FSX ODG - Offshore Sceneries (Oil Rigs)

i downloaded and installed the scenery packages from ODG - the offshore oil rig developers - i've got the UKEZ and the USAEZ packages installed. these packages put oil rigs in the north sea in the UK and in the gulf coast of the US.

Would it be possible for me to take some of those oil rigs and use them to replace the default oil rigs found in Alaska (in the Cook Inlet)?

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed ModelConverterX and LibraryConverterXML in an attempt to accomplish the task above. I actually only worked with ModelConverter, some of the bgl files from the UKEZ scenery folder caused errors and i couldn't see the models, others had error messages but i was able to see the models. I then converted the model to a bgl file and added it to my user library in Whisplacer 9.

In Whisplacer 9 i was able to select the bgl file i exported from ModelConverX, when I place it in Whisplacer9 and try to compile the file, the rig doesn't appear in FSX and i get an error message saying the compile failed.

So long story short, I am a complete novice at scenery manipulation, is what i'm trying to a pipe dream? Can it even be done, and is it legal? I don't plan on distributing this to anyone - it's just for my own use.

Thanks for your help on this!!!

Quick update: I have been able to get some of the Oil Rigs in FSX by using the ModelConverterX placement wizard (I think that's what it's called). Now the next two problems I have to work through are 1.) the models are not solid, the helicopter falls through the landing pad, and I can fly through the rig without triggering a crash. 2.) on some of the models the only certain parts show textures, large parts including the landing pads are black.

Any ideas on how to correct either of these will be appreciated. I know the texture issue is probably the more complicated of the two and will require quite a bit of time to resolve.

the large part that are black is because some textures are faulty. and you fall through becuase the platform in not a "hard surface". you can accomplish the task with MCX and "autoplaform". and the textures look in MCX again, in the material editor to see if some texture is lost

Thanks Tejal, i will do some more work tonight, starting with fixing the platform in MCX - and then i'll tackle the texture issues...

Ok - got "hard surfaces" issue fixed and the textures are also fixed (for the most part. Now my problem is placement, currently I'm placing them using the convert and place wizard. For some reason though the coordinates in the wizard don't match my FSX coordinates. I tried placing the rigs by entering the coordinates manually in the wizard but when I go into the sim the rigs are not where they're supposed to be. I also tried using the map feature but I can't really get accurate placements that way. Is there any other way to get accurate placement in MCX?

I tried using Whisplacer 9 but even though I can get the bel files into the library I get an "object create fail" message, so I don't see the preview model in FSX and after compiling the rigs don't show up in FSX. I am able to compile and place the items that came in the Whisplacer library with no problem. But for some reason when I export from Modelconverterx to Whisplacer I can't get those objects to show up.

Hi Folks

Richard -
Good to see someone interested in using our sceneries,
and also considering expanding offshore scenery coverage into other areas.

Please take this with its intended light-heartedness. :D

I appreciate your stated purpose being 'just for my own use'.

That said, I'm slightly disappointed to find decompilation of ODG package content being discussed here at FSDev.
More so, without enquiring through ODG's own forums first, where we'd happily address any issues 'discovered'. ;)

Just for info -
All our packages contain a EULA.
Copies of which are contained in each of the zips, installers, and package subfolders.
Everyone has to agree to those terms before installing.

We've previously had multiple VA's repackaging ODG's content,
including 2 who'd rebranded/redistributed them, as if their own work, (stripping out all copyrights). :censored:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ODG is dedicated to populating your simulator's world with realistic offshore-scenery.
An ongoing intent, (albeit progressing extremely slowly ATM).

I'd much prefer anyone interested
to work with us in developing & placing appropriate models,
rather than just de/recompiling & relocating ODG models inappropriately. ;)

We'd welcome anyone's participation and/or any model content contribution.

Even a simple box, or minimal detail model,
is preferable to having no model whatsoever

I can share lots of piccies/deck plans/info/location data, reference sources.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alaska's Cook Inlet specifics -
- ODG's current model types, do not match those utilised there IRL.
- Alaska's Cook Inlet is already covered by at least one 3rd party package, (using IRL type models).
(Search for 'Alaska Oilrigs' on flightsim.com They're for FS9, so may need tweaking).

As Cook Inlet comprises mature fields, (some since decommisioned, with structures removed entirely),
jackups/semi-subs have been exceptionally rare, & always short-term visitors here, (even if 'MS Flight' infers otherwise). :D

N.B.
Google oilrig results disproportionately feature piccies of jackups & semi-subs,
as these're often temporarily moored inshore, or in harbour, thus easily accessible by photgraphers,
whereas fixed platforms are many miles offshore, and aren't. ;)

Placement of supplementary models, e.g. vessels, might be appropriate for non-helideck types.

Model Converter X issues -
MCX is an excellent tool, and much appreciated personally.
When exporting, it clearly asks if you are the author or have permission.

Decompiling -
These models are not faulty.

Our ODG packages support 3 generations of flight sim, (FS2002 through FSX).
Many of the files are FS-version specific.

Each model type comprises multiple files, (VISUAL/PAD/FLATTEN/EFFECTS/etc).
Some package's files only contain placement info, (calling library objects).

MCX does not support decompiling all of those file types.

If you have run the 'ODG Configurator',
the bgl files will have been renamed appropriately
clearly differentiating their type, purpose, and FS-version.

