• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Newbie question - FS9

Country
czechrepublic
Hi

I always assumed Scenproc was only for FSX and above due to seeing the guide on fsdeveloper but I was happy to find out this is not the case (THANK YOU). I am slowly trying to understand how to use the tool and I think I have the very basics almost down. I am testing on a small town before I attempt large areas.

I load OSM maps into QGIS then just strip out the buildings using the filtering and save a new shp file with just buildings. Seems fine. Scenproc loads it fine and when I load the sim there are hardly any buildings. I checked the fs9 annotator and I can see that buildings are annotated in the BMP (see the screenshot attached) but hardly any show in the sim. I have my autogen slider set to the max in the sim.

Can someone advise on what may be going wrong?

Here is my config for this test (all vegetation parts are commented out with # as I just want to test buildings for now)..

#IMPORTOGR|G:\sceneryproject\WIP\test\vegetation.shp|*|*|NOREPROJ

IMPORTOGR|G:\sceneryproject\WIP\test\building.shp|*|*|NOREPROJ
#
SPLITGRID|AGN|*|FROMFILE=building.shp
#
#SETAGNVEGETATIONSETTINGS|*|1|2|0.9|1.0|6;20|5;24
#
#REPLACEPOLYGONBYVEGETATIONRECTANGLES|FROMFILE=vegetation.shp|0.00025|-1.0|0.25
#
#CREATEAGNRECTVEG|FROMFILE=vegetation.shp
CREATEAGNGENBUILD|FROMFILE=building.shp|{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

EXPORTAGN|FS2004|G:\sceneryproject\WIP\texture

Thank you

Attachments

• agn.PNG
    agn.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 215
Country
czechrepublic
when checking some other areas it seems to work as you see from this screenshot attached I assume something in the sim is suppressing it in my other test....

EDIT: Found the reason... Ultimate terrain lights. If I disable these I see the buildings without a problem. SO now I do not want to disable them. I will test by moving the lights down in the scenery config if I can and aybe that will work unless anyone has a different suggestion?

Attachments

• agnworking.PNG
    agnworking.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
In FSX there are more ways to contol the suppression of autogen. For FS2004 there is not a lot you can do in afraid.

Country
czechrepublic
That was my fear.
I will have to just turn off the UT lights before day time flights.

Thanks

Country
czechrepublic
just one other note

REPLACEPOLYGONBYVEGETATIONRECTANGLES has never finished for me. I actually had a laptop running for 4 days. I assumed it was because the area was large(a whole county of in the UK) that it had a lot of work to do. I have now tried the development version and it finished the whole lot in less than a minute, so probably would advise FS9 users away from 1.1 ;-)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have fixed many bugs in the development release, so I would advice everyone to use it.

Country
czechrepublic
Makes sense :)

Thanks for your work Arno! This is breathing some new life into FS9 for me. My Newbie challenge I think has passed. I managed to create a config that gives me trees, buildings and road lights quite easly. The documentation you created with examples is really good, normally I have to give up on this more complicated side of things but no need this time.

Attachments

• grab_photo008.jpg
    grab_photo008.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 195
  • grab_photo007.jpg
    grab_photo007.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
  • grab_photo009.jpg
    grab_photo009.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 190

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Happy to hear you got it working and that the documentation and samples helped :)