Obtaining DEM data for Jersey (channel Islands)

Hi Tom:

Did you review the installation instructions written by Jim Robinson in [ch_pnl.zip]\Aircraft\Crosshairs_Plus\panel\readme.txt ?

[FSX install path]\SimObjects\Airplanes\ is the install folder location for use as an FSX aircraft.

This is different from the original path as stated in Finney FinneyGround Crosshairs_Plus [CHPLUS.zip]\Crosshairs_Plus\CH+README.txt (which was intended for [FS9 install path]\Aircraft).

Hope this helps; if not, let us know ! :cool:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Why mess around with an addon aircraft? Just set your user aircraft altitude to about 3000ft. When you zoom in in top-down view, all you will see is a small red cross.

Hi Tom:

Did you review the installation instructions written by Jim Robinson in [ch_pnl.zip]\Aircraft\Crosshairs_Plus\panel\readme.txt ?

[FSX install path]\SimObjects\Airplanes\ is the install folder location for use as an FSX aircraft.

This different from the original path as stated in Finney FinneyGround Crosshairs_Plus [CHPLUS.zip]\Crosshairs_Plus\CH+README.txt (which was intended for [FS9 install path]\Aircraft).

Hope this helps; if not, let us know ! :cool:

GaryGB

I installed the files following the filepath you gave and this has not resolved the issue. Although its not a huge problem at the moment as i am still working on the rough flatten mesh.

Tom

Last edited:
Why mess around with an addon aircraft? Just set your user aircraft altitude to about 3000ft. When you zoom in in top-down view, all you will see is a small red cross.
Hi George:

As discussed here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150331&postcount=15

IIUC, SBuilderX captures altitude data for a sloped polygon point from aircraft position via the "Point From Aircraft" context menu option.

To be sure that elevation data comes from a position on the ground and not 3 or more feet above ground (as seen with most FS aircraft model center points), I recommended use of the Finney Cross-hairs Plus aircraft (aka "CH+").

In addition to being an excellent tool for FS scenery development for the general user, IIUC, "CH+" has a model center point which is physically located at the base of the model and bounding box, therefore being "on the ground" when the aircraft is on the ground.

I believe this would be important to building sloped flattens with more predictable results that hopefully minimizes the need to repeatedly refresh one's scenery to view FSX terrain changes from edits to one's sloped flatten BGL.

That was recommended within this context:

6.) With SBuilder in "polygon" mode to create or edit points for the sloped polygon flatten:

a.) In FSX, press "Y" for 'Slew' mode, then press <F1> to force the aircraft quickly onto the ground

b.) In SBuilder, right-click a point for the sloped polygon flatten (context menu opens)

c.) In that context menu, select "Fly Aircraft Here"

d.) Again in SBuilderX sloped polygon flatten mode context menu for that point, left click on "Properties" ('Point Properties' opens)

e.) In SBuilder sloped polygon flatten mode context menu 'Point Properties', select "Point From Aircraft"
Since I use a different app for such data capture functions, as a less frequent SBuilderX user, I assume that SBuilderX's "Point From Aircraft" feature uses the FS offset for "aircraft altitude" as AGL or MSL, rather than the FS offset for actual "terrain" ground elevation as rendered by FS beneath the aircraft at its current Lat-Lon position.

BTW: If I am mistaken about SBuilderX's "Point From Aircraft" option using the FS offset for actual "terrain" ground elevation as rendered by FS beneath the aircraft at its current Lat-Lon position rather than the FS offset for "aircraft altitude", by all means... someone please correct me on this. :rolleyes:

And George, if your considerable experience with SBuilderX might offer another way to expedite capture of the "on ground" terrain mesh elevation data via SBuilderX (aside from the methods thus far discussed in this thread) for building a sloped flatten to blend a central airport flatten into surrounding terrain, I believe many here would welcome further more detailed disclosure of your insights on how to do this. ;)

Many thanks in advance for any new ideas you'd be willing to share with us on using SBuilderX to "Git' R' Done" quicker and easier ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Tom:

Indeed, after removing my copy of "CH+" (which I have used since the ch_pnl.zip Beta release), and re-installing same via the 2 "CH+" ZIP files downloaded from AVSIM, I discovered the \Texture folder is missing ! :eek:

I'll notify Jim Robinson that the AVSIM package "Crosshairs_Plus" Panel & Model Enhancement Package" (ch_pnl.zip) is incomplete since the "AVSIM Hack" last year. :censored: :p

In the mean time, I have taken the liberty of attaching here, the missing "CH+" aircraft \texture folder with the "x-hair.bmp" file required for visibility... both in the FS aircraft pick list, and at run-time. ;)

Copy and paste this as a sub-folder under [FSX install path]\SimObjects\Airplanes\Crosshairs_Plus alongside the existing folders:

Crosshairs_Plus
\model
\model.a
\model.b
\model.c
\panel
\sound
\texture <-- (add here)

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Attachments

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
You could just use SBuilderX and TCalcX with FSX running. TCalcX will read the current ground elevation, and you can use SBuilberX to have the aircraft go to the points... then cut'n'paste to the point properties in SBuilderX.

