• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D V4.4 PBR materials feature needed in MCX PLZ!

Country
newzealand
does somebody have a small test model that uses all three PBR texture slots?
Here's a box, with default material settings. Sorry I didn't realise I had 'assume vertical normal', and 'Metallic map has occlusion' on. Not sure if it matters, but probably if you're trying to read a compiled file.

Also when you export it to an x file, there's a box "export prepar3d v4 mat...'. I've been ticking it, not sure if it flags anything in the compiler or not?
maTyfwW.png

Attachments

• pbr_test_default settings.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 291
Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, that helps.

Tonight I have implemented the export of the PBR materials. So I need to do some more testing if I didn't break anything, but then this feature should be on its way to the development release.

Country
moldova
Thanks, that helps.

Tonight I have implemented the export of the PBR materials. So I need to do some more testing if I didn't break anything, but then this feature should be on its way to the development release.
Can't wait for this )

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Arno...

Will you be adding a conversion option for the Metallic Map (much like the Normal Map conversion within MCX), such as the options of adding stand-alone or separate maps to be mapped into the Metallic Map, since it is made up of 3 separate maps (Smoothness Map, AO Map, and Metallic Map). I'm not suggesting that it should be done immediately but in future MCX updates?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Arno...

Will you be adding a conversion option for the Metallic Map (much like the Normal Map conversion within MCX), such as the options of adding stand-alone or separate maps to be mapped into the Metallic Map, since it is made up of 3 separate maps (Smoothness Map, AO Map, and Metallic Map). I'm not suggesting that it should be done immediately but in future MCX updates?

I guess that can be done in the future, but I have no idea yet of the workflow involved at the moment.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I guess that can be done in the future, but I have no idea yet of the workflow involved at the moment.

Not sure what you mean by workflow in this case. The workflow would be the user or texture creator, would create the 3 textures or maps outside of MCX (Photoshop, GIMP, or whatever). Then bringing those maps into MCX to convert it into a Metallic Map, placing the 3 in there designated channels.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I see what you mean. Taking the first channel from 3 different textures and combining them it not so hard to implement.

But this is probably also something that is easy to do in the graphics editor itself. Fro the bump map the operations were a bit more complex.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Actually... its not the first channel of the 3 (Metallic, AO, & Smoothness), Maps, at least how I understand it, it's the whole map of each. Each designated into each of the channels of the Metallic Map: R = Metallic, G = Occlusion (AO), B = Empty, A = Smoothness.

Just a side note: The Albedo Map- Alpha Channel also contains the Smoothness Map. This was the reasoning that I suggested 2 additional slots (Albedo, along with the Diffuse and Normal, along with Bump). Looking at the F-16 base aircraft textures has a Bump map as well as a Normal map and albedo and diffuse map. So I think it's a matter of which livery or graphic settings used. I haven't fully looked at as of yet.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You can't put an entire texture in one channel, so it has to be one channel from the source image. For things like matallic, occlusion or smoothness one channel is sufficient. It doesn't need color information or so, it is just the level of that property that needs to be stored.

The PBR material has an option to specify where the smoothness is stored, it can be in the albedo alpha or in the metallic alpha. So it's one of the two.

Country
unitedstates
From the P3D SDK documentation: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/LearningCenter.php

"The paths in the documentation and some tools will only be correct if the SDK is installed to the default folder. If the SDK is installed to a non-default folder, be aware that some documented paths may not be correct, and run the tool ConfigSDK.exe (in the SDK folder) to update the paths of a number of the configuration tools to the correct folder. Before running ConfigSDK.exe make sure to run Prepar3D.exe at least once first (as the tool requires certain registry entries to be present), and that the Prepar3D runtime has been installed to the same computer."

Question: If I'm installing (say) the SDK for P3D 1.4, but I don't have P3D 1.4, (I have FSX Steam and P3D 4.5) then how do I run P3D.exe once for the registry entries to be present as stated above? Do I run my P3D (4.5) and it will do the same?
I have run ConfigSDK.exe, but still having issues, (posted elsewhere).

Thanks,

TB2

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Since you have previously installed P3Dv4.5 and launched it, P3D has already written anything required by ConfigSDK.exe into the Windows Registry and system folder chain(s).

So, AFAIK, all you need to do is manually run ConfigSDK.exe for P3Dv1.4x version of the SDK after it has been installed,

If that does not work, then simply un-install, then re-install it from the downloaded Prepar3D_SDK_1.4.4747.0.exe file.

win-7_p3dv14x_lockheed-martin_ctlpnl_programs_and_-features_entry-jpg.51143

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2601726

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028054/windows-10-repair-or-remove-programs

Then just manually run ConfigSDK.exe (for P3Dv1.4x version of the SDK) ...after it has been re-installed.

