Newbie question - how to fix a payware scenery?

Hi, I haven't done very much (at all) scenery development, but I'm trying to fix a problem when using FTX global, FTX vector, and their freeware airport pack. I love to simulate flights down in the Outer Banks, and FTX Vector is needed to add in all the beaches (otherwise the outer banks looks like rocky shores)

Near the Ocracoke island airport, W95, there's some scenery that just doesn't fit in well. I don't know what the texture is, but as you can see around the airport it completely obliterates the beach with some funky green zombie like texture.

I'm not quite sure how to start with fixing this. I don't want to disable FTX global base or vector, because without vector the shorelines don't have beaches. I did try disabling the FTX airport pack - this resulted in the airport going back to the default, which covers much less with the ugly texture but still has it present.

Any ideas on where I'd get started to fix this? My first goal would be to remove the ugly green texture...after that I may use ADE to do a photoreal scenery around the airport. Is this texture issue something that can be fixed in ADE?

Thanks!
Scott

w95 picture 2.jpg

Hi Dave, thank you! Is there any way to know what exactly the green texture is? I'm not sure if it's an airport boundary, a landclass, a polygon of some other type, etc. I have figured out a few things mostly by trial and error:

1. Removing the FTX airport bgl ADE_FTX_FTXG_W95.BGL results in airport enhancements going away, but the ugly green texture is still there. I found out this is the airport file by wildcard searching on W95
2. Removing a FTX file called ADE_FTX_FTXG_W95_CVX.bgl results in the ugly green texture reverting back to it's FSX original size and shape (a box that surrounds the runway a lot more tightly than the Orbx version does)

The issue I'm hitting now is that I can open the airport BGL using ADE, but haven't figured out how to open the _CVX.bgl file. ADE complains that it contains no airports and therefore can't open it, and in SBuilderX (the only other tool I've seen) there isn't an option to open a .bgl file. So I'm a little lost in how to even determine exactly what this is. I'm guessing (?) it might be a airport background? (whatever that is)...but I think it could be a landclass also.

I'll play a bit tonight and see if I can figure out if a small rectangular exclude near the runway shows up or not...and if so what type of exclude clears it up.

Thanks!
Scott

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
In TmfViewer I identified the polygon as:
LandClassPoly_Dry_Crop_And_Town {C5693B2C-41B0-434B-87A6-F4AE1815FE11}
You might want to check yourself as it looks different in my installation than on your screenshot.

you can use SBuilderX (or maybe also ADE) to create an exclude polygon that has the exact same GUID. It is enough for the two polygons' bounding boxes to intersect.
I suggest you also draw an airport background the way you like it to be.

Woo hoo that did it! I had also seen posts saying TmfViewer could show what landclass was visible...but even though I was able to launch it and get to the right area, I couldn't figure out how to actually observe the landclass values.

It's also very odd, in ADE I just drew a very small polygon next to the runway with "exclude specific landclass poly dry crop and town" - and it seemed to remove almost an entire section of it. Left a little bit still showing in one corner. I'm suspecting that maybe landclass has a specific grid or something and that the entire grid gets the same landclass.

Like I said, I'm very new - but thank you very much for the assist!
Scott

In TmfViewer I identified the polygon as:
LandClassPoly_Dry_Crop_And_Town{C5693B2C-41B0-434B-87A6-F4AE1815FE11}
You might want to check yourself as it looks different in my installation than on your screenshot.

you can use SBuilderX (or maybe also ADE) to create an exclude polygon that has the exact same GUID. It is enough for the two polygons' bounding boxes to intersect.
I suggest you also draw an airport background the way you like it to be.