• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Objects Do Not Stay Where I Placed Them in Instant Scenery 3

Hi,
I don't understand what the problem is but regarding placing the FSDT C39 ground markings from another thread, every time I place the markings, precisely where they go and when I come back to place another ground marking, the previous ground markings, such as C39 and C37 has moved a foot or so, revealing some of the markings below it and not align with other objects. They're placed precisely where I first place it, but it's when I launch the simulator again, and it does the index building a data base is when they have been moved. Why is it doing that? It should not move, not 1 millimeter, or period. It should stay precisely where I placed it in the first place, and if IS3, cannot do that, I don't find it to be a very precise placement software. I thought it was suppose to do a better job when placing an object. Or is there something wrong with my settings? One thing I did noticed is that usually after making my placement, it would run the data base update right then, but it hasn't don't that. Another problem I find with IS3 is that when I try to go back and move the C39 back to it's original position by using the Move and Delete mode, it won't even select that object so that I can move it. It wants to replace it by placing another same object over the one I've ready placed, and from what I understand, that is supposed to be possible. But I shouldn't have to move it back in the first place. It seems like every time I try to do something, another issue arises and I have to waste time figuring out what's going on. Below is a screenshot of the C39 when it was first placed in the sim with IS3:

C39 Alignment 1.png

As you can see, it all lines up and even the white squares line up nicely.

Now see the screenshot below:

C39 Alignment 2.png

As you can see, the white squares are not lined up and the C39 has shifted north and to the left, and it also reveals some of the C32 below it. This is after I launch the simulator the next time is when this occurs.

Ken.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

Does this 3D model (presumably made in Sketchup, then imported to MCX), when exported as a scenery MDL / BGL ...have "DrawCall Batching" enabled ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Hi Ken:

Does this 3D model (presumably made in Sketchup, then imported to MCX), when exported as a scenery MDL / BGL ...have "DrawCall Batching" enabled ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Hi Gary,
I don't know what DrawCall Batching is or how to check if it is enabled. The only thing I know about drawcalls is that there is a Drawcall tab in the Material Editor of MCX, and there is a check mark next to where it says, include repeating textures. Is this what you're referring to?

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

When object placement offset is evident, regardless of whether placement was via Instant Scenery, other FS utility, or even via manually-coded BGLComp-XML, one must also consider whether Draw Call Batching is active for MDLs, and if LODs or animation frames are "intended" to be used, whether they are working properly ...in the version of MCX which one is using. ;)

https://www.google.com/#q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+offset+draw+call+batching

AFAIK, if you re-export the flat FSX MDL 3D model ground tile object after adding an "Empty LOD", by disabling 'Draw Call Batching' the offset will be disabled.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX#Level_of_detail

Perhaps David may explain his procedure to implement LODs for such a MDL as alluded to in your other thread on this subject of modding FSDT KDFW ?

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...or-updated-airport-scenery.441812/post-792638

GaryGB

Hi Ken:

When object placement offset is evident, regardless of whether placement was via Instant Scenery, other FS utility, or even via manually-coded BGLComp-XML, one must also consider whether Draw Call Batching is active for MDLs, and if LODs or animation frames are "intended" to be used, whether they are working properly ...in the version of MCX which one is using. ;)

https://www.google.com/#q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+offset+draw+call+batching

AFAIK, if you re-export the flat FSX MDL 3D model ground tile object after adding an "Empty LOD", by disabling 'Draw Call Batching' the offset will be disabled.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX#Level_of_detail

Perhaps David may explain his procedure to implement LODs for such a MDL as alluded to in your other thread on this subject of modding FSDT KDFW ?

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...or-updated-airport-scenery.441812/post-792638

GaryGB

Hi Gary,
You still haven't explained to me how to disable the Draw Call Batching. And what software do I disable the Draw Call Batching, in MCX, Instant Scenery 3, or what? I haven't found anything helpful with the links.

Ken.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ken:

Several threads at FSDeveloper in the Google links above, discuss scenery library object placement "offset" of position when 'Draw Call Batching' is enabled.

