• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3Dv5 Dynamic spotlights issue

Country
france
Hi dyn lights gurus,

trying to install an airfield to P3DV5, I face a strange issue. The dynamic spotlights works well on all 3D and GP but resampled background is "burn". Here is the result:

Of course same files in V4 works well. I don't know if the bug is on LM side or if do not handle dynamic lights like I should.
Does anyone have an idea about that ?

Thanks
ANFS_003.jpg

ALain

Last edited:

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi ALain!

Since the P3Dv5 there are two new parameters in the effects files (.fx). The new parameters determine the intensity of the light, i.e. how strongly the light should act on PBR material. There is a corresponding contribution here: Prepar3D v5 effects photoscenery issue...

If I have correctly understood the documentation in the P3Dv5 SDK for these two parameters, this will only have an impact if the object/GP contains PBR material PBR:

Light N tab

Day
Red, Green, Blue, Scale
The day time color of a light. Use the color dialog, or input the values directly. The Scale value here applies to only non-PBR surfaces, a value of 0 will disable light. 128 is equal to an intensity of 1. Lower than 128 is scaled to an intensity of 0. 255 is equal to an intensity of 50.
Night
Red, Green, Blue, Scale
The night time color of a light. Use the color dialog, or input the values directly. The Scale value here applies to only non-PBR surfaces, a value of 0 will disable light. 128 is equal to an intensity of 1. Lower than 128 is scaled to an intensity of 0. 255 is equal to an intensity of 50.

Day
Intensity
The day brightness of the light in lumens, a value of 0 will disable light. Only applies to PBR surfaces.
Night
Intensity
The night brightness of the light in lumens, a value of 0 will disable light. Only applies to PBR surfaces.

In the meantime I have switched a large part of my projects to PBR. In combination with these new dynamic PBR lights, it looks like this:

p3dv5_pbr_dyn_light_hengesen.jpg

Country
france
Hi Christian and thank you
I already searched and read your post.
But neither the resample nor the GP have PBR
That's why I'm stuck for now, I see no change

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Then maybe it's a texture problem rather than a lighting problem?
Perhaps the texture assigned to the ground polygon has an alpha channel that is completely white and causes this glaring effect.

Country
france
I dont' think so. Lighting of the tarmac (groundpoly) is exactly the same for V4 and 5 and is correct.
Only the resampled area is over lighted. It is just a basic photo texture (day and night layers) compiled with V5 resample.
It seems like nobody run dynamic spotlights over photoscenery !!
I'm surprised. Will ask LM if nobody experienced this issue.
Thanks

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
It seems like nobody run dynamic spotlights over photoscenery !!
Yes, there are several projects where this is the case. The Seneries consist of a groundpoly-layout mixed with photoscenery. The sceneries were created for P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 respectively. But the glaring effect you showed is not there.
Perhaps it is because different FX files illuminate the photoscenery for the P3Dv4 and the p3Dv5?

Mülheim
Bottenhorn

I have been seeing similar over lighting issue with dynamic lights and there seems to be two issues at play here, one is the p3d engine seems to over brighten some lights sometimes which only LM can fix. The other which we can is that counter to what is understood it seems the values defined in fx file of the light cone angles are actually for half of what would be a cone angle. So putting an outer cone angle of 90 is actually producing a 180 degree of light cone and needs to be set 45 to have a 90 cone angle of light in the sim.