No custom lights found in this file

Hi all, still new to airport scenery design. I am wanting to add some custom lights from AFLT to a simple airport I made in ADE for P3Dv4. Read through the manual many times, but something just isn't clicking for me.

I can't seem to make the link the between the two programs. Am I supposed to import the model I want from the AFLT Base Models folder into my own library BGL then import that BGL into ADE's Library Object Manager to then hand place the object? Or is AFLT supposed to create that library and put the lights in their correct places based on position information provided from an XML? Sounds like the latter. But I keep getting a "No custom lights found in this file" when trying to create the library in AFLT so I'm assuming it's looking for position information in the ADE XML file and not finding it. I just have no idea how to get that info in there so I'm completely lost.

Can someone walk me through the correct process of creating a PAPI (as an example) in AFLT and placing it in ADE?

Thanks for your patience with me.

Tony

gadgets

Resource contributor
Hi Tony. Let's go back to first principles.

The display of a scenery object has two prerequisites: an object library (.bgl) file containing the model data for the object and positioning data either in the same .bgl or in another ,bgl file in an active scenery folder. AFLT generates the object library and places it and the associated textures in the scenery folder you designate.

Positioning data for AFLT objects may be in your airport file (generated by ADE), in an array file (generated by AFLT) or in some other ,bgl file (generated independently by you). If you are placing approach lights, AFLT's Array function is probably your "best bet". For runway and taxiway lights, ADE is a better vehicle. Load the AFLT-generated library file into ADE with ADE's Object Library Manager (thus making the guids of the AFLT library objects known to ADE) and then place these library objects on ADE's display. Compile the ADE file into the scenery folder containing the AFLT object library file.

That's all there is to it.

Good Luck,
Don

Thanks Don. I think I follow. The problem is I can't seem to get AFLT to generate the library. It wants that XML and when I give it my ADE XML it throws the subject error.

So I think I'm missing how to generate the position data within ADE (or another BGL) that AFLT is looking for to close that loop.

I'll also give the Array method a go and see what happens.

I'm sorry for the noob questions but I greatly appreciate the guidance!

gadgets

Resource contributor
Oops! I hadn't realized boot-strapping was necessary.

Ignore the warning. You should still be able to generate the library. Once you've done that, follow the earlier directions, create a new airport XML and re-generate the library.

Assuming this works for you, I'll make a note in the user manual.

Don

Ah, ok. Let me collect my hair off the floor, haha.

So no, it's not creating the library after the error. Nothing at all gets created. This is with the latest Dev release, by the way. 3.0.01.

Man, so close now I can taste it. My PAPI model is showing up in the right place now, just no light effects yet.

To hopefully help others, this has been my workflow so far. This is for KSSF.

1. Started AFLT and set my library folder to my SceneryDevelopment/KSSF/AFLT folder
2. Set the Airport ICAO to KSSF
3. Set my Scenery Folder Path to c:\MyAddonScenery\KSSF\Scenery folder
4. Under Element I clicked New and created the name KSSF_RWY32_PAPI
5. I set the type to Effect
6. I chose the Format as Std
7. I chose the Light Type as PAPI-Left
8. I set the Orientation to 320, the runway heading.
9. Clicked Create/Save Element
10. Clicked on Make Library and chose KSSF_RWY32_PAPI from the FSX models available and set the Base FileName for Libraries to lib_AFLT_Lights (the default lib_AF_Lights was a little vague)
11. Clicked Create/Save Library, clicked through the No XML message and OK at the no custom lights found popup.
12. Opened ADE and went to Tools/Library Object Manager
13. Clicked Add File and chose the lib_AFLT_Lights_FSX_Bases.BGL created in my SceneryDevelopment/KSSF/AFLT folder
14. Once it identified the new model I clicked Save to save the imported model
15. In the ADE main window I went to the location of the PAPI lights and right clicked > Add Library Object and chose the new PAPI light, placed it, and ensured it was facing the right way.
16. Compiled the airport and copied the BGL files over to the c:\MyAddonScenery\KSSF\Scenery folder, noting a lib_AFLT_Lights_FSX_Bases.bgl file was automatically put there by AFLT
17. Fired up P3Dv4 and see the PAPI model is in the the right place. But not lit up. Hmm.

That said, let me make sure I put everything in the right place...

1. I copied the model that was created in the SceneryDevelopment/AFLT/AFLT for P3D/SimObjects folder to the P3D/SimObjects/Misc folder
2. I copied all the textures from the AFLT program BaseModels/Textures folder into my custom airport's texture folder
3. I copied all the effects from the AFLT program Effects/FSX_P3D folder to the P3D/effects folder, and the associated texture file into the P3D/effects/texture folder

Phew. Let me know what I did right and what I did wrong. Must have missed something along the way.

gadgets

Resource contributor
That said, let me make sure I put everything in the right place...

1. I copied the model that was created in the SceneryDevelopment/AFLT/AFLT for P3D/SimObjects folder to the P3D/SimObjects/Misc folder
2. I copied all the textures from the AFLT program BaseModels/Textures folder into my custom airport's texture folder
3. I copied all the effects from the AFLT program Effects/FSX_P3D folder to the P3D/effects folder, and the associated texture file into the P3D/effects/texture folder
You shouldn't have to manually place any files. In PV4, only some of the files go into your scenery folder - and AFLT puts them where they belong. The others are placed (by AFLT) in Documents\Prepar3d v4 Addons\AFLT for P3D. Check that the latter folder exists.

If you still don't see your lights, please send me your Library Folder (see user manual for definition). That's the only way I can fully see what you've done.

Don

I see. Nothing is being placed by AFLT in the Addons folder. So there is no AFLT for P3D folder in there. Maybe that's part of the issue. P3D isn't starting the SimObjects module because the Addon isn't in the Addons folder.

Never got permissions errors because AFLT is not on the C drive, but my custom addon folder and P3D are. I'm guessing since I didn't run as Admin that is playing into all this somehow.

Let me try to Uninstall and Reinstall and then run with Admin privileges the first time. If that doesn't clear it up we'll go from there.