• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

PAPI SeparationPlane Limits

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Jeffrey

Is there a limit to how far out the separation plane is calculated? I'm well within the 12km radius and my PAPIs have decided to go completely red (when slewing away from them) even though they were completely white moments prior. This is further tested by going vertically upward once they are all red and observing that they remain red (when they should be white). The limit I am seeing seems to be between 3-4nm as during a test flight I was well on the glide path before they suddenly changed from all red to 2x red and 2x white as expected.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Jeffrey

Understand you're probably busy, but is there is any feedback on the above?

Thanks

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Gareth

Thanks for responding but I'm not sure what the links are for? As a pilot I'm aware of how PAPI units work if you posted the links to help me understand them better. The issue is more that the PAPIs used with SODE's separation plane are all red, no matter your height above the glidepath, at 5nm out which is not correct.

Last edited:

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK didn't see references in the post to your using SODA but noted it in the forum name .

Country
switzerland
Hi!

Are we talking about FSX? In that sim, the update of the object's (visual) state is depending on the bounding box/model radius. This limitation doesn't seem to exist in P3D.
Also animations are affected if you are too far away from the object, they just stop visually, while the internal variables are still being updated in the background.

To fix this, you can enlarge the model radius to a large value in ModelConverterX's "MDLTweaker", that's the easiest way.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Jeffrey

Thanks for your reply. I'll give the model radius a go as I suspect that's likely the cause.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Jeffrey

I tried making the bounding box bigger by adding a plane to the model of 50000x50000. This did nothing to help.

I then altered the white light with MDL Tweaker and this caused the white light to never show, even right up close.

There are LODs associated with the lights themselves but I've removed them to rule it out and the issue persists.

EDIT: I exported the red light with the HIDE flag enabled (instead of the display flag) and found that within the 5nm "limit" the light turns white/red as expected. However, outside of the limit where I've been getting the issue, the light simply disappears. It's almost like the hide/display flags fail to work outside of this limit, as I would expect that a light with the hide flag would still show regardless of distance away until the hide/display flag change is requested. Also when you are outside of the limit and zoom in, the flags start working again.

EDIT 2: Ok it looks like LODs are the issue. The bounding box solves the issue only when there are no LODs; once they are introduced the model is always stuck at the smallest size and the flags no longer work once the LOD changes. This is even with the model exported with the dummy anim. I've had to remove the LODs completely from the PAPIs and they now work fine except they are quite large when right up close. Compromise I suppose. MIPMAPs are still working so that helps.

Last edited: