Paid Training/Assistance

Hi there,

So, after a long search through things, and becoming very very impatient and losing hope in some developers. I thought to myself, screw things, I'll try do something about it.

Anyway, first off, if this is posted in the wrong section, can an admin please move it.

What I'm looking for:
- Someone to provide me with some assistance and training in developing aircraft systems, from start to hopefully and advanced level.
- Assistance with finding and location the tools.
- Basically what I want is for someone to assist me with getting what I need in terms of tools and some knowledge as to where to start in developing an aircraft.

I am thinking of either offering a one off fee, or an hourly rate depending on the level of the developer.

Anyway, please PM me with your details and maybe a small portfolio I could have a look at.

Thanks in Advance,
Dorien

ddawson

Resource contributor
Dorien,

Don't try to take on an entire aircraft project all at once.
If you want to do systems, start learning basic gauge programming.
If you want to build a better visual model, forget about systems and flight dynamic for the short term.
If you try to do it all at once, it will be years before you get any results you are happy with, which I expect would be very frustrating.

Doug

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. Well the plan was to get some training, and work in pieces.

As you've mentioned Doug, what you've advised is exactly the plan. I have an idea in my mind what I want to produce, and a plan for it, and basically where I am now, is in a position where I need some assistance, I can plan and plan and plan as much as I like, but now is time for action.

If the work is good, I don't mind paying for it. I do mind paying for junk, if you know what I mean.

Heretic

Resource contributor
These are my "Developing for MSFS" basics:

- Bring time. A lot of time. Get a divorce and sell your kids if necessary. That much time.
- Almost all developers are self-taught. It's not going to be different for anyone else.
- This is your new bible: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526948.aspx
- MSFS isn't new. If you want to know something, google before you ask. Much faster to boot.
- Start small. Make repaints or enhancements for existing add-ons, make a scenery before you attempt an aircraft.
- When doing gauges, start with XML. Existing gauges can be decompiled easily and provide adequate inspiration.
- If you want to do PMDG-level stuff, you need a team, industry contacts for reference material and years of experience.
- You will inevitably run into walls. Get used to it and find a way around them.
- There is no single way to get to your goal. MSFS allows a for quite a bit of liberty in terms of code design.
- Blueprints lie. Photos don't.
- "Artistic license" is your new best friend. Unless your best friend is the chief designer of the real thing.
- If you publish, you're going to love and hate your customers over time. With a tendency towards hate.

Did I miss anything?

ddawson

Resource contributor
Dorien,

You might want to look here: http://www.fs2x.com/Tutorials.htm
It contains some useful stuff on getting started with XML.
You can also download this: www.douglassdawson.ca/files/xmlgau01.zip It's not my file, it was put together by a fellow by the name of Arne Bartels, who has since retired from FS development. It is quite dry, but does have a lot of useful information on XML syntax.
Heretic suggested starting small. This is important. XML gauges, if they contain syntax errors, will simply not load on the panel. No warnings, no error messages, nothing. Just no gauge. If you have to wade through 100 lines of code to try to figure out why, you will be very quickly inventing new curse words.
Don't be afraid to try stuff (see Heretic's first two points.) You're always welcome to post questions on forums like this one, but it always goes better if you post the block of code you're having trouble with, so try first, then ask for help.
If you don't already have it, buy FSPanelStudio: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FSP-ESD-001
Given that you indicated a willingness to pay for instruction, you might want to investigate introductory programming courses at a local secondary school or college. The benefit of this approach would be a qualified instructor and something that you could put on a resumé if it suited. You would of course not get much that was directly related to FS add-ons, but understanding the basics of programming will certainly prove useful in the long run.

Doug, thanks for that. Very helpful! I just grabbed that, and already started on learning about programming, choose Python as the goto language. Seeing as it's used in both FSX/P3D and X-Plane. Thansk for those files and links, as I've just grabbed those as well to get started.

Thanks Heretic and DDawson

I am embarking on this road to build a craft. I intend to be jack of all trades, flight model/aerodynamics, 3D modelling, gauge programming etc.

At this stage the intent is to bounce from one to the other whenever I get sick of the aspect I’m working on.

I have a question though. What RESOURCES and TOOLS does one need?

I hear a lot of talk about ‘blueprints’. Could you expand on this... does this entail dimensions of not only the fuselage and wings, but instruments (in the VC) and their relative positions? Does it encompass, say, nose landing gear lengths etc?

Also, with respect to the tools required, I understand from a weeks worth of reading that something like Visual Studio is used for coding, and something like Blender/3dsmax is used to model the plane and the gauges etc.

Things I have are: i work on airliners, and have a good understanding of the way a plane is built, its dimensions etc. But this counts for nothing if I can’t convert it to software. I also don’t have kids or a girlfriend at the moment and my job permits quite a lot of time off (I’m fortunate this way), so I really don’t care that this could take 10years to accomplish. I’m not serious about this, it’s not going to be paying my bills, and it’s intended to become a long term ‘project’.

Things I don’t have: coding!!! I wish I learnt earlier in life as this world is now software driven. C++ and XML are the languages to be learnt. Ok, challenge accepted.

I would love to see an infographic showing what exactly it takes to put a PMDG level plane together. At a guess I believe it to be these? :
- external 3D model - the fuselage, wings, stabs, landing gear etc. Created with Blender/3DSMAX or similar.
- internal 3D model/Virtual cockpit - cockpit geometry and instrument panels, seats etc. Created with Blender/3DSMAX or similar.
- Gauge programming - self explanatory but I don’t know how you’d bring a gauge designed in blender to life, using visual studios in c++? What is XML programmed with/in?
- aerodynamics/flight model - I suspect this coded in XML AND c++, again, I don’t know if and how it is supposed to interact with the 3D model.

Last edited:
maybe it can do with simple thing for several at once. i.e. build and airspeed gauge.
you'll got, modeling, texturing, animating, compiling and gauge code (if you work in custom C++ or XML code).
good choice if you ask someone to assist you, remove all "try and error" stuff.

Heretic

Resource contributor
I would love to see an infographic showing what exactly it takes to put a PMDG level plane together.
Easy, kid. You can't even walk and yet you want a map for the route to the summit of the K2.

The best blueprint are other aircraft, free or payware. Analyze them and you'll find your anwers.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Heretic is right, look at what's on the shelf currently. Investigate good practice. Note how assists are created, look at the tools used, remember a simple addition to a current panel display can take 3 packages just to get a simple switch to turn on/off a logo light and that doesn't include creating a fx file. The learning curve is steep. Getting you head around xml, graphics paint package plus the likes of blender/sketch up and then the panel config takes time and practice. If it that easy we simmers would have a Boeing grade flight sim with graphics that the producers of black ops would be begging for

If what I was endeavoring to build was on the shelf to an adequate level of complexity I guarantee i wouldn't be embarking on this road :)

I really don't think its a stupid thing to ask for a road map or infographic, as I believe an airplane would carry key components.

Seems i've wasted my time coming here. All i've attracted is lectures and generic guidance