"ON HOLD" - FSX Nautical Weather (long)

[Due to the success of the suggestion made by Heritic below this request is ON HOLD. If a problem arises I will remove this disclaimer; however, feel free to add comment.]

Hello,

Some of you know I have started a long-term blog devoted to simulated vintage circumnavigation sailing adventures at (shameless plug):

Captain Codetrucker's Virtual Voyages (http://captaincodetrucker.com)

...using Milton Shupe's and company's beautiful "HMS Bounty" ship model. It is going well, and I am enjoying the experience immensely because the Bounty sails like its real-world counterpart. The only issue I have is I have to go to nautical weather maps and read the barbs at the lat/lon the ship s located. Then I have to manually set the conditions in the FSX, "User-defined" weather dialog. This requirement steals from the greatest of all simulation experience: our holy grail of the Suspension of Disbelief. The unknown aspect of the weather we may encounter in our simflying is a dimension which is not available for us virtual mariners.

Does anyone know if there is an FSX weather feed for the USA's National Oceanic and Space Administration (NOAA) website or other resources?

All of the present FSX weather products do an excellent job for aircraft at thousands of feet, but the HMS Bounty is at, well, sea level. ;)
I have tried AS6, ASE, ASNext, AS2016 and REX, but none do much for marine environments and especially on the high seas. NOAA has over 1,300 buoys itself, and this figure does not include what other nations deployed.

In the event an FSX weather feed is not already available I would be interested in an evaluation of the probability of bringing this to reality. Is it even possible?

For clarity, this is how I see this happening:
Some device makes connection with the NOAA website (the right one). The device receives the data and processes it for FSX. FSX is populated and presents the correct winds and weather.

Oversimplified I know, but I the this is clear. I don't have the skills to write the code, XML, etc., but I am more than willing to be the gopher (go-for) and do any research or work necessary.

What do you think?

Thank you for your consideration.
Calvin

Last edited:
Hi H.,

Thank you for the link. Are you saying you know this provides accurate surface winds and weather or just offering a suggestion? Either way I will test it out and report back here.

I agree my request (as well as my others made here and elsewhere) is beyond the original design scope, but the HMS Bounty, etc. models are proof there are some opportunities. I have noted there are huge amounts of time and energy expended around here by very generous people who work for some they might know and a vast majority they don't or probably ever will. It is out of respect for them (yourself included) which is the very reason I always come here with my hat in my hand when asking any question or making any request. Still, the fact remains I won't know unless I ask, eh?

@Anyone - As a way of "giving back" on my limited level I would like to make myself available to any developer here for any research, etc. I can't do a lot, but I can do something. :)

Take care.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Thank you for the link. Are you saying you know this provides accurate surface winds and weather or just offering a suggestion? Either way I will test it out and report back here.
It's freeware and therefor easy to try, so it's just a suggestion.

I agree my request (as well as my others made here and elsewhere) is beyond the original design scope, but the HMS Bounty, etc. models are proof there are some opportunities. I have noted there are huge amounts of time and energy expended around here by very generous people who work for some they might know and a vast majority they don't or probably ever will. It is out of respect for them (yourself included) which is the very reason I always come here with my hat in my hand when asking any question or making any request. Still, the fact remains I won't know unless I ask, eh?
Asking is free, but the cards should lay open from the start as to not create false hopes.

Nobody here works for anybody, unless it's in a solid business partnership or voluntary team effort with equal work distribution. We just share knowledge and the occasional bits and pieces and I've never heard of anyone doing a project for somebody else for free.

@Anyone - As a way of "giving back" on my limited level I would like to make myself available to any developer here for any research, etc. I can't do a lot, but I can do something. :)
I, for one, appreciate the thought, but only (learning to do some) actual work (sceneries, modeling, coding, textures, etc.) really counts in here.

Hi H.,

FSXWX - Wow! This software seems to be working very well. So far it has made FSX rain 150nm offshore, and the FSX winds are pretty accurate in direction and strength compared to the marine website's reports. The only issue has been that if I try to transport to anywhere else FSX crashes. The good news is I am not flying all over the place, and FSXWX is playing quite nicely with the Bounty's travels. Kudos! As a result, I will edit the OP to put this "ON HOLD" if and until FSXWX bombs.

Thank you for your candor. It makes things unambiguous and clear understanding makes for long relationships. :)

One other thing kept stirring around in my brain about the limitations of the models and FS9/FSX. I remembered that several years ago I put myself on a discipline to only fly one aircraft for a minimum of 50 hours to get very good with that aircraft. I also only chose to fly the Hawaiian Islands to keep cruise to a minimum. Somewhere before the 50hr mark, I became acutely aware the model and FS9 had a much deeper capability in simulating the real world as I understood it. I discovered the aircraft had subtle nuances which I would never have recognized if I hadn't limited myself to a single model for a significant duration. The main surprise was even the models reputed to be mediocre had similar depth. What I learned changed the way I have approached flight simulations.

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
I've never heard of anyone doing a project for somebody else for free.
I've done things for others for free, and have requested work from others who have given that to me for free. I'm sure others have similar experiences. Developers that are hobbyists are more likely to do this than commercial developers, as there isn't a cost related to their time. And that is quite understandable.

I'm glad the FSXWX is working well.

Heretic

Resource contributor
I've done things for others for free, and have requested work from others who have given that to me for free. I'm sure others have similar experiences. Developers that are hobbyists are more likely to do this than commercial developers, as there isn't a cost related to their time. And that is quite understandable.
I wasn't referring to favors taking a few hours at best, but projects you have little personal interest in that take hundred(s of) hours to complete.