• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

"On Key" Number List - solvED

Country
switzerland
Hi,

I'd like to create/modify some xml gauges by adding/changing "On Key" entries.

In xml gauges we have the section <Keys>
Then for example :

<On Key="577" ID="Control+A">

Where can I find a list of those numbers ? Especially those with CTRL+SHIFT combo. It is not ASCII code.

I search in SDK files without success. Google doesn't have the solution too.

I'd like to find :
<On Key="???" ID="Shift+0">
<On Key="???" ID="Shift+p">
<On Key="???" ID="Shift+o">
<On Key="???" ID="Shift+l">

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

Country
switzerland
Well, I solved with Excel lol

Find out that SHIFT+ is just the ASCII number + 256
CTRL = ASCII + 512
CTRL + SHIFT = ASCII + 768

Logical!

Cheers

Country
thailand
Good job! Lot's of things are solved with Excel :wizard:

If you're interested in some additional info, take a look at the Key Traps wiki.

Bob

Country
italy
Interesting
Excuse me if I go off topic but let me ask: Is something like this available for C/C++ gauges without having to work at lower level (I'm using DirectInput for example) to intercept keys?
Thank you,
Marco

Country
italy
SimConnect
Right, but it's not that easy...even DirectInput may appear as simpler (at least to me). Plus with DirectInput you can be sure your code (gauge) is portable across almost all FS/P3D versions running on windows, when was SimConnect first introduced, in FSX?
Thank you WarpD!

Country
us-ohio
FS9 is no longer a viable development target, though I know there are those who refuse to move onward. However it's an extremely dead platform at this point. As for DirectInput, it is not an ideal method because the user may have other addons that want to use custom key strokes that you've decided to intercept. Things can go south quickly. In short, working inside the "sandbox" ensures you are unlikely to conflict with anything else. Of course, if you're developing for FS9 you probably don't have any competition for user input in that area, so I can understand it may not be much of a concern to you. However in other sims, it can be.

How to do keyboard input utilizing SimConnect is well documented here in the Wiki.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
But we few that refuse to move on from FS9 are a proud people. :)

Seriously, I haven't seen enough features in later sims that make me want to upgrade. I had already refused to update the dozens of aircraft I had created for FS9 to FSX format when they should have been fully FSX compatible (according to MS's promises to me during FSX development). And since I fly in the 1960s, sims later than FS9 only have more work to do backdating navaids and approaches that have been removed from what was already in FS9.

Last edited: