Oh no, not again...

Hello developers,

Some of you may remember I created a thread some months ago about a mysterious problem:
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/gauge-does-not-load.444489/

To make a long story short (if you don't want to read 3 pages of discussion), a friend of mine modified the FSX B738 panel to include one of my gauges, and the modification (like any other modification) was completely ignored, FSX SE ran exactly as if the panel.cfg file was still the same.
Unfortunately, this had just happened again today with an EasyFMC customer, he installed EasyFMC in the FSX Learjet and nothing happened. I saw something was wrong when he sent me the panel.cfg with windows title in french, whereas the window titles were appearing in english in the FSX pull down menu... I suspected this same problem again so I asked him to DELETE the panel.cfg file (in fact he moved it in another folder to avoid losing it), it means the aircraft had no panel.cfg anymore. Guess what? When he loaded the Learjet, everything was OK and the panel appeared like magic.

How can a panel appear when the panel.cfg doesn't exist? I don't know... but it appears it is the same problem again, any modification and even the deletion of the panel.cfg file is just ignored.

If you have any clue to explain this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Eric: I'm wondering if 'SE' is the clue. When Steam fires up a game, it does a file check to make sure everything is where it should be. Sometimes it throws an error, sometimes it just quietly reinstates missing files. Good for gamers who are not PC-literate. Or is the panel.cfg still missing?

Just a thought.

I am willing to bet the issue is because the actual panel.cfg being used by the sim is located in the DLC folder for FSX:SE

Eric: I'm wondering if 'SE' is the clue. When Steam fires up a game, it does a file check to make sure everything is where it should be. Sometimes it throws an error, sometimes it just quietly reinstates missing files. Good for gamers who are not PC-literate. Or is the panel.cfg still missing?

Just a thought.
Yes that's a possibility because I never saw this happening with FSX but I saw it twice on FSX SE. Nevertheless, when the panel.cfg is destroyed, it is not re-created by FSX SE.

I am willing to bet the issue is because the actual panel.cfg being used by the sim is located in the DLC folder for FSX:SE
The aircraft he uses is the standard Learjet 45, which is not a DLC. Nevertheless, I asked him to check and he confirmed the DLC folder only contains Carenado and Active Sky subfolders. From my personal experience, I remember this folder was empty before I bought my first DLC.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Now this is a strange one....... I transferred (long old story) to FSX.SE from DVD versions. I replaced the WHOLE 737 folder in the sim objects and renamed the old one and moved it to a safe haven. My version had some fixes in it like the light switches and Id altered the LM textures so that any cargo Ac did not have the night lights in non existing windows - and then I made a change to the exterior lighting so I did have taxi lights, landing and logo all working nicely. This week I see a steam update on boot up and suddenly my 737 is back to default as is my 321 which had the engine sound and thrust fixed to stop the sill million knots on take off surge.

Me thinks Eric you have a good, relevant point!!

Gareth

Now this is a strange one....... I transferred (long old story) to FSX.SE from DVD versions. I replaced the WHOLE 737 folder in the sim objects and renamed the old one and moved it to a safe haven. My version had some fixes in it like the light switches and Id altered the LM textures so that any cargo Ac did not have the night lights in non existing windows - and then I made a change to the exterior lighting so I did have taxi lights, landing and logo all working nicely. This week I see a steam update on boot up and suddenly my 737 is back to default as is my 321 which had the engine sound and thrust fixed to stop the sill million knots on take off surge.

Me thinks Eric you have a good, relevant point!!

Gareth
Gareth, your story looks really interesting but I am not sure I fully understood what you wrote.
Are you saying that you moved the 737 to a different folder and updated it, and when there was a Steam update for FSX SE, all your modifications were ignored and you were back to the original aircraft? Is that correct?
If so, can you please tell me if now, after the Steam Update, you can modify the panel.cfg? Or is the modification ignored?

BTW, I am surprised because I have FSX SE for some years and I never had any Steam Update...

Eric

Hello Guys,

As I keep looking for an explanation, I found this about the "game cache":
https://flightsimeindhoven.com/2016/11/19/verify-integrity-of-game-cache-2/

It means that FSX SE manages a game cache that stores all the game files as they are when FSX SE is installed. This is good to restore broken or lost files.
But do you think it may have an impact related to my problem? Do you think FSX SE can reload the modified panel.cfg file from the game cache because it detects a file that is not supposed to be modified by the user?
I don't think it acts this way because :
1) the modified panel.cfg is still there
2) when the panel.cfg is delete, the aircraft and its panel work fine and panel.cfg file is not restored
3) I could modifiy the panel.cfg on my system without any problem
4) users should be allowed to modify panel.cfg for their own usage

Nevertheless, I feel this could be part of the explanation.
What do you think?

Eric

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Gareth, your story looks really interesting but I am not sure I fully understood what you wrote.
Are you saying that you moved the 737 to a different folder and updated it, and when there was a Steam update for FSX SE, all your modifications were ignored and you were back to the original aircraft? Is that correct?
If so, can you please tell me if now, after the Steam Update, you can modify the panel.cfg? Or is the modification ignored?

