• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Night Lighting - shape setting ?

Country
unitedstates
Hi Folks,

Quick question - built some cheesy little simple houses - for filler - using the default FS9 building textures... So these already have the LM texture sheet as well... My houses look normal during daylight - but - they don't seem to be using the "lighted" texture at night... Is there a setting in the shape file to get them to use the associated night texture ? When building the model I just mapped the surfaces to the "default" daylight texture... Kind of thought the FS9 program would know to use the LM lighted sheet for night display...

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
im definately no expert on night lighting, but did you make sure to convert back to DXTBMP after making the night textures? I have noticed conversion to be a primary issue when people are making night textures.
Beyond that, I am still trying to figure out the night textures and light splashing myself.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Scott,

Did you assign the night texture in your material as well? For FS2004 it has to go into the ambient texture slot of the material.

Country
unitedstates
Hey Guys,

Thanks for he responses... Yeah - I'm not making the textures - I'm just mapping to the default texture sheets that already exist - which have an associated night texture sheet...

Than must be it Arno - I'm not using the standard modeling packages - so I'll see if I can figure it out... I had thought FS9 realized there was an associated night texture for a given shape - just by the file naming convention... I guess that's not it... Then I also thought there was a variable in the shape file itself - to allow the texture to be visible/glow at night... I'll see if I can figure out your suggestion relative to my modeling package...

Appreciate the help - folks...
:)

Regards,
Scott

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Scott,

No, FS will not do it automatically.

Which tools are you using? Somehow it should make the MDL file (or an X file). So in that file the right information should be set.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Arno,

Ok - thanks... I'm using a program called "3D Crafter" previously called "3D Canvas" that is pretty popular on the other side of the other side of the fence - MSTS... I used to build steam locomotives... I export in Direct X and then make my MDL using the standard MSFS tools...

I'll see if I can figure out how to implement your suggestion...

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Sounds like you need to alter the material definition in the x file then. The ambient texture needs to be added to it.

Country
us-california
Hi Arno,

Ok - thanks... I'm using a program called "3D Crafter" previously called "3D Canvas" that is pretty popular on the other side of the other side of the fence - MSTS... I used to build steam locomotives... I export in Direct X and then make my MDL using the standard MSFS tools...

I'll see if I can figure out how to implement your suggestion...

Regards,
Scott

When you run the X file through MakeMDL, go to the options, and check "HasNightMap". Even if you exported the model without an ambient texture, it will change it in the mdl on conversion.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
True, but that will give all textures a night texture. Might not always be what you want.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Folks,

Still can't get the night texture to work - model attached... I did run it through Model Tweaker and it has both the day and night texture listed... Day works fine - night never shows up... Textures based on default autogen textures... Any ideas ?

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• House01S1.mdl
    1.5 KB · Views: 375

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

MDL Tweaker uses _LM for the night textures, but for the texture you used the name is BLDB2LM.BMP, not BLDB2_LM.BMP. So therefore the night texture is not found.

With manual ASM tweaking you could put the correct night texture name in.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Arno,

Man - if you only had a dollar for every post you helped someone out - you'd be a very rich man... I think I have it now - thanks so much for your time !
:)

Regards,
Scott