• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 texture creation

Country
us-california
Hello,
I've been working with MCX in placing a ground poly on the tarmac. I create the textures using Adobe Elements. These textures work well, but appear as if they are on a sheet of glass. They reflect the sun very well. Could someone give me a direction to determine what can be done to reduce the reflectivity/specularity in MCX and P3D v4. I'm really looking for tutorials. I see that MCX has a Texture converter. It seems that it will allow you to select your transparent color. I tried this. It created a texture that appeared to be what I was looking for (white lines on a transparent surface) as if you were painting lines on the tarmac. It didn't work. Is there a tutorial for the feature of MCX?

MS_Hover_Practice.jpg
This is my test texture. it's 140'x140'. I tried to make the black transparent.

Thanks
Mark

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
This deals in part with secular shine

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/object-reflections-adding-shadows.442609/#post-797190

However,
If you are making a ground poly that is "painted" on to the Tarmacadam for Flight Sim you dont need MCX for that. If you are creating your airport and adding a heli ground marker you simply create the graphic in elements, save it as a 24 bit BMP. Then using BMPDTX you open the same BMP file and save a separate copy of the graphic as a dtx file.

You then place the DTX file in the TEXTURES folder in ADE and the BMP file in the TEXTURES_DPY folder. In the same area as the folders you will find a text file named TEXTURE_Def_Base. In here you have to place the name of the file I.e. gp_Heli_Ground _Marker|20F|20F|20F|true

When you want to place your heli marker you just use the custom ground poly to do it AND its there for uses in other projects or multi locations in the same airport