Objects from Coordinate List

I have a list of coordinates for a bunch of objects, let's say radio towers for sake of discussion, is there a way to import or convert that text file list of coordinates, en masse, into a bunch of scenery objects? Forgive me if this is something that has already been answered but I am fairly new at scenery design in terms of objects. Thanks for any help or advice.

Bob

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Bob,

What kind of format does your list use? And would you like the same object at all of them? Maybe this is a useful feature to add to my ObPlacer XML tool :).

Also, with the Fs2002 SDK there came some sort of tool that could read CVS files. But I am not sure how useful it was. For the new XML code I have never heard of such a tool.

Hi Arno. That would indeed be a nice feature to add. The objects I have in mind would all be the same, as in oil platforms. The coordinates would be a simple latitude and longitude pair, could even be in a spreadsheet or comma delimited format. You could pick the object and then pick the coordinate list to build the objects or a library of them. I am pretty new at this so maybe my terminology is not correct. The case came up in conversation with Joe Watson who is adding a bunch of oil drilling platforms off the coast of Louisiana. I was thinking that if he had a list it would be simple to generate the scenery rather than doing it by slewing and picking locations. What do you think?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Sounds like a good idea to me :). I will take a look and see if I can add it in the next update.

arno said:
Sounds like a good idea to me :). I will take a look and see if I can add it in the next update.
Wonderful. Thank you for considering this idea. I can use my GPS software to generate lists of waypoints with coordinate pairs. The output can be comma delimited which of course can then be imported into a spreadsheet for further modification. It could be a very handy feature. I appreciate your consideration.

Bob