• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

OOM Error

S

sevenflyer

Discussion thread for OOM Error. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

All 32 bit operating systems (WinXP and Vista32) have 4 GBs of Virtual Address Space
Is the above correct for XP ?

From what I can find, only XP Professional supports 4GB VAS.

HTH
ATB
Paul

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Is the above correct for XP ?

From what I can find, only XP Professional supports 4GB VAS.

Paul, that came directly from an official MS document that I read while researching for this article. Unfortunately, I didn't think to maintain a list of references, so can't provide a URL to that MS document at this time...

However, keep in mind that the range of integer values that can be stored in 32 bits is 0 through 4,294,967,295 or −2,147,483,648 through 2,147,483,647 using two's complement encoding. Hence, a processor with 32-bit memory addresses can directly access 4 GB of byte-addressable memory.

Because of this, the maximum size for a VAS table is likewise limited to 4GB, half of which is allocated for the OS + peripherial devices, unless otherwise re-allocated through use of the /3GB switch, and having an application marked as LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE.

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

Cheers Bill.
All the MSDN & KB articles only refer to XP Pro.

Since looked at Phil's blog article -
This switch is supported on both Vista and XP Professional, although I consistently hear reports of the “Out of Memory” issue on Vista and not on XP.

HTH
ATB
Paul

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
In the below cited article, note that for every 32bit OS version, these limits to VAS apply:

User-mode virtual address space for each 32-bit process

2 GB
Up to 3 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE and 4GT

Please refer to the table for max RAM for every OS version. Note that in the table for WinXP, the only version without 4 GB is the Windows XP Starter Edition, with a maximum of 512 MB

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

From the above, it would appear that the reported 3.5 limit applies only to the maximum size of the "User-mode virtual address space." The remaining physical RAM however is still usable by the OS to map the "Kernel-mode virtual address space."

Also, take special note of Phil's second paragraph, first sentence:

Normal Win32 processes have 2G of address space, out of the 4G available. The remaining 2G is left to the OS for its needs, drivers, etc. This is completely independent of physical RAM - this is how much virtual address space each process gets.

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

Bill -
Agreed that 4GB RAM is the Physical Memory Limit for XP.
Understand the other aspects.

User-mode virtual address space for each 32-bit process

2 GB

Up to 3 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE and 4GT

MSDN - 4-Gigabyte Tuning states 4GT is only available on XP Professional.

HTH
ATB
Paul

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
MSDN - 4-Gigabyte Tuning states 4GT is only available on XP Professional.

Since I actually have three systems running WinXP Home Edition, and have successfully used "...the BCDEdit /set command to set the increaseuserva boot entry option to a value between 2048 (2 GB) and 3072 (3 GB)..."

...I have conclude that they are flat wrong in that article... :yikes:

It certainly wouldn't be the first time... :rotfl:

Keep in mind these are the same folks who maintain that one cannot network WinXP Home systems...

...while I've happily networked 3 WinXP Home 'puters, 2 Vista32 'puters and most lately a Win7x4 'puter...

Phil Taylor once remarked that "there's a great deal of confusion..." What many don't seem to realize is that a large amount of the "confusion" is mostly MS generated, with their KB articles that contradict each other...

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Hi FOlks

Bill -
Agreed, lots of conflicting info on MSDN & KBs. :D

Since I actually have three systems running WinXP Home Edition,
and have successfully used "...the BCDEdit /set command
to set the increaseuserva boot entry option
to a value between 2048 (2 GB) and 3072 (3 GB)..."
Not disputing your above,
nor that the boot.ini can be edited to include the switches. :D

My question is -
Does XP Home Edition actually do anything with them ?
i.e.
What difference(s) are you seeing in XP Home Edition ?

PS
Isn't BCDEdit a Vista only tool ?
Equivalent on XP Pro is bootcfg.
Or notepad for XP Home Edition.

Keep in mind these are the same folks
who maintain that one cannot network WinXP Home systems...
Never seen MS make such claims. :D

You've always been able to setup a workgroup
but never join a domain from XP Home Edition.

Lots of articles at - MSDN Search - XP Home Edition network

HTH
ATB
Paul

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Not disputing your above,
nor that the boot.ini can be edited to include the switches. :D

My question is -
Does XP Home Edition actually do anything with them ?
i.e.
What difference(s) are you seeing in XP Home Edition ?

What difference(s)?

Before applying the /3GB switch and increasing userva via the boot.ini file, frequent and repeatable OOM Errors...

...post application, zero OOM Errors after several hundred hours of testing on all three WinXP Home Edition machines.

I've also reversed the process and reverted all three machines to default condition, with the OOM Errors returning with a vengence, so I'm very confident that it isn't merely a placebo effect.

I'm a pragmatist Paul. If it works for me (as it has also worked for others running WinXP Home Edition), then I have to accept the results as valid, licit and successful, irrespective of the claim to the contrary by MS... :coffee:

Regarding the BCDEdit remark, it is indeed a Vista tool. That's the problem with being tired and simply copy/pasting a quoted remark from somewhere else... :tongue-ti