• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Not able to choose target FS version - AIFP - FSX-SE

Country
norway
Hello!

I installed FSX SE on my computer one month ago and I downloaded the newest version of AIFP (v. 3.1.18).
When the Main Screen appear (where you have lists for flight plans, airports and aircrafts) after I launch it, I'm not able to select my target FS version. I suspect that it is because my FSX SE is located in this path (E:)/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX.
Is there anyone who is familiar with this problem or have some ideas about a solution?
Maybe I have to set the path manually in the AIFP configuration file that comes with AIFP?

/Alexander

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Alexander, it shouldn't matter where Steam is installed - so long as it has been installed properly. AIFP determines where the various versions of Flightsim are installed by examining the system registry and then checking that the proper .exe file exists at that location. In the case of Steam, AIFP looks for the "AppPath" key in the registry item
"Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0" and then confirms that there is a file named "FSX.exe" in that folder.

Please take a look at your system registry for that item and confirm it points to a folder containing FSX.exe.

The path you noted seems normal enough, so long as the Steam installer put it there, i.e., that you didn't install somewhere else and then move it to your E: drive.

But, as you suggested, if you enter the correct path into the aifp.ini item "Path to FSX_SE=", AIFP will use that path instead of looking in the registry.

Don

Country
norway
Thank you for the quick reply!

How would you type in the path after "Path to FSX_SE="?

Like this for instance?
E:/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX/...?

/Alexander

Country
norway
While at it, I encountered some more problems...
You see, most of my options are greyed out. I cannot click on the "Start new FP". I cannot acces my aircraft folder either...

/Alexander

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
"Path to FSX_SE=E:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX".

You see, most of my options are greyed out. I cannot click on the "Start new FP". I cannot acces my aircraft folder either...
Nothing attached to see. IN any case, you must have a Target Version selected before those other features can be used.

Don

Country
norway
I forgot to attach the picture, but somehow I made it through that part.
The only I problem I seem to have now is the compiling part...
The "compile" button is greyed out. I will send some pictures so that you'll get an idea of what I see.

A message pops up when I click the "Select Compile Parameters" and tells me "save to E:/Steam/steamapps/common/FSX/Scenery/World/scenery specified, but target version different" ...
I cannot understand how. As far as I know the target version is in that path...

Attachments

• AIFP Home Screen Compile Problem.JPG
    AIFP Home Screen Compile Problem.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 827
  • Compile Parameters.JPG
    Compile Parameters.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 993

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The disabled Compile button was due to AIFP not correctly processing certain variables when the then specified Target Version was not located in the system registry. This problem is fixed in Development Release 3.1.18(s), now available at http://stuff4fs.com. I suspect the "but target version different" message was a side effect of this issue since I was unable to duplicate it.

Alexander, I suspect you will continue to experience difficulties - which will be fixable but nonetheless annoying - because you seem to be the first user to insist on using AIFP with a version of Flightsim not properly registed. I'm happy to continue to investigate and resolve such difficulties. But, I can't help but think you'd be better off addressing the underlying issue.

Don

Country
norway
Thanks for letting me know, Don.

I downloaded the Development Release 3.1.18(s) now and I'm back where I started with my FS not located (target version greyed out).
I see this an opportunity to take on the underlying issue and avoid the difficulties I would've met if I continued the way I did.
So, where should I go from here? Any suggestions?

Thanks again for taking your time to respond! I have been using an earlier version of the AIFP before and never experienced any problems with locating FSX... That's why it's frustrating to encounter all the annoying problems and do everything manually. Right now I don't feel like having control of where the right paths and folders are...

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I downloaded the Development Release 3.1.18(s) now and I'm back where I started with my FS not located (target version greyed out).
Yes, you'll have to reinstate the entry in aifp.ini. The problem I fixed was that that entry was destroyed when you closed AIFP, causing your Compile button to be disabled on the next startup. Short of scanning your entire hard disk, there is no other way for AIFP to determine the location of FSX-SE.

So, where should I go from here? Any suggestions?
I see only two alternatives. The first is to reinstate the entry in aifp.ini and hope there are no more issues. The other is to investigate and resolve the system registry issue. To repeat yesterday's message, AIFP looks at the "AppPath" key in the registry item "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0" and then confirms that there is a file named "FSX.exe" in that folder. Either the registry key doesn't exist, or the .exe doesn't exist at the specified location. RegEdit (supplied with windows) allows you access the system registry. So long as you don't change anything, it's safe to use.

I have been using an earlier version of the AIFP before and never experienced any problems with locating FSX
Are you referring to FSX or to FSX-SE? Which earlier version? I and, it appears, numerous others use AIFP with Steam without difficulty. So, you might also consider what else you may have done to your system in the interim besides upgrading to 3.1.18.