PS: This inquiry might best be posted here: :pushpin:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/sdk-installation.111/

...after reading this thread: ;)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/read-first-fsx-sdk-installation-all-versions.8285/

GaryGB

Attachments

• Win-7_P3Dv14x_Lockheed-Martin_CtlPnl_Programs_and_-Features_Entry.jpg
    Win-7_P3Dv14x_Lockheed-Martin_CtlPnl_Programs_and_-Features_Entry.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Hello:

Since you have previously installed P3Dv4.5 and launched it, P3D has already written anything required by ConfigSDK.exe into the Windows Registry and system folder chain(s).

So, AFAIK, all you need to do is manually run ConfigSDK.exe for P3Dv1.4x version of the SDK after it has been installed,

If that does not work, then simply un-install, then re-install it from the downloaded Prepar3D_SDK_1.4.4747.0.exe file.

PS: This inquiry might best be posted here: :pushpin:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/sdk-installation.111/

...after reading this thread: ;)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/read-first-fsx-sdk-installation-all-versions.8285/

GaryGB

I have no problems if this part of the thread is moved to the proper place. If necessary, I'll start again there, just let me know.

Followed the above plan, no joy. Still have same issues. (My background comes from > 30 years of computer and software knowledge, so I'm not unfamiliar with the "wash / rinse / repeat" part of troubleshooting. LOL!)

TB2

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Gary,

Its not neccessary in this case to use the ConfigSDK.exe. The P3D v4.5 executable searches for its counter part or SDK version. Installing the SDK is placed in the registry as well. Furthermore, the P3D SDK v4.5 is working correctly based on what TB has said.

I will continue at the other thread. Give me some time to look at the error once I get home.

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-feature-needed-in-mcx-plz.444210/post-827665

Question: If I'm installing (say) the SDK for P3D 1.4, but I don't have P3D 1.4, (I have FSX Steam and P3D 4.5) then how do I run P3D.exe once for the registry entries to be present as stated above? Do I run my P3D (4.5) and it will do the same?
I have run ConfigSDK.exe, but still having issues, (posted elsewhere).

Thanks,

TB2

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-feature-needed-in-mcx-plz.444210/post-827699

Gary,

Its not neccessary in this case to use the ConfigSDK.exe. The P3D v4.5 executable searches for its counter part or SDK version. Installing the SDK is placed in the registry as well. Furthermore, the P3D SDK v4.5 is working correctly based on what TB has said.

I will continue at the other thread. Give me some time to look at the error once I get home.

Indeed, if MCX and/or ADE are able to auto-detect the path to both P3D SDK versions, those SDK versions may be configured adequately.

Interested readers may wish to refer to "the other thread" on this (sub-)topic ...here::pushpin:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/problem-with-hanger-model.445884/

Perhaps the issues reported there will be resolved after troubleshooting configuration of Blender2FSXP3D Toolset. ;)

BTW: I do not yet understand what the benefit is to use Blender2FSXP3D Toolset to output target FS SDK version MDLs ...instead of: :scratchch

* Using Blender to create / export a 3D model file which properly stores / conveys desired Material attributes to be rendered in FSX / P3D

* Importing that 3D model file output by Blender into MCX to configure desired Material attributes intended to be rendered in FSX / P3D

* Exporting that 3D model from MCX via a target FS SDK version MDL format required to display desired Material attributes in FSX / P3D

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hello to everyone who reads this!

I recently got back into PBR Materials again using MCX. Looking through default airplanes in P3d v4.4/5 I checked the PBR attributes in the Material Editor and the textures for Metallic, Normal and Diffuse map.
After trying it on a custom model with very similar attributes and applied maps and placing it via the Placement Wizard in MCX as P3D v4.4 bgl file, the object doesn't appear at the entered position!

Here are some screenshots and files for you to check....

Attachments

• Screenshot (483).png
    Screenshot (483).png
    26 KB · Views: 292
  • Screenshot (484).png
    Screenshot (484).png
    41.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Screenshot (485).png
    Screenshot (485).png
    30.8 KB · Views: 293
  • MCX PBR test.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 286

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello

I don't believe that the screenshots, as well as the metallic map, help in determining the cause or reason that the placement wizard in MCX didn't work (not being placed at the proper location). You referenced that you are using similar attributes of an aircraft, but the test file only contained the metallic map of a ground poly.

What airport is this for? Might be best if you gave us detailed information on what you did with the placement wizard in MCX. Was the GP made into a model prior to putting it through the placement wizard?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello!

Thank you for your reply first of all.. The airfield I'm working on is EDBP. Before using PBR materials applied in MCX I only tried placing the object without any additional maps - just the Diffuse Map. The object appeared right away that time ( 53.616269901 , 11.561720119 ). I only use MCX for applying the PBR materials and then export it as a .mdl file to place it via SODE.

I hope this helped you,

Norvin

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Could it be you have a missing texture file or so? That can cause objects to not show up.

Country
unitedkingdom
All the textures are in the texture folder of the scenery. I do know that this causes objects not to show up. If you look at the screenshot on my first post ( screenshot (485) ), the metallic map isn't even loaded correctly, even though the file is getting export as it should ( check the MCX PBT test.zip file ).
Could that be an issue?

Norvin.