non-textured lit up materials

Hi,

I have tried to, in vein though, to use non-textured materials in GMAX to achieve having an object be white during the day and be self-illuminated at night. What I am thinking of is some cube made of frosted (white) glass, which appears white during the day, but has for instance a red light bulb in it and therefore should appear in some sort of red at night.

The things I have tried is using a material name that starts with 'BRIGHT_', using the 'Self-Illumination' checkbox and colour for the material, using the value there if the colour is not checked, lock and unlock the ambient and diffuse colours. All was unsuccessful. Is this possible at all for FS2004 ? Perhaps I have to resort to monchrome textures to achieve that ?

Regards,
Siggy

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I have seen some strange things with only colors in Fs2004.

When I made an object completely without textures, it only showed when I was in slew mode and not in normal mode. Maybe this is only when you keep the default GMax colors and don't apply another color or texture as material.

As far as I know the bright_ option should still work, but GMax does not allow you to display a different color at day and at night. So you should be able to see the same color at day and night and then lit up at night.

Thanks, Arno. Other parts of the object I have textured. I guess this can only be done with textures. Do you know the smallest size of texture we can use today ?

Regards,
Siggy

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I think it is 1x1 or 2x2. But even if you make it a bit bigger like 16x16 the size is still very small.