• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Percentages of tree types

Country
spain
Hello, Arno. I'm doing vegetation autogen from several sources, which are free to use in my country. One of them is a very detailed forestry map which database contains the type of tree and its percentage of coverage for each polygon. I'm wonder if this can be included in Scenproc as well. I'm thinking about a new parameter for CreateAGNRectVeg and CreateAGNPolyVeg steps that allows the user to specify the percentages for each of the GUIDs used for the vegetation group. If the percentages aren't specified, the step will select randomly between them, as usual. That way the mix of species can be more precise and the realism in the rendering will increase. For example, let's say I have a polygon with 80% of pure oak and 20% of pure pine. Could it be possible to write (The GUIDs are fictional):

CreateAGNRectVeg||{c9dc45ae-f240-42a9-a137-b7617452a308};{f707c26e-32ed-4f15-85a2-81c5bc9f8b32}|80;20

Or something similar?

Thanks beforehand

Luis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Luis,

Would it not make more sense to tune the autogen configuration so that you have the right mixture in there?

Odbe polygon can only have one guid and thus never has a mixture of different guids.

When you provide multiple guids scenproc will choose between them. It does that randomly. To have one guid more frequent you would have to put it in the list multiple times.

Country
spain
Hi, Arno. Ok, so, if I correctly understood, according P3D SDK, each polygon can only have one GUID, and Scenproc randomly select one GUID from the list specified in the step to apply it to one of the polygons that match the filter, Ok?. In this case, it's my error because I thought that the GUIDs can be mixed in the same polygon. So, as you said, the only way to mix the species into one polygon is to make a new autogen configuration. The problem here is the huge amount of autogen configurations needed to match the percentages, the species and their possible combinations (I'm talking about more than 170 species with 10 levels of percentage each).

Another idea to achieve the mix could be the use of two passes of the ReplacePolygonByVegetationRectangles for the same polygon, one with the GUID of the primary species and the second with the GUID of the secondary one, but I don't know how to cover the required percentage of the polygon with just the values of tree size and overlap. What do you think?

Anyway, I'll continue researching. Thanks a lot.

Luis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

What might work best is to place points in the polygons. Then you can use the percentage to assign different tree types to these points. That why you can mix it inside the polygons as well.

Country
spain
Hi, Arno. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll try it to see if its viable with the amount of polygons I'm managing.

Luis