• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Not reading addons only scenery CFG

Country
unitedstates
The last 2 lines of my log file why does it not read any addons except the scenery CFG entries above in the log?

13:51:56 | Trying to read add-on.xml files from C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg
13:51:57 | Done!

Thanks!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Seems to indicate no active add-on.xml files have been found in the add-ons.cfg file.

Country
unitedstates
Hi,

Seems to indicate no active add-on.xml files have been found in the add-ons.cfg file.
What did I do wrong... the program is not finding any add-ons... only scanning scenery.cfg I use Lorbys Addon Organizer to layer would it conflict with your program scanning?

Country
us-illinois
You may wish to review the info here:

http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

"FREE: Lorby Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer

This app will help you manage your external addons to the Prepar3D V4 sim by using the recommended XML files. You can add, delete, reorder, activate and deactivate all types of addons.
!Frequent backups of your config files are recommended - especially before using a new version of this tool, create a backup with the old version first!

1570023363056.png

p3dv4_addonorganizer_documentation.pdf
Download File

addonorganizer_1_44_b04.zip
Download File
!Attention!: the scenery group logic changes with version 1.44 and up. Due to conflicts with ORBX Central, the identification parameters of a scenery had to be adjusted. P4AO will migrate your group library to the new logic, but manual rework may be required. The app will create a backup of your original group library in \AppData\Local\LORBY_SI\P4AO.

LorbySceneryExporter

We are aware that other developers use the P4AO command line option to generate an integrated scenery.cfg type file.
Please consider using the following tool instead. It is a simple command line app, creating (only) the same export as the P4AO does. Please check the readme file in the zip for details.

lorbysceneryexport.zip Download File

If it covers your particular use case, you are free to distribute LorbySceneryExporter with your own application. But we would ask commercial developers to please contact us first before they do."

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
How does your add-ons.cfg file look?

Country
germany
Hi,

Since the OP didn't answer anymore, I may step in, since I observe the same with ACM - it doesn't read sceneries registered with add-on.xml. I have attached my add-ons.cfg file.
Tropicalsim TNCA has an own autogen definition, which is not added to the default.xml file. When registered in the scenery.cfg, it works.

Regards
Boris

Attachments

• add-ons.rar
    1.5 KB · Views: 389

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
OK, I'll check that file.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

From this file alone I can't see a log. Maybe you can show my the ACM log file as well? And how does the add-on.xml file of the scenery itself look?

Country
germany
Last ACM log, add-on.xml and the default.xml from the TNCA scenery\autogen folder attached.

Boris

Attachments

• Scenery.rar
    1.8 KB · Views: 370
Country
unitedstates
Hi,

Since the OP didn't answer anymore, I may step in, since I observe the same with ACM - it doesn't read sceneries registered with add-on.xml. I have attached my add-ons.cfg file.
Tropicalsim TNCA has an own autogen definition, which is not added to the default.xml file. When registered in the scenery.cfg, it works.

Regards
Boris
Sorry yes I have about given up and removed all autogen because of so many issues. Orbx does not like the Autogen from airport sceneries and would not display trees often and other issues. I chose to have Orbx display instead of any other scenery Autogen. But if this can be fixed and I can use both with no issues then I will go back!

Country
germany
Hm. I also have a lot of ORBX stuff, all installed with FTX Central in the sim root folder and scenery.cfg. Originally, I wanted to install it outside in a library, but ORBX Central totally messed up my sim, so I went back to the old method. I have a few sceneries with custom autogen, and it works well with ORBX. At least I haven't noticed anything unusual so far.

One for examlple is TNCA - I just added the autogen class manually to the default.xml file. It's described in the manual. Another example is Flightbeam NZWN, which has its own AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.xml (vs. the .spb file in the main autogen folder). The NZWN autogen is registered via add-on.xml and also works fine.

For us power users it would however be helpful to better understand how all this works together. How does an AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.xml join with an AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.spb? Do I describe it correctly (nonetheless unprofessional) when I say that if for example ORBX plants a tree with autogen class 123 and Tropicalsim plants one with 456, these two trees can co-exist?

Is there any not too "developer-ish" reading material on this out there? Sometimes I spend more time studying flightsim internals via try-and-error than flying...

Boris

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I do see in the log file that no sceneries have been read from the add-ons.cfg file. So let me check why they might have been skipped.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think I see what is going on. Some checks when parsing the add-ons.cfg file were case sensitive and this file uses slightly different case than the one I looked at before. I have made those checks not case sensitive now. Attached is a new beta release with that fix. Let me know if that is enough to make ACM work again. If so, I will make it the next official release.

Edit: file removed as new official release is available by now

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
How does updates such as this happen for the end-user? Does ACM automatically check/update itself? Does the add-on developer need to update all it's customers? Are the end-users required to update on their own. This being the first time I have encounter this situation some guidance would be helpful.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

This is a beta release, so this one is only for testing this bug and not for release to customers.

ACM does not update itself. So I see it as the responsibility of the developer that uses ACM to check if updates are relevant for their product. Then they can decide to update it or ask their users to do it themselves.

Country
poland
Hello Arno,

I have met with problem described above. I tested your file and working fine. Read all files with autogen merging.

Marek

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks for the feedback, I guess I should make this beta the official release.