• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA perspective view shows only wire frame

Country
us-washington
As the title says, but click on view then perspective.... all choices are dimmed out.

Trying to help a friend and we found this. I fixed this for others in the past but cannot remember how.

Also- When one gets many warnings or errors while compile.... is there a list of what these error messages mean. Sometimes there are so many. I get them now and then, but projects some others send to me I see this. I can find some... like reversed ploys and such, but it is confusing.

Is there somewhere we can download a list of these or most of these errors messages and what they mean? Bob

Country
us-washington
31 readers... not one has seen this? Hmmmm. Wasn't there an old switch or something for FS9 that allowed us to use a thin line for things like telephone wires, cables, etc? No longer available now but the switch is there somewhere that renders the preview pane like an empty blue frame? If this switch is on this will give this effect and under 'view' perspective props- all items are dimmed out.

Well - found that line trigger. It is in parts when you open primitives, but doing this did not dim out the perspective view items.

Still would like an answer to the other questions.. the dim out and the error messages. At least an I dunno would be nice. ;) hahaha

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Sorry old chap, if it was gmax or Max I could tell you straight off, but I know zip about FSDS. There's surely a toggle for wireframe view / shaded view?

Country
us-washington
yes there is. One can control light and direction in preview pane and even night texturing. The wire thing is two-fold kind of.... the part without textures and the other is when you choose the part you can click on 'lines', but I've been told this was for FS9 and previous. doesn't work anymore due to how xtomdl works I guess.

The main concern is this- we have a choice in the menu called views - one item in drop down is perspective views. This has a drop down with choices. My friend's is all dimmed out whereas mine isn't. These choices control how you see the preview pane.

In FSDS the preview pane is the work-in-progress of what your project looks like. Ergo- a building with wall but no roof yet because I haven't added one yet... add a roof or a portion of - now you have a building with 1/2 a roof, and so forth. Same thing in Gmax - just different tabs I suppose. Anyway- thanx for the reply. There are items in preferences (where you configure FSDS to your computer) where to look for FSX, where your sdk is, and so forth, but I can't find anything wrong with his initial set up. Weird!

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

Don't you need to download and install the DLL libraries from MW Graphics to get solid view in FSDS? Has he done this?

Country
us-washington
I never had to do that. Maybe he can get them from there even though MAIW didn't create FSDS but might have those if it helps. great!

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
From what I find on the Interweb, Solid View is the very onion. There's also talk of VASS as a useful complement to FSDS, although it's extra.

I'd also check the video driver being used, perhaps an update is needed?

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
I have just upgraded to win10 from win 7 and now have a similar problem. I get a direct x error with the solid view with no preview. Have upgraded video driver but to no avail, has anyone got any ideas?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Gosh, another FSDSer! You may need the June 2010 DirectX 9.0c runtime? Yeah, I know W10 uses DirectX MuchGreater; it's just a suggestion. Win7 needed it too for older software to run properly.

Country
us-washington
Worked with him today. He chose a cube... and clicked on 'smooth'. BINGO it started to show the default instead of wire! After that he didn't have to click- smooth anymore. Weird. BUT- when packaging a project... only the fsc shows up... no textures. Hmmmm.