Odd Error on Export to MDL

I had a flicker problem with the doors on the hangar so I made a correction (in Sketchup) exported as a dae file. Loaded it into MCX and eventually saved as an "mdl". It was during this export as mdl process that this error came up and the process stops at this point.

MCX_Error by Ed Wells, on Flickr

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I think I received your error report, so I'll check if I can reproduce it here.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Your error report does not include the object to try to reproduce the error. Could you maybe send it to me for testing?

If this doesn't work I'll post a download link to my Box.net account. I zipped the two objects that I had made slight changes to, just to be sure. I've never had this type of error before and I did this same process last week, no problems.

Attachments

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Thanks for the files. When I import that DAE file and export it to MDL on my machine I don't get an error.

Did you make any changes to the model in MCX before exporting it?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
OK, let me try to do the same here tomorrow and see if that matters. It's time for some sleep now :)

Just remembered something I did different today that might have a bearing on this. . .I ran the most recent update (Version 1.4.0.0 cef17a40 DEV 6/28/2020).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I also tested with the latest version, so I don't think that is the issue. But I will try tonight with adding a night texture as well. Did you add it via a material template or manually in the material editor?

I also tested with the latest version, so I don't think that is the issue. But I will try tonight with adding a night texture as well. Did you add it via a material template or manually in the material editor?
I always use the "Add Night Texture" option in the material editor. . .and as you might notice on the main hangar, it wasn't just one night texture as every window and door has a night texture plus the hangar floor. . .so quite a few. Also, just looking back at my posts I thought I mentioned this but I also tried compiling as a bgl and that was also kicked out with the same error.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
When you save as bgl, MCX will first save mdl files. So, it's normal you get the same error there.

This morning I went back to Sketchup and re-exported the main hangar to a 3D (dae) file. I then resized my textures in Corel and made night textures where necessary. I then loaded MCX, imported the hangar and performed the following:
Set an "Auto Platform" for the hangar floor texture
loaded the material editor and added the night textures using the "Add Night Textures" option
went to the textures tab and set "Prefix all with model name"
went to the Drawcalls tab and allowed it to build the texture sheets
went back to the texture tab and saved as DDS - closed the material editor when completed
Selected "Export Object", selected the folder for placement of the mdl file and clicked ok. . .same error message.

Previous to all this I imported one of the other buildings (Fuel Shack). . .using the same process I compiled an MDL file with no problems at all. My fear in all this is that something is corrupt in the original "skp" file and I'm looking at rebuilding that hangar (and the other one) from scratch. . .ugggh

Well, with all my useless speculating that it's somehow a model problem I failed to realize that no one else is having a problem with the models. I had a friend of mine try it on his system and he compiled fine with no problems. Possibly my exporter settings? Grasping at straws here now.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I have seen this kind of error being reported before in my bug tracker, but I have never been able to reproduce it. So I guess it relates to some action taken before exporting.

I just tried to add a night texture, prefix textures names, minimize drawcalls, but even with those changes I don't get a crash here.

If you just load the DAE model and directly export it, do you get the error as well then?

I just gave your suggestion a try Arno. If I only import the dae and then compile as an mdl there is no error.
As a second go around I imported, then set the auto platform and then compiled and I got the error.
Next go around I only added night textures. . .no error on compile to mdl
My confidence was peaked, lol, so I finished with the remaining processes and compiled and all went well. So something about the "auto platform" was the problem.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
OK, I'll try again with the auto-platform function here.

Edit: Yep, I can reproduce it with the platform. I'll try to fix it tomorrow.

Great to know Arno. One other note and this concerns the "LibCreatXML". After I've added the mdl files, filled in the "save to" information and click save, The process continues and the library is compiled and correct however I get a line at the top of the menu that says it could not locate the modeldef file and to check the options to correct it.

Also concerning this same program. . .I tried to "Replace" the two hangars in question "mdl files" in order to preserve their placement information and save me from having to reposition them in the Sim. It wouldn't process when I clicked the save option but instead I got an "Unhandled. . . . .Error message" and another error that referred to the "Boolean. . . ." I didn't save the exact errors as I'd had enough error messages by then and I did a work around to get the objects back into the scenery.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I have been able to fix the crash caused by the platform now. That was an unexpected side effect of a change I made this week indeed. I will push a new development release later this evening.