Helidecks -
Due to FS-version incompatibilities
helideck hardens are contained in PAD file BGLs
independent of the VISUAL model's BGL.

If you are experiencing fall throughs
then you've not repositioned the PAD appropriately, (or in this case, at all). :D

Textures -
The textures are not faulty.

Though unrelatedly, there are two files with FSX-specific transparency issues.

If you have installed the ODG packages correctly there should be no missing textures.
All known missing textures were incorporated into the bugfix packages, (last public release was v 1.5 in 2011).

Black helidecks indicate that your folder is missing the model-name specific texture,
(all of which were present in the original packages).

PS Richard -
From what I can see,
you've only downloaded 6 out of 23 of our UKEZ visual model packages. :wave:

HTH
ATB
Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul -

Thanks for the response - no disrespect intended, just wasn't sure how active the ODG forums still were. In the future i will definitely check there first:eek:

I have never added or manipulated scenery in FSX so this whole thing is a little overwhelming. I understand the situation with the Cook Inlet being a different type, I will follow up on the 3rd party you mentioned that did a Cook Inlet package already.

I gaurantee you - that you will never see your work redistributed illegally through me.

Richard

Hi Folks

Richard -
No worries at all. :D

Just trying to emphasize it's not abandonware,
and also hopefully drum up some additional interest
from any modeler who might consider creating offshore sceneries.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Hi all,

I have downloaded this oil Rig scenery.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/7122/fsx-3-gps-oil-platforms-scenery/

How can I either edit the files to change the location, or position oil rigs around Hawaii?

I can't install sdk on fsxse.

Basically I use Hawaii scenery and want to fly helicopter oil Rig operations with shared cockpit online with a friend so I need a file they can install to for same positioning.

If someone could make this for me that would be great. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Heretic

Resource contributor
First and foremost: We're here to help you help yourself. Therefor, no "make this", "do that" services.

Second: The SDK in FSXSE is incomplete for reasons only Dovetail knows, but you may use the P3D v1.4 SDK which also works for FSX content.
https://prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

Third, you can use ModelConverterX to place objects. Just open the .bgl file containing the model or the .mdl file and use the placement tool.
https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/

Hi Folks

Richard -
No worries at all. :D

Just trying to emphasize it's not abandonware,
and also hopefully drum up some additional interest
from any modeler who might consider creating offshore sceneries.

HTH
ATB
Paul
Glad to hear it Paul.
I have been rebuilding my FSX-SE installation after getting a newer computer and this post is a good reason to get over to ODG and get my offshore world back in order.
Are there any known issues with Windows 10?
Cheers
Gary

First and foremost: We're here to help you help yourself. Therefor, no "make this", "do that" services.

Second: The SDK in FSXSE is incomplete for reasons only Dovetail knows, but you may use the P3D v1.4 SDK which also works for FSX content.
https://prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

Third, you can use ModelConverterX to place objects. Just open the .bgl file containing the model or the .mdl file and use the placement tool.
https://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/
Thanks for the information, but I still have a problem, I have tried using the ModelConverter X program to place the object but it won't open the .BGL file, I get this error:

Error: No objects found in file.

https://ibb.co/mOxJy6

I get the error for all of the .BGL files that I try to open.

Please can someone help me to help myself?

Thanks.

Oh right, well I get that error when opening it. They do have navigation frequency included too.

I haven't been successful in opening the default rig either, something opens but no texture and when I try load it to place it nothing happens, get error about a bgl compiler.

All I want to know is how I can place a default oil Rig near Hawaii and for it to have an NDB or similar navigation aid to locate it. I want it to be a file that my friend can place in his addon scenery too for us to coop fly. Thanks

=rk=

Resource contributor
If you use Instant Scenery 3 to place the default oil derrick and then ADE to create the airport for it, the whole process should take about 20-30 minutes. Here is the default animated oil rig plus a static ship model I placed in the South China Sea off the coast of Vietnam:

It's not that hard and fun to acquire the skill.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Thanks for the information, but I still have a problem, I have tried using the ModelConverter X program to place the object but it won't open the .BGL file, I get this error:

Error: No objects found in file.

https://ibb.co/mOxJy6

I get the error for all of the .BGL files that I try to open.

Please can someone help me to help myself?

Thanks.
If you get that message, it means that the BGL file only contains placement information, not a model. ModelConverter is no use in that case.

Maybe SBuilderX can get you somewhere, but I can't offer any help since I've never used it to place objects.

If you use Instant Scenery 3 to place the default oil derrick and then ADE to create the airport for it, the whole process should take about 20-30 minutes. Here is the default animated oil rig plus a static ship model I placed in the South China Sea off the coast of Vietnam:
It's not that hard and fun to acquire the skill.

Thanks for the info, I got about 3 errors opening SBuilder probably because of the SDK not installed/working with the steam edition? but once in I started a new project, unfortunately I couldn't find the oil rig in the list of scenery given or open any of the oilXX.bgl files.

The Instant Scenery 3 software is quite expensive for me.

If someone would be so kind as to add land-able oil rigs to the approximate locations shown in image below and post the .bgl file for me to add to my scenery then I would be most grateful. If NDB can't be included then could you just position them on the nearest GPS way points for us to find.

http://ibb.co/f8HNRR

Thanks for your help.