FS2004 Parts not showing as they should in the VC

Hi all!

Well, after a "few months break" (yeah, right... real life stuff on the way), my plan is to continue with the Bell 407. Tonight, I took her for a short flight test and I realized that I overlooked something in the VC: Altough the offending parts are modeled and "in the right place", they are not being seen in the central console and also in the main panel... unless I pan in!!! If I incrementally pan out, they gradually begin to "disappear". When visible, they look as they should; so I conclude all polygons are not flipped.

As a side note, some parts are aligned with an angle equal to the dashboard and others are aligned horizontally (all are in the same LOD as well). You can see them in the next image:
407_VC_vis_issue_01.jpg

Now, a few images inside the simulator:

"Panning in", parts are visible:
407_vis_issue_Panning_in.jpg

This was taken to show you how they began to "disappear" (take a look at the decal on lower right corner) :
407_vis_issue_Panning_out.jpg

And this last image; when some parts are not being displayed anymore:
407_vis_issue_Full_Pan_out.jpg

I can't remember the exact details on how parts are rendered in the same LOD. Seems to me that a parent part is rendered first than the child parts, are they not? Perhaps this is related to a simple hierarchical problem... :scratchch :scratchch :scratchch :scratchch

I really would appreciate your opinion regarding this minor issue. In advance, thank you kindly!
Sergio.
:wave:

What distance have you given the decals - that's what these "parts" are, isn't it, i.e. single polys? - to float in front of the panel, and are they truly aligned with the slope of the back poly? My guess is they are too close to the panel poly and maybe not properly aligned with it.

What distance have you given the decals to float in front of the panel, and are they truly aligned with the slope of the back poly? My guess is they are too close to the panel poly and maybe not properly aligned with it.
Hello Manfred, 1 mm. I tried to get those further away and the result is the same; I'd say at least 2 mm after the dashboard. Regarding the alignment, I modeled all in a perfect 90° angle, then I linked all parts to the panel polygons, rotate it and all parts considered followed the rotation. Finally, I unlinked all.

For example, the fuel valve is animated and works fine (respecting the new alignment angle). I guess I will verify distances and angles again to see if they are really are parallel to the panel polygons. By the way, I am using the ULE System and all parts are in the same LOD.

Thank you!
Sergio.

Last edited:
Then I'm sure you have something there - even if it's only some stray poly facing away from you - that's obstructing the view. Try exporting the panel alone, and nothing else, and see if the effect persists.

Will do! Although I am almost sure nothing is there; take a look to the Gmax scene where all parts are not hidden:

407_Gmax_LOD.jpg

This arise a new question:
What happens If I have a part and I accidentally delete all polygons? The name part remains but the polygons won't be rendered, Am I right?
I really hope not to have a stray poly looping around...:yikes::yikes::yikes:

I will do what you teached me, Thank you my friend.
Sergio.

Last edited:
Don't know, Sergio, but simple to test.

I realize you are using boxes for the 'decals' ... is that necessary? What if you delete the sides, and, especially the back poly, if it's still there?

I realize you are using boxes for the 'decals' ... is that necessary? What if you delete the sides, and, especially the back poly, if it's still there?
I guess not; and if I can recall, I carefully modeled those parts without polygons on the backside. :confused: