P3D v3/v4 Addon-Packages

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I am curious as to how many folks are using the 'newer' method of installing airports into P3D v4 - that is the add-on package. This has the advantage of keeping the sim installation bare default and is intended to replace adding scenery area folders into the sim Scenery folder array - e'g' Addon Scenery.

I am aware that both Simple Airport Scanner and the ADE File Priority Analyzer do not currently scan to discover add-ons/modified airports based on addons.cfg It is also a possibility to add some simple functionality into ADE to create such packages.

I use it for all my own created files and I as far as I have seen many payware devs are using it as well. If some user is aksing me how i should install some of my projects I always recomment using one big addon for all custom airports

I put all of my own in the addon scenery as well.
Except for quite some payware scenery, MAIW AI and AIG-AI stuff, they are all in that addon scenery folder.
I have not yet figured out the advantage of doing it in another way as I see no difference in FPS or whatever and P3Dv4 updates do not affect the addon scenery folder either.
If it is simple to add this functionality then by all means do, Jon.
Thanks.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
I agree with Roby on this... If the functionality is simple enough then, by all means, please do so...

I believe that the SDK is specific on how add-ons should be placed... and maybe that needs to be looked at. For ADE to be fully functional in regards to the SDK then it should be added, my 2 cents worth. :twocents: With inflation shouldn't that be closer to 10 cents now? :rotfl:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Good point George. I am not sure. They have to load before any stock airport folders.

Jon

If you use LorbySceneryExporter (available on his web site) you end up with a file called Lorbyscenery.cfg which I understand includes all airports loaded via xml etc. Then point Simple Airport Scanner to this cfg. I attach my cfg as an example. Note I have had to save it as a text file to allow it to be attached.

Dave Butler

Attachments

Deano1973

Resource contributor
I'm now using it, and it's also very handy for adding custom scenery in a way that doesn't mess with the defaults, especially autogen.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Since P3Dv4 I only use the Addon Package method. The advantage is quite clear: all files of a scenery/airplane etc are in one place. This refers to FX-files, Sound-files, Simobjects, Exe, Dll etc. They are no longer distributed in different subdirectories of the P3D Main installation. For me a clear advantage, since it is so clear.

The new routines, which are stored and available in prepar3d.exe, make adding and removing sceneries, planes etc. very easy. So it is no longer necessary to program your own routines. For installation, I only have to call the routine stored in Prepar3d.exe and the entry in add-ons.cfg (C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4) is done automatically. They help the developer to install a scenery tremendously, especially if he can not program himself.

OK, what will you do with alt files?
With the ALT corrections, which the Airport Design Editor uses, I have been very well served with the Layer=2 entry. This works from the beginning without problems:

p3dv4_addon_package_world_layer_resized.jpg

All in all, the addon method is a good thing. It is an actual progress :)

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Thanks Christian - that is very helpful. I think the first thing for ADE is to be able to read add-on airport information added by this method. This is needed by the File Priority Analyzer and the stand alone Simple Airport Scanner. Once this is working then I plan to implement some sort of function to place the addon(s)