While it is entirely up to you, as to whether you actually take the time to read and comprehend the subject matter discussed in those linked threads, IMHO, it is most important to understand Arno has already verified how scenery library object placement "offset" in position occurs when 'Draw Call Batching' is enabled. :pushpin:

Also, Arno has also indicated that adding of an "Empty LOD" in MCX is an effective way to eliminate the "offset" in scenery library object placement by BGLComp for a 3D MDL, when the MCX "Draw Call Minimizer" has also been used to consolidate texture Materials into (1)- or as few as possible- texture image sheets mapped onto that 3D MDL.

It is not my intention at this time, to deprive you of the opportunity to "learn by doing" in this particular project, and I have instead provided you with a conclusive interpretation that the cause does not lie in Instant Scenery functionality, but rather in the default implementation of 'Draw Call Batching' by MCX.

I anticipate that you may benefit from availing yourself of the opportunity to learn how to disable implementation of 'Draw Call Batching' by either of several methods already cited and discussed in the threads linked above.

Since David appears to have alluded to a familiarity with how to add a "Empty LOD" in a post cited in your original thread linked above, I suggest that he explain to you his method of doing so in further detail, to effectively resolve the "offset" in your KDFW C-39 scenery library object placement by BGLComp. ;)

As I have mentioned previously, I do not have sufficient available free time to tutor you on how to implement 'all' your custom scenery goals at FSDT KDFW.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Ken:

Several threads at FSDeveloper in the Google links above, discuss scenery library object placement "offset" of position when 'Draw Call Batching' is enabled.

While it is entirely up to you, as to whether you actually take the time to read and comprehend the subject matter discussed in those linked threads, IMHO, it is most important to understand Arno has already verified how scenery library object placement "offset" in position occurs when 'Draw Call Batching' is enabled. :pushpin:

Also, Arno has also indicated that adding of an "Empty LOD" in MCX is an effective way to eliminate the "offset" in scenery library object placement by BGLComp for a 3D MDL, when the MCX "Draw Call Minimizer" has also been used to consolidate texture Materials into (1)- or as few as possible- texture image sheets mapped onto that 3D MDL.

It is not my intention at this time, to deprive you of the opportunity to "learn by doing" in this particular project, and I have instead provided you with a conclusive interpretation that the cause does not lie in Instant Scenery functionality, but rather in the default implementation of 'Draw Call Batching' by MCX.

I anticipate that you may benefit from availing yourself of the opportunity to learn how to disable implementation of 'Draw Call Batching' by either of several methods already cited and discussed in the threads linked above.

Since David appears to have alluded to a familiarity with how to add a "Empty LOD" in a post cited in your original thread linked above, I suggest that he explain to you his method of doing so in further detail, to effectively resolve the "offset" in your KDFW C-39 scenery library object placement by BGLComp. ;)

As I have mentioned previously, I do not have sufficient available free time to tutor you on how to implement 'all' your custom scenery goals at FSDT KDFW.

GaryGB

Hi Gary,
When you posted your reply at flighsim1, where I had also posted my question, telling me that you had replied here, I figured you had answered my question and had the time. You asked me if I had draw call batching enabled but I did not know how to check and disable it, and asked how to do that. But you instead replied with a long list of things and links, some of which I've already read, but I did not find any of them to answer my question. I finally figured it out and it was a Setting in the MCX like you said. Yes, the threads discuss draw call batching but I just did not find any of them explaining how to disable it. It would have taking you a lot less time to have explained how to disable draw call batching rather than the long list of things, some of which I don't understand anyway, such as Empty LOD. I don't understand how that by explaining how to do something is depriving me of learning how to do something. Explaining how to do something is the way I learn how to do it.

Ken.

This is the InstantScenery3 forum,
http://www.simforums.com/forums/scenery-and-mission-making-tools_forum31.html
I noticed you hadn't posted this question there.

Hi rk,
You said you noticed that I did not post my question at flightsim1 but I went ahead and posted there. I know I was discussing how this problem occurred in IS3, but this was not caused by IS3. It was a default Setting in the MCX, and when I posted here, I figured Gary and others here would be a lot more familiar with this than those at flightsim1. I just didn't know how to disable 2 default settings in MCX, but I do now.

Ken.