• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX ODG - Offshore Sceneries (Oil Rigs)

Country
unitedkingdom
I've told you in my second to last post that the P3Dv1.4 SDK is your only alternative to the FSXSE SDK.

Awesome, thank you, but I have instead given up on the Hawaiian option and downloaded the one in the link below which is situated off the coast of Scotland. I'll use this with ORBX EGPB scenery to fly the operations from. I would have preferred an NDB or ADF as in real life with a range limit but it will do. There are other default FSX oil rigs not too far away with that facility, although the textures are poor e.g. Snorre Platform.

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxscen&DLID=163521

Country
us-california
Awesome, thank you, but I have instead given up on the Hawaiian option and downloaded the one in the link below which is situated off the coast of Scotland. I'll use this with ORBX EGPB scenery to fly the operations from. I would have preferred an NDB or ADF as in real life with a range limit but it will do. There are other default FSX oil rigs not too far away with that facility, although the textures are poor e.g. Snorre Platform.

Wow CrazySmurf,
You just hijacked this thread, had these fine folks take their time to troubleshoot your issues, at which point they gave you good information to learn how to overcome your issues, and then you blew off their suggestions to ask someone to simply solve your issues by making what you needed, and then told them if they won't make what you want, forget it you will go to plan B rather than take their advice which would have opened up a whole new world of flightsim experiences for you.

You could have learned everything you needed to know from these guys if you had put forth the effort to show them you wanted to learn.

Which is fine, considering that they could have simply done your bidding in less time than it took to respond to your inquiries. But remember it is a case of "give a man a fish you feed him for one day, teach him to fish and he can feed himself for the rest of his life".

Bjoern, George, and Rick have set countless simmers on the path to knowledge, myself included, they know what they are talking about, but they had to learn too, they post to inquiries like yours because they want to help others to learn. Despite your failure to take their advice, they'll try to help the next guy who wants to learn.

Everything I ever needed to learn at FSDeveloper and elsewhere, I learned simply by asking others to point me in the right direction, and then doing the work. If I fell down someone always picked me up, got me going again, and while I am not even in their expertise universe, I learned how to do what I needed to fulfill each of my Fligtsim dreams.

It is hard to say whether you have burnt your bridges here, maybe next time they and others will remember and simply ignore your posts, maybe they and others will help you to help yourself again, its hard to say.

Take my advice, next time, whether it is here or in some other forum, expect the same advice as these folks gave you to learn how to do what you need to do. People WILL spend more time teaching you than they would have spent to simply fulfill your requests because they know that if they don't toss you out of the nest and make you fly, you will then have another request, and another and never learn.

Best Regards
Gman

Country
unitedkingdom
Apologies, I didn't intend to upset anyone, I thanked everyone for their help, it was much appreciated, unfortunately the software wasn't working for me due to my steam edition or what ever other reasons, and I wasn't going to spend money on software that may or may not have worked just to place a scenery object to achieve my only goal which I made clear from the outset, so I found the next best solution to achieve my goal.

Country
us-california
Apologies, I didn't intend to upset anyone, I thanked everyone for their help, it was much appreciated, unfortunately the software wasn't working for me due to my steam edition or what ever other reasons, and I wasn't going to spend money on software that may or may not have worked just to place a scenery object to achieve my only goal which I made clear from the outset, so I found the next best solution to achieve my goal.

Hi CrazySmurf,
I didn't say you upset anyone, I apologize to you, and to others in the conversation if they think that it was my intent to suggest that they had been upset. What happened here happens fairly often.

Unlike most flightsim sites, this one is built around Flight Simulator Development, that's why everyone immediately went to work to point you in the right direction to acquire the necessary skills and tools to get where you wanted to go.

There are not too many issues related to Steam, SDKs, and scenery object placement without spending the money to buy software like Instant Scenery that can't be sorted out. It just requires answering questions and following directions, and occasionally starting from scratch to get all of the sdk's and updates installed in the right order.

While FSX-SE presented the problem of no sdk, the LM P3D 1.4 sdk solved the problem and was a lot easier to deal with than many older versions of FSX which may require re-installing FSX to get the updates and sdk's installed in a particular order.

Things have changed drastically since the old days, we have a lot less freeware sceneries and aircraft, but we have people who have developed freeware utilities which allow us to do things we never dreamed of having the skills to do, like developing our own sceneries and aircraft. And, we have the combined expertise of many developers who have learned to use those utilities, who can help to suss out any problems we may encounter.

And although many developers produce payware products nowadays, they often pay forward the help they received when they started out, by helping budding developers and hobbyists get started on their projects. Someone may respond to an inquiry while taking a break from a very busy day of work, and the recipient of that response may not even know he is being helped by a top-notch developer who is an expert on the subject. The followups to the conversation could end up taking time away from his work, or his family time.

Please don't take my comments as chastising you for what has transpired here, my comments were as much for others with similar issues who will come upon this thread in the future, it is about understanding the opportunities which may present themselves, and how to take advantage of them.

In fact, many will learn from what was presented to you by those who responded to your inquiries, and my comments are simply trying to take a lemon, and make lemonade for those who happen to read this thread while searching for similar information, to give them a little nudge to just pick up the ball and run with it.

Glad to hear your Plan B is good enough for your needs, back in the old days of FS, we took advantage of a lot of Plan B's because few knew people knew how to accomplish Plan A. Nowadays, most Plan A's are doable, because we are given the tools, given the instructions, and given the opportunity to learn.

Cheers
Gman

Country
unitedkingdom

DONT GIVE UP!!!! the work that ODG have put into there scenery is outstanding and well work trying to make it work.

All of what you want NDB etc is built into the scenery and allows for real ops. It is not click and install scenery, but the install process is well documented. I have been using it in p3d (all versions and fsx). It does work, just takes some reading.

Country
unitedkingdom
Maybe we could try again?

I agree with the post above, the people here

Maybe we could try again?

The people here Are amazing and have helped me with countless problems. Some times I can hear the grown (oh another problem!) As I push the post button. But, they always come to the rescue.

First things first ...... It is not easy learning or doing scenery development. It is a learning curve and one that can be very challenging and frustrating at times. Trust me...... I know first hand. However, the sense of achievement when you publish your first project is what makes you want to do it over and over again...... be warned ........ It is additive.

MCX - is without doubt the finest programmes out there for developers. Anro is simple a FS developer wizard!!!! I don't know how he does what he does, but he does it. If your looking for a click hear and push there and drag here programme. Then it is not the programme for you and you will have to spend money or use the the SDK or sim director.

So back to your problem....... I am going to assume You know nothing? If you have steam fsx, there is no SDK that comes with it. You need the SDK as it has all the internal programmes needed to create, complie and publish your scenery. Now as mentioned above, you can use the Prepared 3d version 1.4 SDK which will work with FSX steam. You can get that for free on the p3d website.

Let me know when you have installed it and we will start the MCX setup.

Country
mexico
Bjoern, George, and Rick have set countless simmers on the path to knowledge, myself included, they know what they are talking about, but they had to learn too, they post to inquiries like yours because they want to help others to learn. Despite your failure to take their advice, they'll try to help the next guy who wants to learn.

Everything I ever needed to learn at FSDeveloper and elsewhere, I learned simply by asking others to point me in the right direction, and then doing the work. If I fell down someone always picked me up, got me going again, and while I am not even in their expertise universe, I learned how to do what I needed to fulfill each of my Fligtsim dreams.
AMEN for that! :wizard: