Object Libraries and Library Creator XML

I'm familiar with the concept of libraries from programming and like it. However, when it applies to MSFS (both FS9 and FSX) I am confused. I have two mdl objects (hangers) for FS9 that I put in a library with Library Creator and then compiled the BGL. I added this library to ADE9X and added a hanger from it to the airport. I compiled the airport in ADE and put the bgl in FS9home\Add-on Scenery\MyNewScenery\scenery. The object shows up in FS9 but minus it's textures. There is my confusion as I'm supposed to put the textures somewhere but not in the new airport folder as that defeats the purpose of having a library.

Do I put the bgl from Library Creator in an Add-on Scenery Directory (say MyLibraries), put the bgl in the scenery directory and the textures in the textures directory for MyLibraries? Since the object is referenced in my airport how does FS find it. Does FS see it needs this object (identified by the GUID??) and then searches all the scenery it's loaded until it finds it?

Thanks.

The "libraries" in Flightsimulator is not as complete as in programming languages, you have to put it into your scenery folder and its textures in the texture folder of your scenery.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

If your library only contains object used at this airport, then you can probably best put the BGL and the textures in the same folder as your other airport files.

If the library will also be used for other projects or airports, then it might be best to install the library in another folder. The textures belonging to the library then also go there. When this folder is also active within the FS scenery library (he, another library :)), the file will be scanned and based on the GUIDs the objects can be found there.

Hi,

If your library only contains object used at this airport, then you can probably best put the BGL and the textures in the same folder as your other airport files.

If the library will also be used for other projects or airports, then it might be best to install the library in another folder. The textures belonging to the library then also go there. When this folder is also active within the FS scenery library (he, another library :)), the file will be scanned and based on the GUIDs the objects can be found there.
Thank you George and Arno. I will be using these objects in many scenery areas. If I understand correctly I use LibraryCreator to create the bgl, lets call it MyLibrary.bgl. I then go to FS's Add-on Scenery folder and create a subdirectory, say MyScenery and create a scenery and texture folder in MyScenery. In the scenery folder I put the bgl and in the texture folder I put the textures for any objects in the library. I activate the scenery in FS. Then when I add scenery, say an airport I create that used the object it will find it.

Note that I use ADE9x and add the bgl created by LibraryCreator to the ADE9X Object Library (one more library!!). To use the object I tell ADE9X to add the object to it's library and then when I need it ADE9x puts the references to that object in it's bgl for the airport. I compile the airport, put the airport bgl in Add-on Scenery\My Airport scenery folder, make sure there is a texture folder and it should show up with it's textures - correct?

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Yes, that is correct. ADE will create a BGL file that refers to the GUIDs of your objects. So as long as the library is active the scenery engine will find them, also when they are in a different folder. The textures for the library only need to be in the folder of the library, not in your airport texture folder.

Hi,

Yes, that is correct. ADE will create a BGL file that refers to the GUIDs of your objects. So as long as the library is active the scenery engine will find them, also when they are in a different folder. The textures for the library only need to be in the folder of the library, not in your airport texture folder.
Thank you. That helps clear up how FS thinks. I'm doing work with both FS9 and FSX.

Hi,

I notice that ADE9X shows a GUID in the format

7ecfd6e4-3f4b-e861-b678-e5b443cc057a

for the FS9 scenery object in it's (ADE9X's) library which is what LibraryCreator shows for this object. The difference is that ADE9X has dashes in the GUID while LibraryCreator and FS9 don't have the dashes - does it matter?

I notice that ADE9X shows a GUID in the format

7ecfd6e4-3f4b-e861-b678-e5b443cc057a

for the FS9 scenery object in it's (ADE9X's) library which is what LibraryCreator shows for this object. The difference is that ADE9X has dashes in the GUID while LibraryCreator and FS9 don't have the dashes - does it matter?
Doesn't matter <G>. I spent part of this evening getting things setup so that the mdl textures were in the right place, created a new library, used ModelConverterX to get a thumbnail, compiled it, placed it with ADE and all is well - I have my hanger with the textures.

Thank you all.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I assume that ADE will convert between the FS2004 and FSX format correctly, so then it doesn't matter. Only the XML code they are different, at the binary file level the GUIDs are stored the same anyway.

Hi,

I assume that ADE will convert between the FS2004 and FSX format correctly, so then it doesn't matter. Only the XML code they are different, at the binary file level the GUIDs are stored the same anyway.
That is interesting to know. ADE9X gives you a choice of FS9 or FSX when you start it so I assume it uses that to determine what it does. This is an interesting learning experience in an area that is totally new to me. I'm enjoying it.

I need to add a "MDL" to a library for FSX, but LibraryMaker and Library Creator can not do it with a MDL file compiled by FS8. How can I do it?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

If it is a FS2002 MDL file than it must be an aircraft MDL file. These can not be placed in a scenery object library at all. So if you have the sources you would have to export it as a scenery MDL for FS2004 or FSX.