directly from his scenery in FS9 with his permission. With MCX, it is possible (but quite tedious with all the texture setting.)

I thing everyone in this community that has your own project in FS9 might want to convert his airport to "FSX world"

I'm done with tutorial "How to convert FS9 scenery to FSX one". English version is available here.

It took me a week to write in Thai and took me a day to translate into English. Please be aware that I'm not in English speaking country, so please don't mind my English and some mistake in Grammar, ha ha.....

Thanks Arno for making this tool. And if you want to put this tutorial in Wiki, it would be my honor. Please take consider for that.

Regards,
Tic
Jirayu Tanabodee

Last edited:
Country
spain
Thanks Tanabodee, I have made little steps converting some scenery for fsx, above all to get rid off textures which are black or trasparent, there is a freeware airport which I achieve to fix his trees, for that I had to convert the entirely airport, I had success, but I get a flickering textures in the front of the main building how I can avoid that. It's as I not finished yet with that airport.It's very annoying, dont't know if the problem is in the model or the textures itself. :confused::cool:. but if I had to retexture the building I'll do, it's something personal, always have been giving me problems, since installed:D
I used MCX, and exported like a .mdl file,

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
But I get a flickering textures in the front of the main building.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mentioned but I do get some degree of flickering in some places.

One other thing, you might need to elevate the height of the airport using ADE. Sometime the height in the default is not even. Try to elevate little by little, such as 30-50 cm.,until you get flickering out.

Country
spain
All right, but it's the building where the textures flcker, this was a scasm building, and after export as .mdl with mcx, all the textures problems are gone, but there are zones where this textures flicker and too much noticeable, become annoying, so don't know how I can resolve this issue. sorry but I thought that somebody else could have had this problem, thanks anyway and for the tutorial. :D

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
All right, but it's the building where the textures flcker, this was a scasm building, and after export as .mdl with mcx, all the textures problems are gone, but there are zones where this textures flicker and too much noticeable, become annoying, so don't know how I can resolve this issue. sorry but I thought that somebody else could have had this problem, thanks anyway and for the tutorial. :D

Could you provide me the MDL and the related texture that you have problem?
May be I'll take a look.
Are there any LODs with your model?
I'm not sure about scasm building. It is the method of making scenery before I get in scenery design.

Country
spain
Thanks for your interest, but I messed up all those files, I moved them, and have lost the flatten, airport height,:eek: I must redo all this, no problem but as I said you before there is something personal with this airport, I'll try to export the bgl file directly to the scenery from MCX or something so as I can se could be done easily, to see if I can fix the scenery by myself, if I see no solution, I could post again with this problem thank indeed, maybe read your tutorial could help, the scenery is in La Palma, a little airport which came along with the photorreal old scenery of Canarysim. but don't try to search, because you should download the entirely scenery for that, greetings:D

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Some of those old buildings were constructed with multiple overlapping polygons, but using zbias commands (or their equivalent). This avoided flashing textures when the polygons "fought" each other. When you convert them to FSX the zbias setting is lost and you get flashing textures.

Hope this helps,

Country
spain
I was hoping that trying with some value in Mcx could do the trick, but I am looking at retexturing like the only option. the zone are only three windows but they are just in front of the parking spot. of course ::p

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
It think the best way to cure this is exporting as 3ds and import back to gmax. The you can correct things up and then export back to mdl and work on XML again (changing GUID).

Country
spain
In gmax the textures will get lost, have one to remake again the textures or there is any way to get back the uv map or unwrap or whatever it's called, about the xml or guid it's no problem because I will relocate the objects anyway, but to get the textures back is the issue I have no clear at all.
I tried to export as bgl, mdl, but no way, the flickering is annoying :mad:, but I think the thing would be a lot more easy just exporting as fsx model :(:D
MCX have nothing to say about that ? in the the exporter setting I see you can change the Zbiasoffset, and little other options.

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Actually it is easy and you can do that with MCX. Just export texture to JPG and Gmax can read that.
When you export model as 3ds, the material will go with that. You just choose the right picture in the material setting, that's all.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

All UVW mapping is retained in the 3DS file.

Once you convert to 3DS, just create JPG or 24 bit BMP versions of your textures and place them into the same folder as the 3DS file.

Then open the Material Editor (red ball button) and use the Pick button to select the material for each part (by clicking it). Then click the little blue and white cube to see the texture mapped to that part. Repeat until the entire object has textures displayed. If the texture does not display, click the texture's button in the Maps section (sometimes displayed as a bizarre DOS file name) and browse to the texture you created above.

Hope this helps,

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi,
I know this thread is old.
But I'd like to comment that converting FSX to FS9 is much more difficult. ADE cannot convert AFCAD for FSX to FS9 but the other way around is much simpler.
I would suggest to do FS9 first if you want to do both versions.
Regards,
Tic

Country
spain
Too late Tic, :D, yes I knew that it's complicated to convert to Fs9, problem with the lanclass too, knowing that people is stuck with Fs9 always is good to think in a Fs9 version too.