• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3Dv4.5 Floating GP in SAWH Ushuaia

Country
argentina
Hello forum

My GPs are floating about 5ft in the air, as per the screenshot. I've already made sure that my airport background flatten matches the elevation, and my runway also matches the same elevation.
I also tried moving the ARP reference point, but still the same result.

The only solution was to not draw any GPs North of the GA apron, which also means the main apron can't have any GPs either, so will be missing a lot of detail on the ramp.

Any other ideas? I'm using the latest development version of ADE with the latest GP dll downloaded from here in the forums. This was also happening with the older full release version of ADE as well (v1.76)

I'm reaching my limit on this and running out of ideas. Hate to give up on this project this far in.

Regards
2021-9-29_12-30-5-364.jpg

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
You seem to have eliminated the usual suspects. Please post your .ad4 file or send it to me via e-mal at don at stuff4fs dot com.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Did you try compiling using a local elevation, instead of the ARP? It's one of the choices in the pop up box as you compile the airport. (This assumes this option is available for P3D, I don't know that.)

Country
argentina
Hi guys

Don, email sent.

Don't know if it is relevant, but I do have the ORBX line of products for this area of the world. Vector, Global, and Landclass for South America. I've also disabled the global SAWH airport files from ORBX, except their ABP file, which I excluded in the ADE file I created.

Thanks for the help guys

Regards

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I received your .ad4 file. But, you use a large number of custom GP textures. In order to compile and test your file, I also need your Textures and Textures_Dpy folders and your textues_def.txt and Lines_Def.txt files.

Duplicate ORBX airports often cause difficulties, especially if your ORBX priority is higher than your custom airport priority. If possible, please disable your ORBX functions and retest before sending the the requested files

Country
argentina
So after loosing what little hair I have left, I finally just raised the elevation of the airport and ABP to match the floating height of the markings, about 1.35m. Not the best solution, but I simply could not find the problem that was making the GPs not lay above the ground. I did not have any conflicting files, and I tried the airport with and without the ORBX addons.

Anyway, now the markings sit perfectly above the ground. On to the next problem with SAWH, which I will post in the terrain forum since I think it will be more appropriate.

Regards

Attachments

• SAWH Now.jpg
    SAWH Now.jpg
    896.1 KB · Views: 56

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
SInce you were using P3D GPs, P3D must have "thought" the terrain elevation was higher than displayed. I'd be inclined to look for conflicting terrain elevations, e.g., ORBX vs P3D.

But, whatever works .....

Country
argentina
SInce you were using P3D GPs, P3D must have "thought" the terrain elevation was higher than displayed. I'd be inclined to look for conflicting terrain elevations, e.g., ORBX vs P3D.

But, whatever works .....
Yeah, did all that. Disabled all ORBX stuff but still no change. Weird it only manifested itself on GPs. AI, and all other visual elements where fine. Really curious what could cause that, but glad to be past it. Tried so many different things to fix it, all the sim restarts took forever and very time consuming.

Country
argentina
And I tried both P3D and FS8 style GPs, both would float the same. I prefer FS8 style GPs, P3D ones seem a bit unrealistic in color, some are too bright compared to others.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Did you consider that the GPs might be in the correct position, but the rest was too low? I'm serious.

Since you tried FS8-style GPs, you should know that these are true ground-polys. They are drawn at what FS "thinks" is the terrain elevation. ADE_GP does not control elevation with FS8-style GPs.

Country
argentina
Did you consider that the GPs might be in the correct position, but the rest was too low? I'm serious.

Since you tried FS8-style GPs, you should know that these are true ground-polys. They are drawn at what FS "thinks" is the terrain elevation. ADE_GP does not control elevation with FS8-style GPs.
Well, the elevation I set in ADE was 25m, which was the same as the runway and also the ABP flatten. But the GPs where 1.35m floating above that. I confirmed that using the CH+ 9m tool, which I used to eyeball approx 1.4-ish meters.

So I changed the elevations up 1.4m, and that made the GPs invisible except for some really steep angles. I bracketed down the elevations until I found the seeet spot at 26.35m (1.35m higher than I had set).

So I think the elevation of the GPs is the problem. They are constricted by something, don’t know what it might be, and won’t display at another height other than 26.35.

Lots of this stuff is PFM to me, just glad I can move past this issue.