• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Nuremberg (EDDN) X

Country
germany
My friend Daniel and me started working on our first scenery project.

As the title says, it will be Nuremberg (EDDN) for FSX.
We're trying to make it as realisitc as possible.

Here are some previews of our first building, we still got some problems which Daniel will explain later.
hangar.jpg

hangar2.jpg

Hope you like it.

Regards, Daniel

Last edited:
A

Aviasim

Seems asif you have some model error, I can see the fence through that hangar :eek:

Country
unitedstates
That's a z-buffer render error, he probably has a problem with his display drivers. The fence is being rendered first and the rest of the scenery last.

Country
us-northcarolina
That's a z-buffer render error, he probably has a problem with his display drivers. The fence is being rendered first and the rest of the scenery last.

If I'm not mistaken, it has to do with FSX's SP2. There is a bug that causes alpha'd objects (fence) to draw in front of other objects...

Nice hangar btw :)

Country
germany
Here I am, the other Daniel :p

About the problem:
I have first placed the fence with ADE. After that the hangar was made with gmax. I'm not sure, but I think I hadn't the problem when the hangar wasn't texturized.
Also these upper glass dome's (which have no texture yet) are visible through the hangar, when you look at it from downwards.

Thanks for your help!

Greetings Daniel

Country
finland
Servus Daniel,

Does the texture of the hangar have an alpha channel?

In this case:
Z-Write Alpha: Check
Z-Test Alpha: Check
Alpha Test Level: Somewhere around 123-128
Alpha Test Mode: GreaterEqual

That sould help.

Grüsse,
Kai

Country
germany
Thanks for your answer!

I made no alpha channel. I converted the bmp with DXTBmp and added no alpha channel, so the standart alpha channel in white was uesed...
Can it be possible that I did something wrong in gmax...?

Country
germany
Hi Daniel(s),

great to see, that you are working on EDDN. I am missing this airport in FSX for such a long time.:)

The problem with the fence shining through has something to do with the alpha settings Kai mentioned. I had that sometimes on my objects and it was always the same. What about the fence, is it FSX material in Gmax and are the settings correct?

Jörg

Country
germany
The fence is standart FSX fence. I placed it with ADE.
For the hangar I used the FSX material in gmax....

Country
germany
The fence is standart FSX fence. I placed it with ADE.
For the hangar I used the FSX material in gmax....
Try the settings of Kai with the FSX material of the hangar and see what happens. The solution is closer as you think

Jörg

Country
finland
That's a bit strange.. Without Alpha shouldn't be any problems with the draw order.. Have you set the framebuffer blend to "default opaque" (as it is by default)?
Maybe it would be good to see the material settings. Otherwise, I would make it the easy way; delete the material, create a new one, leave all settings as they are by default and simply look what happenes.

Viel Glück! :)

Kai

Country
germany
I think I didn't change any settings you mentioned when texturing the hangar...

I would like to follow your descriptions, but I'm very new to gmax and scenery design...Can you please write exactly what I have to do now?

Thanks in advance!
Daniel

Country
finland
Do you have still the UVW Map and Unwrap UVW on the modifier list? I hope you haven't collaped it, otherwise I'm not sure if this here works..

1. Delete the old material, the texture will disappear from the hangar
2. Make a new material. In case you want to rename it: Open the Material Navigator before!!! Otherwise gmax will crash. An old bug..
3. Ups.. My mistake, it should be 3 instead of 4.. Drag the texture onto the diffuse colour slot.
4. Press "apply"
5. The texture should be back on the hangar.

One more advise (just in case you don't know it already): Save your work before experimenting, but never save it on the same name. My example is a very simple scenery object, but you see I have saved it on 5 different files; Balga_Ruine01, Blaga_Ruine02,... (It's a castle in Ostpreussen). Gmax can do it automatically. Customize -> Files -> Increment on save. It can save one from a lot of frustration.

Kai

Country
germany
Now I have tested it, after I had some problems with the Library last evening...And it works :)

Thanks for the help! And now another question: :D
The hangar sometimes disappears when turning the view around...here an example:

Thanks in advance!

Country
finland
Hi,

Nice to hear that it worked out. :)

FSX blends objects out which are not in the view. It can happen "too early" if the reference point is too far off. Try to place the hangar's center (about) in the origin. See attached pic.

Kai

Attachments

• Halle_Nullpunkt.jpg
    Halle_Nullpunkt.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 760
Country
germany
Some news on EDDN, we had a meeting with some guys of the build and planing bureau. They were quite interested in our project.In 2 weeks we're meeting the head of Airport Nuremberg GmbH to discuss about further progress.
Here some new previews:
Mövenpick Hotel:
prev_16oe5.jpg

Apron lamp pole:
prev_2h7o5f.jpg

prev4poo1.jpg

still without textures ... the measure of the buildings aren't right, so we wait with the textures till our buildings fit to those in real

Country
unitedkingdom
Update!

erlok.jpg

An approach light!

Now, you probably haven't heard about the news. Daniel's friends and I are working hard on modelling this airport as professionally as possible. Therefore, i will now start taking care of updates!

Regards,

Pere Duran