• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

one dang tree on runway and it's driving me crazy

I ran a search and I couldn't come up with a previous post that seemed completely pertinent to my issue.

I'm running P3D 4.5 and have built a nominal representation of KSZP with ADE. I've had this custom addon working great before but I don't know what has changed.

I have placed it over Orbx Southern California. In my World-Options menu I have "scenery complexity" as Very Dense, "autogen vegetation density" as Very Dense. I have an exclusion rectangle under the whole airport area. I have a shape poly under the whole airport area with FlattenMask ClassMap ExcludeAutogen enabled.

The addon scenery file for this airport is located above all the Orbx addons. The Static Objects file for the objects utilized in this airport are below my ADEX scenery file and above the Orbx addons.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here? Do I have a conflict with a default Orbx KSZP somewhere? If so, where is the FTX file located so I can disable it?

Obie

Attachments

• KSZP_1.jpg
    KSZP_1.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 74
  • KSZP_2.jpg
    KSZP_2.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 197
  • KSZP_3.jpg
    KSZP_3.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 80
  • KSZP_4.jpg
    KSZP_4.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 77
  • KSZP_ADEP4_WDS.ad4
    35.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Country
us-florida
I don't have any version of P3D so this is based on my FSX experience. I would make a Terrain Polygon to cover the area where the default landclass is showing between the runway and apron. Make it type Airport Background, Mask Class Map Exclude Autogen. This should eliminate the trees. Autogen is created based on the landclass underneath. When you mask the landclass and don't replace it the Sim defaults to the airfield grass landclass defined for that area of the world. Normally there is no autogen on airfield grass landclass. Hope this helps.

Ed

Ed thanks for your suggestions. I found the problem. Somehow I deleted or moved the default Orbx FTX files for KSZP and it created the problem. When I reinstated them, the custom ADE KSZP I made was restored without issue.
KSZP_5.jpg

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Obie:

Apparently your design depends on allowing the underlying non-airport background-type land class to show through at KSZP.

In KSZP_2.jpg above, elliptical ground areas surrounded by your Apron / Taxiway textures near the Helipad show underlying land class through your 'gaps'.

In the case of OrbX FTX land class at that geographic location, there is Autogen objects extending off the elliptical areas onto the Apron / Taxiway area.

kszp_2-jpg.77519

Instead of depending on underlying FTX land class to provide textures (which have Autogen annotations), in ADE, create your own land class terrain polygons mapped with an assigned texture that does not have any Autogen annotations in your own airport layer.

kszp_helipad_area_ge-1-jpg.77528

Also, to prevent issues with this and other add-ons in the future, you can create an FTX Central Insertion Point for all OrbX FTX layers to keep them from re-inserting themselves at the top of the priority stack of layers in Scenery Library GUI.

By keeping OrbX FTX layers near- but not at the top of- Area layers in Scenery Library GUI, you may see more predictable results.

PS: A "exclusion rectangle under the whole airport area" only excludes 'some' default land class Autogen, not custom or FTX land class Autogen.

To exclude custom or FTX Autogen, one must create a Terrain Polygon with ExcludeAutogen enabled, positioned above land class with unwanted Autogen.

GaryGB

Attachments

• KSZP_Helipad_Area_GE-1.jpg
    KSZP_Helipad_Area_GE-1.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Thanks Gary. Good info. I see the ground poly tool in ADE but where (or how) do I create or obtain the textures?

Country
us-illinois
Hi Obie:

The last ADE manual in PDF format is linked here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...65-english-manual-released.433288/post-702796

See: 9.2.2 Terrain Polygons: with ADE for FSX on Page 132 of 209

I recommend a review of Jim Vile's tutorial in a thread regarding how to utilize ADE with terrain land class texture polygons:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/landclass-visibility-problem.15173/

Additionally, if you are familiar with SBuilderX, you may wish to review Luis Feliz-Tirado's tutorials:

Terrain Design

sendfile.php

File Description:
Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X

This simple illustrated document explains the basic concepts in Flight Simulator X terrain, and how to change them using SBuilder for FS X. Make new water bodies, roads, vehicle traffic, airport flattens, remove autogen, add more detail - anybody can do it easily and quickly.
My most sincere apologies - I am unable, for lack of free time, to offer support of any kind. For questions or problems, please post in the Avsim scenery design forum.

Filename: terrain_design_for_flight_simulator_x.zip
License: Freeware
Added: 14th December 2009, 13:29:15
Downloads: 16648
Author: Luis Feliz-Tirado
Size: 3991kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=141643

To make more accurate FS scenery, you are likely to also encounter these topics at some point as well:

Make photo-real ground textures

sendfile.php

File Description:
It is very easy to create your very own high-resolution, custom (photo-real) ground textures. This document explains the concepts and techniques and illustrates the use of SBuilderX with which you can quickly and easily download aerial images and make this type of scenery. So, why hesitate? Make Flight Simulator scenery as real as it gets! Very sorry - no support of any kind is offered. Please do not write. For any questions, please post in the Avsim Scenery Design Forum.

Filename: make_photo-real_ground_textures_in_fs_x.zip
Added: 21st November 2009, 23:20:06
Downloads: 17714
Size: 2143kb

How to create photoreal scenery for FSX
https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=140539

Using the Autogen Annotator

sendfile.php

File Description:
The Autogen Annotator is a powerful tool for modifying the autogen of default ground textures or adding autogen to custom (photo-real) ground. This document illustrates the use of the tool, and includes a pictorial guide to all autogen object types. Very sorry - no support of any kind is offered. Please do not write. For any questions, please post in the Avsim Scenery Design Forum.

Filename: using_the_autogen_annotator_264833.zip
Added: 21st November 2009, 16:18:51
Downloads: 4220
Size: 8930kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=140537

You may also wish to review at least the first few pages of this (long) very informative thread by Tiberius et al:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?250762-How-to-create-photoreal-scenery-for-FSX:

Hope this helps with the learning process on this topic. :)

GaryGB

Thanks Gary. Lots to study there. Your Google Earth comparison has spurred me to make a more accurate KSZP. It is a gem of an antique and GA airfield. There's a reason Steve McQueen made his home there.