• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Night texture on 3D text fill

Hello,
I have designed 3d text on a building made through SU and then managed through MCX to create MDL. This text in MCX has a texture color (so MCX detects it). Is there a way to create a night version (basically text filled in white color) through MCX or with other tools?

Thanks a lot!

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Take the daylight texture you created in SU... and edit it in a photo editor, such as GIMP or Photoshop, so that it will appear as it was lighted. After you have finished edit it.. save as a light map texture. Then place it in the proper light map slot in MCX.

Hello Doug,
thank you for taking care.
What you write appears to me the standard way.
To make my issue more clear I created just a 3D text in red.
I here attach.
If you open it with MCX you'll find its color (red).
My question is: how do you create a night texture of it?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.zip
    52.1 KB · Views: 126

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Text, done as you have here, would not be fps friendly. Could slow down a computer to a crawl... Your best option in doing what you want, is to go into your Photo Editor and do the text there and place it on the structure (whatever you plan on doing with it). Even from your Photo Editor (again, GIMP or Photoshop) you can make it 2D or 3D as well. From that point you can edited it for daytime and night time textures. This way would be much easier than going through SketchUp, I think and save fps as well.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Doug is correct, this type of object is very hard on frame rates. But if you still want to use it you can convert the colored polygons into textured polygons using MCX by going to Special Tools/Burn Material Colors into Textures. Once you have the day texture, then you can copy/paste that and turn it into a night texture. Then add that to the Emissive Texture slot in the MCX Material Editor.

Hello,
I solved through MCX.
I used my approach (kept 3D SU text which is far better than any of GIMP or Photoshop ones) and played with:
ALLOW BLOOM true + ALLOW EMISSIVE BLOOM true + AMBIENT LIGHT SCALE = 1 + BLOOM MATERIAL BY COPYING true + BLOOM MATERIAL MODULATING BY COPYING true
It works perfectly.
No impact with graphical processing (maybe because the text is not huge).

Thank to you all for helping me!

Cheers

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
There is always more ways to... skin a .... well you know what I mean... :D. Glad you found a way in doing it!