BTW, I am surprised because I have FSX SE for some years and I never had any Steam Update...

Eric
to clarify. I installed steam. Then I went to the fsx folder in steam and removed the 737 folder and placed that in a safe place and replaced it with a complete folder of 737's with all the defaults plus new AC's and new config file to support. This came from my old fsx so I know I could install them and use them.......however, having done that and did use it for a few days an update appeared ob booting up my new shiny computer stating there was an update for steam. I assumed it was software functions and it went ahead - suddenly my 737 repaints were gone leaving only defaults and the config was as before my changes. how ever, AC's I added with my own fixes and some switch gauge and lighting additions have stayed in place - it look like steam corrected defaults - cannot state that for sure just strange that something Id put in there, worked and reverted some how back to the default

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Hello Guys,

As I keep looking for an explanation, I found this about the "game cache":
https://flightsimeindhoven.com/2016/11/19/verify-integrity-of-game-cache-2/

It means that FSX SE manages a game cache that stores all the game files as they are when FSX SE is installed. This is good to restore broken or lost files.
But do you think it may have an impact related to my problem? Do you think FSX SE can reload the modified panel.cfg file from the game cache because it detects a file that is not supposed to be modified by the user?
I don't think it acts this way because :
1) the modified panel.cfg is still there
2) when the panel.cfg is delete, the aircraft and its panel work fine and panel.cfg file is not restored
3) I could modifiy the panel.cfg on my system without any problem
4) users should be allowed to modify panel.cfg for their own usage

Nevertheless, I feel this could be part of the explanation.
What do you think?

Eric
It could very well be so as when it checks the configs against the original it has stored it sees what could be a corruption ( there isnt one of course) because we have been naughty simmers and changed the config to what we want and not what they want

It could very well be so as when it checks the configs against the original it has stored it sees what could be a corruption ( there isnt one of course) because we have been naughty simmers and changed the config to what we want and not what they want
Yes, this is what I initially thought, but... If FSX SE was unhappy because the naughty simmer has changed a config file (panel.cfg in that case) from an aircraft provided with FSX, I think it would RESTORE the original panel.cfg and we would see it. In fact, what happens here is that the panel.cfg IS modified, but FSX SE acts as if it was the original file. But when the file is opened again, it appaears as MODIFIED, it is not the original file.
It is still a mystery...

It might simply read the files from the cache, and ignore the edited files?
Certainly. If this is true, I guess the cache is online because I didn't find any panel.cfg file other than the "standard" one in the aircraft "panel" folder.
And if this is true, I still wonder why everything works perfect on my system and not on others?
I can change the C172 panel.cfg as I wish and the modifications are taken into account but it is not the case for my friend.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Based on what Tom said. When you are "editing" the config files are you signed in to steam? Perhaps as Tom (I think) alludes to is that it might be that the cache is holding the functions and edits are not yet pipeline'd to that so it might not take the changes. Just a guesstimate of mine here

Based on what Tom said. When you are "editing" the config files are you signed in to steam? Perhaps as Tom (I think) alludes to is that it might be that the cache is holding the functions and edits are not yet pipeline'd to that so it might not take the changes. Just a guesstimate of mine here
I don't think this is the explanation because the cache restore is an action that you trigger manually, I don't think there is any background task that watches the FSX files. In addition, I think the cache is online, it is not on your hard drive. I wish I was wrong here because I would be happy to explorer what is in the cache.
As far as I understand, the cache is designed to restore FSX files even if you crash your hard drive, so it can't be on your hard drive. ut I may be completely wrong, these are just assumptions...

tgibson

Resource contributor
This may not be a Steam cache thing. Sometimes Windows also keeps a cache. Are these files located in a Program Files folder of any sort? If so, the original files may be somewhere on your hard drive, and may be hidden.

This may not be a Steam cache thing. Sometimes Windows also keeps a cache. Are these files located in a Program Files folder of any sort? If so, the original files may be somewhere on your hard drive, and may be hidden.
This is very interesting, I didn't know Windows had such feature, but it would explain why me and my friend have different behaviors. Not only I have always been administrator on my system (maybe my friend isn't) but my FSX SE is not in a Program Files subfolder.
But how to explain that a stock aircraft modification is ignored but an add-on aircraft modification works?
Maybe I forgot to tell you all that the same panel.cfg modification works fine, as expected, on any add-on aircraft, it only fails with FSX "own" aircraft.
I will try to find more info about this Windows cache mechanism.

tgibson

Resource contributor
That may not be your problem, I thought that only happened to files in Program Files folders. But you never know for sure...

That may not be your problem, I thought that only happened to files in Program Files folders. But you never know for sure...
I checked this with my friend, and he replied to me his FSX in NOT installed in a Program Files subfolder, it is installed on another hard drive.
Can it make a difference? I don't know.