• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Normal maps using MapZone

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Interesting, but this is supposed to be "easier" than using the nVidia plugin? :confused:

Country
germany
Interesting, but this is supposed to be "easier" than using the nVidia plugin? :confused:

I know, Bill. I should have made it a video tutorial... :eek: It's easier than it reads. And you only have to create this filter once. After that, it's a matter of loading a heightmap and exporting your .DDS to the sim (no imagetool). I actually use MapZone to create a standard normal map for the 3D-viewport while modelling. If I had to flatten and generate it via NVIDIA-plugin to check on every little change in the texture, I would spend most of my time doing just that. The cool thing about mapzone is that you can actually create a texture set from and linked to your workfiles that updates your final textures in a one-click process. I will complete the tut on that point (and maybe append the filter-file for the lazy reader...).

And for the little plus, the MapZone normal maps are more accurate, lines are thinner (2 vs. 3 pixels NVIDIA) and overall less blurry... Don't take my word on that, give it a try and compare. I know I am "detailverliebt", don't spank me for that :D

Cheers

Thanks for that, I was looking for something with a bit more control than the Nvidia plugin, and this does a great job.

You are right -- once it is set up to my liking I can just load each texture and export, just takes a few seconds.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
And for the little plus, the MapZone normal maps are more accurate, lines are thinner (2 vs. 3 pixels NVIDIA) and overall less blurry... Don't take my word on that, give it a try and compare. I know I am "detailverliebt", don't spank me for that :D

Cheers

Oh, but I like to spank people! :D

Thanks for the expanded explanation, Felix. Sigh, now I have yet another tool to learn and try out... :duck:

Country
germany
Oh, but I like to spank people! :D

Thanks for the expanded explanation, Felix. Sigh, now I have yet another tool to learn and try out... :duck:

You're welcome, sir. I'm just learning it myself...

Thanks for that, I was looking for something with a bit more control than the Nvidia plugin, and this does a great job.

Getting more control is what triggered my quest, too. There is another prominent tool for normal maps only, called Crazybump ($ 20 I think...) which would be excellent if pixel resolution wasn't so crucial to FSX texturing... Forget about thin panel lines with that one...

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I tested CrazyBump back when it first came out. I wasn't terribly impressed with it at all.

Actually, I quite liked the Crazybump beta (results-wise, rather that the interface), but didn't like the US$299 pricetag for the full version. I haven't used bumpmaps since the beta expired, so MapZone is a welcome addition.

Country
germany
UPDATE!

I forgot to indicate the alpha value for the first Uniform Color node. I have updated the tut accordingly. Values are (R=0, G=255, B=255, A=63).

Crazybump is not so bad at all. It just doesn't make the lines thin enough... :D