• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS PBR Textures for CUSTOM MATERIALS

Country
unitedstates
Hi all,

In an attempt to expand processes and get away from projected mesh issues (especially in the last couple SDK updates), I'm looking to use the built-in apron feature of the SDK to make some pavement areas. So far, I've only been able to import the base textures via custom materials, but I'm looking to import a full PBR material. Unfortunately, the SDK documentation is not very forthcoming on how to convert standard roughness, normal, height, etc maps to the COMP format MSFS needs. It mentions what channels make up what, but I'm not sure how to actually properly plug them in. I've read through the forum and although there are a lot of concepts and some success stories, I still have not had any luck having the sim read my COMP textures.

Could someone shine some light on how to successfully do this or perhaps an article or tutorial? I have photoshop and substance painter, but happy to use other software need be - WHATEVER IT TAKES! :)

Thanks in advance.

-PEACE FARM

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
To make the COMP you would use either GIMP or Photoshop. Placing the individual maps within their proper channel. Save them as png or jpg files.

With SP you should be saving them out already combine into a COMP file.

Country
unitedstates
To make the COMP you would use either GIMP or Photoshop. Placing the individual maps within their proper channel. Save them as png or jpg files.

With SP you should be saving them out already combine into a COMP file.

Thanks, I managed to understand the general concept, but looking for help as to how to actually do it. In other words, the actual workflow in one of the mentioned programs.

Thanks, I managed to understand the general concept, but looking for help as to how to actually do it. In other words, the actual workflow in one of the mentioned programs.
Same here. I could not find any explanation of how to convert normal, spec and bump maps into COMP

Country
italy
Normal map doesn't go into the comp/orm map

I have a video about pbr workflow with Gimp,
roughly 20 minutes in

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
unitedstates
Normal map doesn't go into the comp/orm map

I have a video about pbr workflow with Gimp,
roughly 20 minutes in

Thanks again for the video, however, it still doesn't explain what I'm looking to do and that is create a COMP map for use with the IN SIM custom material editor (for use with aprons, polygons, etc). I have no problem exporting out PBR via Substance Painter, but that only works for 3D objects and not "custom materials" within the sim.

I'd really appreciate some help in this topic.

Thanks!

Country
italy
Oooopss didn't read your topic carefully!

So, to create apron materials, you Need to
- have a metalness texture map
- have a roughess texture map
- have a normal map

- take the normal map, Decompose It with Gimp
- take any RGBA image or create One in Gimp (when creating an image you can find It in the presets), RGBA stands for Red Green Blue Alpha

Now you have the decomposed normal with 3 layers and the the decomposed RGBA with 4 layers

Using the decomposed RGBA

In the Red layer put the metalness map
In the Green layer put the Red layer from the decomposed normal map
In the Blue layer put the roughess map
In the Alpha layer put the Blue layer from the decomposed normal map

Then compose

All the above halfway into this docs page

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates

- have a normal map

- take any RGBA image or create One in Gimp (when creating an image you can find It in the presets), RGBA stands for Red Green Blue Alpha

Now you have the decomposed normal with 3 layers and the the decomposed RGBA with 4 layers

Then compose

Thanks A LOT for the detailed explanation, Mamu! I will give it a shot this weekend 😃

Country
unitedstates

- have a normal map

Then compose

Hey Mamu, excuse my ignorance with Gimp, but how exactly do I "put" a specific image into a specific layer of the RGBA image? I have here my decomposed blank RGBA image, but sure how to "plug in" into the channels here. Would you mind expanding on that a bit? Thanks!

PS: What format should I export out of Gimp after composing it?

1640829656833.png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
With GIMP, can be little tricky, but it can be done. Check out the GIMP: Creating Ambient Occlusion Map tutorial in the resources section. It is for P3D, but the.process in placing the maps is the same only the the channels would be different.

Country
italy
Hey Mamu, excuse my ignorance with Gimp, but how exactly do I "put" a specific image into a specific layer of the RGBA image? I have here my decomposed blank RGBA image, but sure how to "plug in" into the channels here. Would you mind expanding on that a bit? Thanks!

PS: What format should I export out of Gimp after composing it?

View attachment 79258
Select the layer
Drag and drop your Image into the layer
This Will creare a new layer, right click on the new layer and select merge down
Do for all the layers
Compose (color/component/compose)
Export as png

Will do a more specific tutorial

Country
unitedstates
Select the layer
This Will creare a new layer, right click on the new layer and select merge down
Do for all the layers
Export as png

Thank you, I will try again soon. I appreciate the reply!

Country
sweden
I've found that it's easy to use Imagemagick and the Command prompt/Terminal to build the PBR file if you already have the other parts as separate files.
You simply put them in the same folder and run something like this to combine everything in to one file: convert ao.png rough.png metal.png -combine mynewpbrfile.png

This comes very handy if you need to update the texture, you save a lot of time this way. Combine isn't the only thing you can do, you can also resize, do various batch jobs etc.

Country
unitedstates
I've found that it's easy to use Imagemagick and the Command prompt/Terminal to build the PBR file if you already have the other parts as separate files.
You simply put them in the same folder and run something like this to combine everything in to one file: convert ao.png rough.png metal.png -combine mynewpbrfile.png

This comes very handy if you need to update the texture, you save a lot of time this way. Combine isn't the only thing you can do, you can also resize, do various batch jobs etc.
Thanks, Daniel! I'll be sure to give it a go this week. :)

Country
unitedstates
Select the layer
Do for all the layers
Export as png

Hi Mamu, have you had a chance to do a tutorial on this by chance? I've tried all you suggested above, but I'm obviously not doing something correctly as I my COMP (for MATERIALS (like aprons, etc) ) are not working.

Thank you!

Country
italy
Hi Mamu, have you had a chance to do a tutorial on this by chance? I've tried all you suggested above, but I'm obviously not doing something correctly as I my COMP (for MATERIALS (like aprons, etc) ) are not working.

Thank you!
hope you enjoy!!