• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

no power gauge

Country
us-newyork
I'm attempting to create a modification to our Pitcairn autogyro that would in effect prevent primary engine from developing sufficient power to take off if the rotor (actually engine 2) is not running. Would anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed or an example of such a thing? Much appreciated,thanks

Hey Spad,

You could create a hidden gauge with simple logic that says

If Engine2 is at zero to 30 or 40 percent ( *what ever percentage that could cause the craft not to be able to take flight), then the spoiler is deployed.

Next, place the settings into the airfile for a Spoiler. This will function invisibly. You can also set Spoiler dynamics in the AIR file so that it causes negative lift, which may be better in your case.

Thus, if you take it up, and you kill Engine2, it would fall like a rock, or what ever settings you give it for a reaction you need.

Also, if you were on the ground and Engine2 wasnt fired up, it would only run up and down the runway, not taking off.

Its just an idea. Wozza has been telling us about some good tricks that you can do with Spoilers. This might be what you need.

Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply. here are the gauges we have that are working

No Lift (limits the lift so as to keep it flying off like a rocket ship) uses spoilers
<Gauge Name="NoLift">
<Element>
<Select>
<Value>
(A:GENERAL ENG2 RPM,rpm) 1000 &lt; if{ (&gt;K:SPOILERS_ON) } els{ (&gt;K:SPOILERS_OFF)} </Value>
</Select>
</Element>
</Gauge>

To mitigate the thrust we used this:
<Gauge Name="NoThrust">
<Element>
<Select>
<Value>
(A:GENERAL ENG2 RPM,rpm) 600 &gt; if{ (&gt;K:THROTTLE2_CUT) } </Value>
</Select>
</Element>
</Gauge>

I read a thread where a fellow was attempting to simulate a drag chute using hidden flaps with the drag scalar set to 10, so I tried this:

<Gauge Name="NoFly">
<Element>
<Select>
<Value>(A:GENERAL ENG2 RPM,rpm) 100 &lt; if{ (&lt;K:FLAPS_ON) } els{ (&lt;K:FLAPS_OFF) }</Value>
</Select>
</Element>
</Gauge>

and added these etries to the aircraft configuration file

[flaps.0] //Trailing Edge Flaps
type = 1 // 1 - tail, 2 - lead
span-outboard = 10.0 // 0.0 .. 1.0
extending-time =1 // seconds
flaps-position.0 = 0 // degrees
flaps-position.1 = 90 // degrees
damaging-speed = 140 // KIAS
blowout-speed = 175 // KIAS
lift_scalar = 0.0
drag_scalar = 10.0
pitch_scalar= 0.0
system_type = 3 //0=Electric, 1=Hydraulic, 2=Pneumatic, 3=Manual, 4=None

[electrical]
max_battery_voltage = 12.0
generator_alternator_voltage = 14.0
max_generator_alternator_amps = 60.0
electric_always_available = 0

flap_motor = 0, 5 , 7.0

I can see no discernible difference in the flight characteristics. Did I miss something?

Thanks

Last edited:
AFAIK, you must set the flap and spoiler drag in the AIR file first (section 1101, as I remember). Then the drag or spoiler scalars in the cfg file will affect those numbers. The spoiler setting is in the Geometry section of the cfg file, as I remember:

spoiler_limit=60.0

Hope this helps,

AFAIK, you must set the flap and spoiler drag in the AIR file first (section 1101, as I remember). Then the drag or spoiler scalars in the cfg file will affect those numbers. The spoiler setting is in the Geometry section of the cfg file, as I remember:

spoiler_limit=60.0

Hope this helps,

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll give that a shot this evening.

Okay we gave that a try with no difference. There must be something else we're missing on this

Hey Spad,

I spotted (I believe) an error in your code;

<Value>(A:GENERAL ENG2 RPM,rpm) 100 &lt; if{ (&lt;K:FLAPS_ON) } els{ (&lt;K:FLAPS_OFF) }</Value>

I believe you would want this;

<Value>(A:GENERAL ENG2 RPM,rpm) 100 &lt; if{ (>K:FLAPS_ON) } els{ (>K:FLAPS_OFF) }</Value>

It can also be &gt; as well as > But less then, I do not think will trigger the animation.

I would be experimenting with a lever percentage, like 50% Spoiler or Flaps, etc. Just a thought. Your way though will get quick answers for getting something at least functioning.