But each enduser's FSX setup will have slightly different mesh readings, because they will have different mesh, or different FSX slider settings. This is one reason we can't have sloping runways that use AI... each sim setup will be different.

(If Flight 'freezes' the mesh and settings, then we could have sloping runways. Not likely to happen.)

In this example, the island's default FSX runways and aprons may have the wrong elevations, which complicates the solution. In that case, you might want to use ADE to reset the elevations of the airfield, before you try to set the sloping polys. Resetting those elevations might be enough alone... if needed.

Dick

You could just use SBuilderX and TCalcX with FSX running. TCalcX will read the current ground elevation, and you can use SBuilberX to have the aircraft go to the points... then cut'n'paste to the point properties in SBuilderX.
That is exactly what I do.

That is exactly what I do.
Many thanks to Dick and George for offering that helpful description of an alternative workaround for this task. :D

Perhaps we might use this method until Luis Sa' updates SBuilderX to provide what, IIUC, would be an additional or replacement option of direct ground elevation data capture at the aircraft Lat-Lon coordinates (ex: "Ground Alt. To Point at A/C Coordinates") via the appropriate FS Offset.

So, for those who would like to try this alternate method by running "TCalcX_003.exe" alongside SBuilderX and FSX, I'd offer an alternative version of my tutorial above, by modifying the existing original sequence of operations thus:

6.) With SBuilder in "polygon" mode to create or edit points for the sloped polygon flatten:

a.) In FSX, press "Y" for 'Slew' mode, then <F1> to force the aircraft quickly onto the ground

b.) In SBuilder, right-click a point for the sloped polygon flatten (context menu opens)

c.) In that context menu, select "Fly Aircraft Here"

d.) Again in SBuilder sloped polygon flatten mode context menu for that point, left click on "Properties" ('Point Properties' opens)

e.) In SBuilder sloped polygon flatten mode context menu 'Point Properties', select "Point From Aircraft"

f.) In TCalcX, select and then copy the "Ground Altitude" value using <Ctrl+C>

g.) Back in SBuilder sloped polygon flatten mode 'Point Properties' dialog, click the mouse cursor into the "Altitude" field

h.) Press <Ctrl+V> to paste the TCalcX "Ground Altitude" value to overwrite that existing value derived via "Point From Aircraft"

PS: Get TCalcX_003 here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=79

Hope all this info further helps folks in their endeavors with making sloped flattens in SBuilderX ! :cool:

GaryGB

Last edited:
The first thing you need to do is decide roughly where the end of the slope is to be. I normally use either roads or field boundaries. Draw your polygons to roughly the correct shape then refine them either by using a background or slewing in FSX. Where the polygons meet, edit a vertex on one polygon to have the same values as that on the other polygon.

Last edited:
The first thing you need to do is decide roughly where the end of the slope is to be. I normally use either roads or field boundaries. Draw your polygons to roughly the correct shape then refine them either by using a background or slewing in FSX. Where the polygons meet, edit a vertex on one polygon to have the same values as that on the other polygon.
Thanks George, as it happens i suddenly clicked and starting working to this effect.

Although i need to get Tcalcx to refine things, but in terms of the vertices i now have some nicely linked polygons and the results have improved greatly, hopefully i can make something that looks pretty real.

Fortunately i remembered i had just one photo of the slop on approach to RW09 from a holiday 3 years ago and this has helped considerably too, particularly where the airport boundary exists - all this despite the photo being taken from the coast road.

Tom

Hi Tom:

Indeed, after removing my copy of "CH+" (which I have used since the ch_pnl.zip Beta release), and re-installing same via the 2 "CH+" ZIP files downloaded from AVSIM, I discovered the \Texture folder is missing ! :eek:

I'll notify Jim Robinson that the AVSIM package "Crosshairs_Plus" Panel & Model Enhancement Package" (ch_pnl.zip) is incomplete since the "AVSIM Hack" last year. :censored: :p

In the mean time, I have taken the liberty of attaching here, the missing "CH+" aircraft \texture folder with the "x-hair.bmp" file required for visibility... both in the FS aircraft pick list, and at run-time. ;)

Copy and paste this as a sub-folder under [FSX install path]\SimObjects\Airplanes\Crosshairs_Plus alongside the existing folders:

Crosshairs_Plus
\model
\model.a
\model.b
\model.c
\panel
\sound
\texture <-- (add here)

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB
Thanks Gary