Don

Country
norway
I see only two alternatives. The first is to reinstate the entry in aifp.ini and hope there are no more issues. The other is to investigate and resolve the system registry issue. To repeat yesterday's message, AIFP looks at the "AppPath" key in the registry item "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0" and then confirms that there is a file named "FSX.exe" in that folder. Either the registry key doesn't exist, or the .exe doesn't exist at the specified location. RegEdit (supplied with windows) allows you access the system registry. So long as you don't change anything, it's safe to use.

I tried to reinstate the entry in aifp.ini, but without any luck. Seems like the only remarkable file I can find is "FSXSEConfig" which is a program and not a cfg file. I have looked in Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX in search of a FSX_SE.cfg file, but it's just old FSX.cfg files from another copy I had before I bought the steam version.
I give your second alternative a shot, but I'm not sure about how to use the RegEdit program. Where should I go from the main screen and what should I look for? (Picture attached!)

/Alexander

Attachments

• RegEdit.JPG
    RegEdit.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 465
Country
norway
Are you referring to FSX or to FSX-SE? Which earlier version? I and, it appears, numerous others use AIFP with Steam without difficulty. So, you might also consider what else you may have done to your system in the interim besides upgrading to 3.1.18.

It was the AIFP Version 2 1.0.0.0 and it was not the steam version, but the ordinary one. I know because it doesn't seem like there is anyone having those kind of issues that I have been experiencing. I'm considering rebooting my computer or do a cleanup. Traces of old FSX files are scattered around in different folders on different disks on my harddrive. That makes everything unorganized and difficult to pick the right files for for the right purpose.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I tried to reinstate the entry in aifp.ini, but without any luck. Seems like the only remarkable file I can find is "FSXSEConfig" which is a program and not a cfg file. I have looked in Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX in search of a FSX_SE.cfg file, but it's just old FSX.cfg files from another copy I had before I bought the steam version.
This would seem to be further indication that FSX-SE has not been properly installed.

I'm not sure about how to use the RegEdit program. Where should I go from the main screen and what should I look for?
Do a "find" on "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0" and, when you find one with an "AppPath" key, check its contents. DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES WITH REGEDIT.

Your screenshot does give me another idea though. AIPF is not fully multilingual. I notice you are using a non-English version of Windows. Please review this post above.

It was the AIFP Version 2 1.0.0.0 and it was not the steam version, but the ordinary one.
FSX and FSX-SE are separate and distinct products. If you still had FSX, I have no doubt you could still use it without difficulty. That specifying the path to SE by itself is not successful suggests AIFP is not finding FSX-SE.cfg file which should be located in Appdata at "Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX_SE.cfg".

Don

Country
norway
This would seem to be further indication that FSX-SE has not been properly installed.

That might be the case. I will reinstall FSX-SE, but also delete old traces of files from other old copies of FSX to avoid any confusion or unwanted issues.

Do a "find" on "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0" and, when you find one with an "AppPath" key, check its contents.

I did a search for "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0", but it didn't give me any results. I read the other thread you made about the regional settings interfering with some of the operations in AIFP, but I cannot remember having any problems with decimals or changing letters so I'm not considering that troublesome.

That specifying the path to SE by itself is not successful suggests AIFP is not finding FSX-SE.cfg file which should be located in Appdata at "Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX_SE.cfg".

I have to say that I find it very strange that there is no "FSX-SE" in the Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft folder. Just an "FSX" folder consisting of the old FSX.cfg file from one of my other copies of FSX.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I did a search for "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0", but it didn't give me any results.
That is the standard registry key for FSX-SE. The fact that you didn't find it together with no FSX-SE.cfg suggests Steam was never properly installed - or perhaps you installed a very early version before the current methodogy was adopted. In any case, AIFP relies on these registry keys and standard locations.

Don

Country
norway
That might be the case. Steam was installed on my computer a while ago and when FSX steam edition came out they might have changed the standard registry key too.

I unistalled FSX-SE and deleted the "FSX" folder in Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft. When I installed FSX-SE again and launched AIFP it still couldn't locate my FSX-SE...
I also noticed that there hadn't been any new "FSX" folder appearing in Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft so I could set a path to FSX-SE.cfg manually in the AIFP.ini.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I also noticed that there hadn't been any new "FSX" folder appearing in Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft so I could set a path to FSX-SE.cfg manually in the AIFP.ini.
If a recent version of FSX-SE is properly installed, you shouldn't have to set any paths manually in aifp.ini. It sounds like you should download the latest version of Steam and try installing that.

Don

Country
norway
If a recent version of FSX-SE is properly installed, you shouldn't have to set any paths manually in aifp.ini. It sounds like you should download the latest version of Steam and try installing that.

Yeah, that might be the only opportunity I have left... If that's not working I should find myself something else to do. Thanks for the suggestions though!

/Alexander