• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Over-sized objects

Country
canada
A friend of mine, who is using an exact copy of GMax as mine with FS2004 SDK, when exporting an object, finds it approximately 1000 times too large. When I export his GMax file it, the size is correct.

We have compared the preferences in our set-ups and unless we have missed something, they all appear alike.

Is this a problems anyone else has had and been able to correct it?

Thanks,

Al Gay

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Could it be that a different unit is set in GMax? I think MakeMDL prefers meters, if you set the units to feet or inch you can get strange results.

Firestriker

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Al,

As Arno mentioned, the units are probably set wrong. On the menu bar, click on Customize > Preferences. On the General Tab, make sure the System Unit Scale is set to 1 unit = 1.0 Meters. This is a MUST!!!

Under Customize > Units Setup set it to what ever you like to measure in. Feet, Meters, etc. This is only so you have a way to measure that is handy for you and has nothing to do with the way the model itself is stored. Max will automatically convert your measurements to the System Unit Scale values in the model. You don't even have to enter in measurements in your current chosen Units Setup. If you are working in feet and and you enter in a metric value, say 10.000m, Max will convert it so you don't have to do the math, but you do have to enter in the proper measurement extension, "m".

Lou

Country
canada
Hi Lou,

My question now then is "What will the size of the object be when it is exported"?

Personally I have my System Unit Scale set at: 1 Unit =1.0 Feet and a check mark in Automatic Unit Conversion. This allows me to work in Feet and Inches and when I export the sizes are correct.

Since mine is working well I hesitate to make the changes.

Further comment would certainly be appreciated.

Al

Firestriker

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
Al,

If you are using the makemdl.exe that came with FS2002Pro, yes, you set the System Unit Scale to 1 unit = 1 Feet. Every version of makemdl.exe since that uses 1 unit = 1 Meter. I did not think anyone was still using the old FS2002Pro version as it had some bugs that were fixed in the later versions.

mm1.gif

mm2.gif

Lou

Country
canada
Hi Lou,

I guess we are really on different pages here. I am actually using FS2004SDK and exporting in XML. As you probably know, it works considerably different. The Location, headings etc. is all added after the the mdl is made and it is done in the xml file.

Would still appreciate any more ideas.

Al

Country
canada
Hello again Lou,

I have just been informed by my buddy that had the problems that he was having have been corrected by your advise.

He wishes that I thanks you, and I certainly do.

Cheers,

Al gay

Country
us-illinois
heee reminds me of when i first started to stumble my way through with gMAX... created a beacon mast that could be seen from orbit. Just went looking for the pic but was unsuccessful. I popped a chuckle.