P3D v2 Odd Shading Polygons Appearing; tracking down?

Hey all,

This is really odd. Those polygons (black) shouldn't be showing up. They do not exist. Nothing in those shapes are there. Any idea's on how to track them down, find them, irradicate them?

I might convert it to a OBJ and see if I can find them that way. My thoughts are that they are hidden polygons from a part during perhaps the windshield frame creation. But looking around all throughout the model, I find nothing. Absolutely nothing....

Hey Robert,

The interior skins are all extruded inwards. I thought this too and checked all the edges. I went to Polygon modes and clicked 'unhide all' as you can have polygons 'hidden' and they will be unhidden when in FS, and that turned up nothing.

I have another on one of the wings.

It appears to look like a backwards polygon facing inwards (perhaps) that is causing a black shadow via the sim Shaders. Only a theory.

Oddly, it only happens in those area's.

I exported the model from MCX via OBJ format and in there, the parts also do not show the anomaly. Total mystery.

Looks to me like those polygons are inverted. I would try selecting those poly's and hit flip.

If it's not a flipping issue it looks like it could be a matter of smoothing groups. Make sure all the offending poly's have the same smoothing group as their neighbors.

Good luck.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Bill, I recently found several such graphic artifacts in the C310R model that somehow over the last five years no one had ever noticed. You see, they only turned 'dark gray' under particular lighting conditions which was only revealed when one rotate-slewed the a/c around changing the ambient light angles.

As it turned out it was just several un-welded vertices that were the cause of this strangeness.

Bill, another idea worth trying.

Select the offending polys only and do an unwrap uvw edit on them, just for testing (delete later). If (some of) the vertices show up in a line rather as polys then you can be reasonably certain it's an effect created by dx10/11 shaders - I have had those in a model. The cure then is obvious: remap so that the polys show up appropriately.

(Basically amounts to the same as what N2056 suggested.)

Bill, I recently found several such graphic artifacts in the C310R model that somehow over the last five years no one had ever noticed. You see, they only turned 'dark gray' under particular lighting conditions which was only revealed when one rotate-slewed the a/c around changing the ambient light angles.

As it turned out it was just several un-welded vertices that were the cause of this strangeness.
Bill! Why didn't I think of that. I'll try that right now. A thousand thanks.

Bill

Bill, another idea worth trying.

Select the offending polys only and do an unwrap uvw edit on them, just for testing (delete later). If (some of) the vertices show up in a line rather as polys then you can be reasonably certain it's an effect created by dx10/11 shaders - I have had those in a model. The cure then is obvious: remap so that the polys show up appropriately.

(Basically amounts to the same as what N2056 suggested.)

Thanks for the heads up Manfred. If this doesn't work, I'll try yours. I have to get rid of these somehow.

I tested in FSX this morning and its in FSX as well, not just P3D V2.

Bill, that did it! It worked excellent. I had tried everything I knew. I cant believe I forgot about unwelded Vertices. The rectangles though were all the way out to all edges. I would have never thought it was Vertices. Usually unwelded vertices have ray shadows with some edges being fine, and some blackened. Perhaps its a 3DS Max thing.

man... I cant thank you enough. Thanks thanks...

Bill

n4gix

Resource contributor
I'm delighted that you found and fixed the problem, Bill. That's what FS Developer is all about; sharing our hard-won knowledge with one another.

"Experience is what you get just after having discovered you needed it..."