• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

NightMaps

Country
unitedstates
Hi all, I have no problem using the import texture from file, and then paint bucket to apply it, but when it comes to night textures with sketchup and Model Converter X I am having some trouble figuring things out.

First off, I don't see anywhere in SketchUp (2017 free) to select a "night" mode or anything like that that allows me to add night textures.

So I've tried the old edit the original texture in gimp, export as the same name with _LM. Every time I do that though, in Model Converter X that specific _LM texture file is always invalid. It is usually greyed out from being resized / converted with the others, and assigning it to the night map in MCX gives those white and black checkers.

This seems to me that MCX doesn't know where to put this basically picture so it just does nothing with it.

My question is how to assign night maps / textures in SketchUp if that is possible, or other ways to do this. {I've tried downloading Gmax, but can't figure out the registration code thing}

Any help is appreciated!

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
You are following the correct procedure, there must be an issue with your technique. Try using your same day texture with a _LM extension. When that works, try saving textures in .jpg and navigate to a _LM suffixed .jpg and allow MCX to perform the format conversion. I am sure it is some small resize, or format situation that will expose itself when you switch things up a bit.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi all, I have no problem using the import texture from file, and then paint bucket to apply it, but when it comes to night textures with sketchup and Model Converter X I am having some trouble figuring things out.

First off, I don't see anywhere in SketchUp (2017 free) to select a "night" mode or anything like that that allows me to add night textures.

SketchUp (any version) does not have a "night" mode. Considering the checkerboard pattern is caused (usually) when the textures aren't in the proper directory (or folder). The creation of the Light maps (night) are through your Photo Editor (such as Photoshop, GIMP and even PSE) and applied using MCX,... make sure they are in the proper folder layout:

"your folder name"\model location (skp, dae or mdl)\
"your folder name"\"texture" (folder - the same location as the model\
"your folder name"\object folder name\ (all jpg files)

Once you open MCX and load your dae file, MCX will use only the diffuse textures within the folder of the object name. All will be jpg files. Your Light maps and converted diffused should be in the texture folder.

Hope that helps....

Country
unitedstates
I'm not exactly sure what I am doing wrong. I just open the texture in gimp, edit and then export as .jpg as _LM. I've tried both in a separate texture folder and in the same folder as the other .jpg's and still nothing. If I even rename the original texture .jpg for a panel to _LM that will not show up anymore.

I'm just a bit confused, I feel like when a name is altered / changed the physical .jpg is no longer 'assigned' to a portion of the building.

I've attached my little file structure, so maybe it might be easier to view instead of read.

Attachments

• T-Hangars Closed.zip
    309.6 KB · Views: 205

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ok, you have to assign the textures, you can't just name the textures and leave it to MCX to assign them.
Here's an image with the _LM texture assigned:

cmYISAuh.jpg

You can see in the Textures section, on the very last line for Nightmap texture, Siding1_LM has been assigned, by clicking on the assignment field, navigating to the folder and selecting. If you follow the default folder conventions of the simulator, you can usually just type the texture name in the field and MCX will actually find and assign it.

Country
unitedstates
Absolutely! I forgot to mention that.
At this point I don't know if I'm just stupid or what. Where did you put those .jpg's? What version of model converter X are you using? Each time when I open the mass texture editor, the _LM is not there either, so I go into the material editor seen here to add them. My material editor doesn't look exactly like that though... I add the Siding1_LM.jpg but it just never loads correctly. I've tried putting it in the same 'T-Hangars closed' folder as well as the 'texture' folder.
Capture.JPG

Country
unitedstates
-Resolved (for now lol)-

Found and upgraded to Model Converter X 1.4.0 (From 1.3 maybe this was bugged in that version?) First download on this list:
https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/

Noted, it only works with the _LM in the 'texture' folder. Also clicked apply at the top of the material editor.

Only question with this version: I like to export as .MDL, do I need to manually convert all the texture to .dds via right click, convert, dds? Or is there a way to automatically do this? Found it!

Thank you all for the help so far! Hopefully it will be a bit more smooth here on out!

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
You will need to convert the textures prior to compiling the objects into models (mdl)...