• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

PAPI Lighting Tutorial

Country
unitedstates
Greetings,

Based on what I've learned here at FSDeveloper.com and using that for my first scenery, I have put together a small (ok, not so small...) tutorial for Creating a PAPI light system. It references the steps from the start, the GMAX model to the end, the point of placement, and centers the process around the use of Separation Planes to create functional lights.

If you see anything that needs to be added or corrected, feel free to post here.

I post the PDF file here but the tutorial will also appear in Wiki as soon I figure the best way to post it there (I'm new there as well....:rolleyes: )

Good luck and I hope this tutorial will help you as much as the people here at FsDeveloper have helped me! Thanks for the review, Arno!

Attachments

• PAPI-4 Tutorial.pdf
    785.8 KB · Views: 7,074

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll put the tutorial on the Wiki. So it should appear their soon as well.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I tried to do a quick copy-paste onto the Wiki, but due to the layout with multiple columns in some sections that did not really work. I'll need a little more time to make sure the layout stays OK. So that means it should be on the Wiki somewhere this weekend.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I made a start with putting it on the Wiki. I still have some trouble in getting the images uploaded and their thumbnails showing. I'll let you know once that is fixed.

Also I think it would be a good idea to add some headers in the text to make reading a little easier.

Country
unitedstates
Are you still working on adding the images to the tutorial ? I was going to go thru and add some headings for better readability....

Can we just add a link to the PDF tutorial? I see the WIki for Creating Night Textures does this....given that the PDF version has all of the graphics in place and has colored text for reference, it may be easier.

You know the Wiki system better than I do so I'll leave that up to you. :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

We could like to the PDF, but I would prefer to have the text on the Wiki. That means that people could help in improving the tutorial even further by adding new pieces.

I need to check with the webhost to see why I get an error on the thumbnails of the images. It looks like they changed a setting on the server or so.

Country
us-florida
Calculation

Morning, first of all thanks for this tutorial. But I have a problem.
I haven't taken trigonometry. And would like know how to calculate the numbers? Meaning, what numbers get multipled by what, divided by what, added, subtracted, ect. I would like see a brake down.
Thanks Mike

Country
unitedstates
I'm not sure what you mean by "what numbers get multipled by what, divided by what"...are you looking at the PDF version or the Wiki version. The PDF shows the calculations and which numbers go in what locations, etc...see the second post above for the PDF.

Country
unitedstates
Look at the PDF version of the tutorial. Don't use the Wiki version right now until the image issues are fixed. Arno is working on it but the PDF version should be usable the way it is.

In any calculation, find the SIN or COS of the angle first before you do any adding or subtracting or multiplying or dividing.

To find the sin of an angle, enter the angle and press SIN and then do your next steps. Same with COS.

Simple trig lesson.
Sine (SIN) of an angle is equal to the length of the leg of the triangle directly opposite the angle you are working with divided by the hypotenuse (the longest leg).
Cosine (COS) of an angle is equal to the length of the leg of the triangle immediately adjacent to the angle you are working with divided by the hypotenuse (the longest leg).

For example,
SIN 78 (deg) = X / 32768.

Find X. Press 7 press 8, press SIN and then X for multiply and then enter 32768, press EQUALS. That will give you X.

Country
belgium
Hi,

You can use the online (free) Calculator Mortgage Math (search via Google: "online calculator") and use the scientific calculator (the third one). Set the calculator on DEG for these maths.
As discribed: introduce first the number(s) before clicking on SIN or COS. Then multiply "x" followed by the other value.

Greetz. José.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Windows also has a calculator included (with scientific mode), so no need to search for one online :).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Still working on the images at the Wiki, I have contacted the webhost as it seems they have changed a setting recently, which gives trouble with the thumbnails.

Country
unitedstates
No thanks required. I wrote it as THANKS! to the developers here who helped me. Glad it helped! :D

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi

Great tutorial, Is there anyway to make the lights show further from the airport? They seem to fade pretty quick.

I also think the X and Y are the wrong way round in the tutorial, unless I've understood wrong.

Early in the tutorial you say;

SEPARATION_PLANE nolgt_2, <X component>, <Z component>, <Y component>, <vector>

But later in the final X, Y calculations you've have the X & Y calc the wrong way round

eg:

sin (78) x 1429 = Y,
1398 = Y

I think it should be

sin (78) x 1429 = X,
1398 = X

and the same for the Cos

cos (78) x 1429 = X
297 = X

should be

cos (78) x 1429 = Y
297 = Y

I think the other final calculations are the wrong way also.

It took me a few hours head scratching to figure out why it didnt work, and it was as simple as have the X in the Y and the Y in the X.

Stevo ;)

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi

A slightly different question to I posted above.

The PAPI lights I made from the tutorial work great. At night and you can see the lights from about 6 miles away, but during the day they disappear just short of 2 miles which is not much use, is it something I've done wrong or is this known about?

Cheers
Stevo ;)