Bill

Hi Mate
Got ya email but will answer it here as this may need some community input :)
This is all untested and basically kick the cat, run it up the flag pole sort of thing :)
Anyway if it was me Id do it via flaps/lift and 1 engine

First the flight model
with the below gauge NOT loaded set up the FDE so with the flaps up the aircraft wont take off, try reducing the wing span so at full speed it will just float of the ground..play with the weight_and_balance section as well.......

now with something like this automate the flaps
Code:
<Gauge Name="U spin me round" Version="1.0">
 <Update Frequency="6"/>
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (L:Throttle,enum) != (L:Rotor,enum) 0 == &amp;&amp; if{ 0 10 (A:Airspeed select indicated or 

true,mph) rng if{ 0 (>K:FLAPS_SET) (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (&gt;L:throttle,enum) } } 
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (L:Throttle,enum) != (L:Rotor,enum) 0 == &amp;&amp; if{ 11 21 (A:Airspeed select indicated or 

true,mph) rng if{ 1343 (>K:FLAPS_SET) (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (&gt;L:throttle,enum) } } 
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (L:Throttle,enum) != (L:Rotor,enum) 0 == &amp;&amp; if{ 22 32 (A:Airspeed select indicated or 

true,mph) rng if{ 10047 (>K:FLAPS_SET) (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (&gt;L:throttle,enum) } } 
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (L:Throttle,enum) != (L:Rotor,enum) 0 == &amp;&amp; if{ 33 43 (A:Airspeed select indicated or 

true,mph) rng if{ 11455 (>K:FLAPS_SET) (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (&gt;L:throttle,enum) } }
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (L:Throttle,enum) != (L:Rotor,enum) 0 == &amp;&amp; if{ 44 54 (A:Airspeed select indicated or 

true,mph) rng if{ 12159 (>K:FLAPS_SET) (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (&gt;L:throttle,enum) } } 
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (L:Throttle,enum) != (L:Rotor,enum) 0 == &amp;&amp; if{ 64 74 (A:Airspeed select indicated or 

true,mph) rng if{ 12863 (>K:FLAPS_SET) (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (&gt;L:throttle,enum) } }
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (L:Throttle,enum) != (L:Rotor,enum) 0 == &amp;&amp; if{ 75 85 (A:Airspeed select indicated or 

true,mph) rng if{ 13215 (>K:FLAPS_SET) (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (&gt;L:throttle,enum) } }
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>
  <Element>
    <Select>
      <Value>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (L:Throttle,enum) != (L:Rotor,enum) 0 == &amp;&amp; if{ 86 100 (A:Airspeed select indicated or 

true,mph) rng if{ 16383 (>K:FLAPS_SET) (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) (&gt;L:throttle,enum) } }
      </Value>
    </Select>
 </Element>
</Gauge>

The above is rough as and will need calibrating but for testing purps works.
The L:rotor var is set for 0 for testing but can be use to model the rotor brake...Now adjust the flap lift_scalar so that as the airspeed rises and the flaps deploy the lift will be sufficient at the right speed to give a believable FDE...You have the above gauge which you can adjust the speed and what indent the flaps are at a given speed, also in the aircraft.cfg you have the speed at which the flaps deploy the angle the size ect ect, so there is plenty of variable to use to get it right :)

Ok becuse we are now only using 1 motor you will need the main rotor to animate I personally think the closer you get to real world the better...of the top of my head
you could use this code its untested and may need a bit of community input
as Im getting rusty :)
Code:
<PartInfo>
    <Name>adim_still</Name>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) 3 &lt; if{ 1 } els{ 0 }</Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>adim_slow</Name>
    <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
    <Animation>
    <Parameter>
        <Code>
           (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,degrees per second) (E:ABSOLUTE TIME, second) * 360 % 3.6 /
        </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Animation>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) 3 &gt; 
            if{ (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) 15 &lt; if{ 1 } els{ 0 }
                    } els{ 0 }
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>adim_blurred</Name>
    <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
    <Animation>
    <Parameter>
        <Code>
           (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,degrees per second) (E:ABSOLUTE TIME, second) * 360 % 3.6 /
        </Code>
    </Parameter>
    </Animation>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>(A:Airspeed select indicated or true,mph) 15 &gt; if{ 1 } els{ 0 }</Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>
Its based on code Ive used before but there maybe typo's, syntax errors as I quickly did it from memory :)
Once again it will need calibrating to suit the speed of the aircraft, there is no rotor lock in the code I cant think of a way to implement it to slow the blades down slowly...pretty sure its doable but is going to need some complicated code....
anyway thats my spin on it.... use it.... abuse it or ignore it ;)
Wozza

Well that"s a novel set of ideas worth trying and we will. Thanks loads and we'll post results we we bang along

With a spoiler deployed though, your engine instruments would still read high power and the sound would reflect that, right?

I would do it by putting a SimConnect client in a C gauge and intercepting and masking the throttle axis and key commands and then you could limit them to whatever you want under different conditions.

Si

Back