• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Not liking the system 'heat' related gauges for reciprocating engines...

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

I am not liking the stock coding for petrol reciprocating engines. On one gauge readout, I changed the oil pressure to one based on RPM. Now it behaves realistic. But CHT and Oil Temp are still nearly lifeless. I experimented with them for quite a while last night, doing climbouts at maximum output, etc, as well as testing at idle. High overheating temps also read hot on the ground at idle, and cool idle settings ran cold at altitude.

So I am thinking of doing another couple of 'fudging' systems to make a more realistic oil temp and CHT readout...

But....

What I had in mind was something based on OAT + RPM. It should probably include mixture in the 'mix', pardon the pun.

I thought I would see what others think.

I looked through the settings notes in AAM in the sections that run CHT and Oil Temp in the AIR files. They are basically hard coded. So this is where I am standing presently on this.

The gauges are just the little triangle slider readouts in the Garmin G1000 MFD engine ECIAS center. Nothing spectacular, but... Some of them just barely move. Even with lots of 'umph' tweaking in the scaler coordinates, (which seems to backfire now and then).

My engine CHT and Oil Temps are standard for all reciprocating engines. Mooney, Extra, Cessna, etc.

Country
us-ohio
An important piece of information that you didn't provide are the actual temperature values you're seeing. I ask because I have never seen this behavior before and I've done quite a few aircraft for trainers.

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Those gauged values are calculated at the end of each cycle and have no effect on engine performance, so you can fudge them to your heart's content.
Roy

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

It really depends on the size and type of the recip engine. The small GA ones are pretty close, normally, but big radial engines are way off. I created my own code for CHT which works well for the type of engines I model. I use a different gauge for each type of engine (R-2800, R-3350, etc.).

Code:
   <Element> <!-- Calculate CHT:  130 + FF * K + OAT * K - (Cowl flap position * K - Airspeed / K ) -->
      <Select>
           <Value> <!-- Then decrease CHT fast if engine running, slow if not.  Increase CHT fast. -->

(A:General Eng1 Combustion, bool) if{ 130 (A:Eng fuel flow PPH:1, pounds per hour) 0.175 * + (A:Ambient Temperature,Celsius) + (A:Recip eng cowl flap position:1, percent) 3 * (A:Airspeed indicated, knots) 1 + 100 / * 60 min -  } els{ (A:Ambient Temperature,Celsius) } (&gt;L:CHT_1_input,number)
(L:CHT_1_input,number) (L:CHT_1,number) &lt; (A:General Eng1 Combustion, bool) &amp;&amp; if{ (L:CHT_1,number) (L:CHT_1,number) (L:CHT_1_input,number) - 0.00025 * (E:Simulation Rate, enum) * - (&gt;L:CHT_1,number) }
(L:CHT_1_input,number) (L:CHT_1,number) &lt; (A:General Eng1 Combustion, bool) ! &amp;&amp; if{ (L:CHT_1,number) (L:CHT_1,number) (L:CHT_1_input,number) - 0.000025 * (E:Simulation Rate, enum) * - (&gt;L:CHT_1,number) }
(L:CHT_1_input,number) (L:CHT_1,number) &gt; if{ (L:CHT_1,number) (L:CHT_1_input,number) (L:CHT_1,number) - 0.00025 * (E:Simulation Rate, enum) * + (&gt;L:CHT_1,number) }

(A:General Eng2 Combustion, bool) if{ 130 (A:Eng fuel flow PPH:2, pounds per hour) 0.175 * + (A:Ambient Temperature,Celsius) + (A:Recip eng cowl flap position:2, percent) 3 * (A:Airspeed indicated, knots) 1 + 100 / * 60 min - } els{ (A:Ambient Temperature,Celsius) } (&gt;L:CHT_2_input,number)
(L:CHT_2_input,number) (L:CHT_2,number) &lt; (A:General Eng2 Combustion, bool) &amp;&amp; if{ (L:CHT_2,number) (L:CHT_2,number) (L:CHT_2_input,number) - 0.00025 * (E:Simulation Rate, enum) * - (&gt;L:CHT_2,number) }
(L:CHT_2_input,number) (L:CHT_2,number) &lt; (A:General Eng2 Combustion, bool) ! &amp;&amp; if{ (L:CHT_2,number) (L:CHT_2,number) (L:CHT_2_input,number) - 0.000025 * (E:Simulation Rate, enum) * - (&gt;L:CHT_2,number) }
(L:CHT_2_input,number) (L:CHT_2,number) &gt; if{ (L:CHT_2,number) (L:CHT_2_input,number) (L:CHT_2,number) - 0.0002 * (E:Simulation Rate, enum) * + (&gt;L:CHT_2,number) }

(L:CHT_Start,bool) 0 == (L:CHT_1,number) 1 &gt; &amp;&amp; if{ (L:CHT_Start,bool) ! (&gt;L:CHT_Start,bool) (L:CHT_1_input,number) (&gt;L:CHT_1,number) (L:CHT_2_input,number) (&gt;L:CHT_2,number) (L:CHT_1,number) 200 &gt; if{ 200 (&gt;L:CHT_1,number) } (L:CHT_2,number) 200 &gt; if{ 200 (&gt;L:CHT_2,number) } }

</Value>
      </Select>
   </Element>

Hope this helps,

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Tom: I'm currently working on a bird equipped with GR-2600-A2A / GR-2600-25 engines and the CHTs are coming out right. Just don't ask what the airfile guy did because I have no idea...!

[Edit] Have to retract that statement... Now I've paid very close attention, the CHTs on both GR-2600s are not right.

Last edited: