• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Noob for help!

Country
china
i wanna DIY a airport.but i dont know what kinds of software will be used in a design for a noob.if someone know this. please told me(A link will be better) : )

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you are just starting out:

Airports: ADE
Terrain, roads, polygons: ADE
Buildings: download libraries from the net, add them to the LOM in ADE, and add them as 3D Objects to your ADE file.

Later you could learn Sketchup (or GMAX) and create custom buildings.

Country
germany

Buildings: download libraries from the net, add them to the LOM in ADE, and add them as 3D Objects to your ADE file.

Tom,

As I never really worked on models (I just started with payware "Instant Object Studio") your hint regarding Sketchup looks quite promising. It's ages ago that I tried GMAX and even if I have some experience in 3D-modelling I never made it following this path. Now I understand that there should be a common data format that is usable for MSFS, right?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you have Instant Object Studio you can start with that, if you like.

I'm not sure what you mean by a common data format. Any format capable of being converted to an FS MDL file can be used to create scenery objects. And ModelConverterX has many choices to do just that.

Country
germany
If you have Instant Object Studio you can start with that, if you like.

I'm not sure what you mean by a common data format. Any format capable of being converted to an FS MDL file can be used to create scenery objects. And ModelConverterX has many choices to do just that.

Thanks Tom for the answer. I just meant what you wrote, having the capability to produce a file that can be converted. I don't have any experience in this field and I did not know about the possibilities provided by ModelConverterX.

Country
china

Tom.thanks for u help.ok,i may try to learn the ADE at first.it looks like a most important application for a noob or airport design~ : )

Country
unitedkingdom
Another noob here; produced my first airfield, but a bit confused about adding buildings; theres a mention earlier in the thread about downloading libraries from the net (to compliment the provided library with ADE) but I've not found anything... looking for WW2 style hangers / towers /buildings in particular; can't believe someone hasnt done this yet!

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
There are British ones; search for RAF in the file libraries. I don't know of any libraries specific to US WWII hangars, etc.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I use AVSIM and Flightsim.com. Any libraries designed for Rwy12, EZ Scenery, or Instant Scenery will work fine.

Search for:

raf library