P3D v4 P3Dv4.5_Airport Beacon lights the ground

The rotating "civilian" beacon available with ADE no longer casts the light horizontally to the ground but rather illuminates (and rotates) the ground in approx. a 50+ foot radius and the light washes out everything it sweeps across.
Have attached 2 pics and am at a loss as to how to correct.
This begins to appear with P3Dv4.5
Any and all insight/suggestions/etc. are greatly appreciated.
Lemon

Attachments

=rk=

Resource contributor
It seems like more background is necessary. ADE does not include the beacon, it simply identifies the beacon included with your software, which is to say that ADE did not change this condition. So, presumably, you are editing an airport with ADE, is this correct? Can you say what status this is, what versions you are using? Is there a possible compatibility issue, are these aftermarket sceneries, or default, etc.

It seems like more background is necessary. ADE does not include the beacon, it simply identifies the beacon included with your software, which is to say that ADE did not change this condition. So, presumably, you are editing an airport with ADE, is this correct? Can you say what status this is, what versions you are using? Is there a possible compatibility issue, are these aftermarket sceneries, or default, etc.
This ONLY occurs with Dynamic Lighting enabled and ONLY appears as such starting in P3Dv4.5.
This happens to all "STOCK" airports with a beacon.
The pics I provided are from KAUS and KEDC. Both of these airports have been reworked to include and reflect their "current" actual design but both are based on the original "Stock".
There are NO aftermarket sceneries.
Yes, all editing is via ADE's latest release (not using the currently "available for test") development release.
Attached, is the rotating beacon from the 100%, untouched, STOCK, San Marcos municipal KHYI. Same effect as described in my original post.
I certainly believe this is as a result of the changes in P3Dv4.5 relative to lighting. Therefore, if I knew where the "rotating beacon", which ADE points to and uses is located, the object could be reworked to correct this situation.
Could you possible tell me where the "beacon" that is included with P3Dv4.5 is located, please?
Again, many thanks for the reply, questions and I value any and all suggestions.

Attachments

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Beacons are not located anywhere. They are created using XML code. This does not seem to have changed in the current version based on the SDK

1560087745819.png

They can also be added using an attachpoint to an object such as a control tower

1560088017832.png

As I recall we have not implemented attachpoints in ADE. However it seems that the current P3Dv4.5 engine is rendering the beacon code in a different way than before.

Beacons are not located anywhere. They are created using XML code. This does not seem to have changed in the current version based on the SDK

View attachment 49909

They can also be added using an attachpoint to an object such as a control tower

View attachment 49910

As I recall we have not implemented attachpoints in ADE. However it seems that the current P3Dv4.5 engine is rendering the beacon code in a different way than before.
Jon, MANY thanks. Yes, the rendering changed in v4.5. I have had great success with static lighting using MCX in P3Dv4.5 but I have not a clue as to how to enable "rotation" as you have done
with the ADE "beacon" (and its certainly not clear to this XML idiot, how its pulled off in your attached code)...but then as I said...XML idiot here.

Again, many thanks for the insight!

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

The XML code only specifies the type of light that is displayed, it does not create them. The actual objects (including LOD models) and the rotation animation are hard coded in the sim. Nothing you can do to change those.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Tom beat me to it :)

There are some other scenery elements such as generic buildings and windsocks that are created in the same way. The sim engine does most of the work based on the limited instructions provided by the XML source code

Hi,

The XML code only specifies the type of light that is displayed, it does not create them. The actual objects (including LOD models) and the rotation animation are hard coded in the sim. Nothing you can do to change those.
Many thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to educate!
Lemon

Hi,

Many thanks, I really
Tom beat me to it :)

There are some other scenery elements such as generic buildings and windsocks that are created in the same way. The sim engine does most of the work based on the limited instructions provided by the XML source code
Jon, I more ? and I will go away...maybe screaming into the night :)
How did you know to call the attachpt_beacon object?
Is this and other objects that are "hard coded", documented anyplace (I would guess the SDK, but I am totally shooting from the hip).
Thanks very much to both you and Tom, I appreciate it very much.
Cheers
Lemon

tgibson

Resource contributor
Yes, the SDK. Here is an example of the XML from the FS2004 SDK:

Beacon
This element is used to add a beacon to the scene. Beacons can be added as stand-alone objects, but are usually added as objects attached to control towers. This element is not allowed to contain other data and must be terminated with ‘/>’.

<Beacon
type=”CIVILIAN”
baseType=”AIRPORT” />

Attribute: Description: Acceptable Values

type : Type of beacon: CIVILIAN, MILITARY
baseType : Type of facility: AIRPORT, SEA_BASE, HELIPORT

Hope this helps,