• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 PHJH Kapalua West Maui Airport

Country
ca-saskatchewan
One of my favourite places in the world is the Hawaiian island of Maui. That inspired me to do a scenery for the small airport on the west side of the island that serves Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kapalua and the other suburbs. The airport is restricted to daytime hours and traffic is limited a small number of movements per day. Mokulele Airlines provides service using Cessan Caravans. Ohana is supposed to begin service this month using the ATR 42. Island Air used to provide a Dash 8 service but that ended a few years ago. Until cargo operations were restricted Fedex used to provide service also with Caravans. As far as I know general aviation and helicopters are banned. Makes for an interesting little airport and a nice complement to the FSDT payware Hawaiian airport series. Mokulele flies from PHJH to most of the airports included in that series.

I am far enough along on the project to share some screen shots here in the showroom. Besides the airport I plan to model most of the hotels, resorts and condos that line the coast since these are a prominent feature on the runway approaches. I just got a start on those. I've done a photo scenery backdrop for the area with autogen. All of this is of course a work in progress. This is a FS9 project but I should point out to FSX users that George Keogh has done this airport, and others in Hawaii, for that platform. In fact he has graciously allowed me to adapt his terminal model for my FS9 project.

Greg

Attachments

• PHJH-WIP-13092017-2.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-13092017-2.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 2,002
  • PHJH-WIP-13092017-4.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-13092017-4.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 1,062
  • PHJH-WIP-13092017-5.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-13092017-5.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 1,054
  • PHJH-WIP-13092017-6.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-13092017-6.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 1,052
  • PHJH-WIP-13092017-7.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-13092017-7.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 998
  • PHJH-WIP-13092017-8.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-13092017-8.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • PHJH-WIP-13092017-9.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-13092017-9.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 1,217
  • PHJH-WIP-13092017-10.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-13092017-10.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 1,085
  • PHJH-WIP-13092017-11.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-13092017-11.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Wooooow... Greg!!!

What a real great Work!! Maybe one of your best looking work ever done for FS9!
I appreciate your work and that you've been doing maui for FS9! That was missing a long time!

THANKS SO MUCH for this one!!
Great Great Great!! I'm in Love with this beautiful work!
And I can't wait to fly in there soon!

I'd be buying this from scratch!

Country
us-california
Beautiful work Greg.
Maui is one of my favorite places too both for FS excursions and for real life vacations. Where I usually stayed back in the day was the Kaanapali Shores, which is very close by the airport.

Interesting timing, my cousin has been there in Kaanapali all week and I have been giving her travel tips, food and drink suggestions, and do's and don't's, so I have been thinking about the area all week.

Kapalua airport for FS has never looked better than in your scenery, it's just stunning!
Keep up the great work!

Cheers
Gary

Country
unitedstates
Hi Greg,

Beautiful work and it looks like it blends well with the surrounding terrain...

Regards,
Scott

Country
ca-saskatchewan
Beautiful work Greg.
Maui is one of my favorite places too both for FS excursions and for real life vacations. Where I usually stayed back in the day was the Kaanapali Shores, which is very close by the airport.

Interesting timing, my cousin has been there in Kaanapali all week and I have been giving her travel tips, food and drink suggestions, and do's and don't's, so I have been thinking about the area all week.

Kapalua airport for FS has never looked better than in your scenery, it's just stunning!
Keep up the great work!

Cheers
Gary

Thanks for the nice comments Gary. You might be happy to know that the Kaanapali Shores is one of the resorts that I have more or less finished modelling. I've attached a teaser screen shot. Hopefully it is a reasonable facsimile of the place you remember.

Doesn't look like I will make it this winter. My favourite spot is the Kaanapali Beach hotel. You can't beat the Kaanapali beach.

Greg

Attachments

• PHJH-WIP-Kaanapali-Shores-gmax.JPG
    PHJH-WIP-Kaanapali-Shores-gmax.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 426
Country
ca-saskatchewan
Thanks as well to Basil, Scott and Sean for your nice remarks. Basil, whenever I get it finished you can have a copy for free :)

Country
us-california
Thanks for the nice comments Gary. You might be happy to know that the Kaanapali Shores is one of the resorts that I have more or less finished modelling. I've attached a teaser screen shot. Hopefully it is a reasonable facsimile of the place you remember.

Doesn't look like I will make it this winter. My favourite spot is the Kaanapali Beach hotel. You can't beat the Kaanapali beach.

Greg

That looks like the place all right, great work Greg.
I think I can see two of the rooms I have stayed in from that view!

Yeah, Kaanapali is awesome.
The only thing is, buy your adult beverages for your room -wine, rum, a case of beer, etc in Kahului before you drive to Kaanapali. And what the heck, if its a timeshare you need groceries too. Such things are ridiculous in West Maui. Fortunately, all of the airlines drop you off in the town where everything is at the cheapest prices you're going find on the island!

After all, a person gets thirsty (and hungry) with all that fun and exercise! The extra money you save is better spent on a helicopter tour, scuba diving, snorkel gear rental for your entire stay, marlin fishing, the hockey channel in your room, the list is long.

Once you get around to asking a server or concierge where the best place to buy -fill in the blank- and they tell you the town where you got off the plane, now you have to A: Take half of one of your days to go somewhere where the only thing to do is buy things that are cheaper, and B: Spend more money to buy it cheaper because of the gas you will burn, but probably still cheaper than West Maui, and C: Curse the fact that Kahului is where you started in the first place and no one tells you unless you ask.

I haven't been there for a while, but my sister and brother-in-law have a timeshare at the Sands of Kahana, which is practically across the highway from the Kapalua Airport, so they go every year. I've been there and done pretty much everything I ever wanted to do, so unless they need someone to use their yearly visit (my son got to use it last year), I probably wont go back.

But, I fly there in FSX all of the time, and in fact have had elaborate heliports at PHJH for both FS9 and FSX. Learjet to Kahului, MD500E from Kahului to Kapalua. :)

I again commend you on your scenery Greg, I will look forwards to updates..

Cheers
Gary

Country
ca-saskatchewan
The airport is more or less done except for a few details and some ramp items. What I am doing now is working on models of many of the resorts, condos and hotels that line the beaches in the area around the airport. The goal is to increase the level of immersion because the buildings are quite prominent in the areas adjacent to the airport. I am trying to make reasonable facsimiles of the real buildings as I did with my CYQR city buildings. Probably a mistake! It is turning out be quite a tedious job but I am slowly plugging away at it. I'd say about half the buildings I plan on representing are 50% complete. To give you an idea of the hotel and condo modelling I've attached a screen shot from gmax of a few of the buildings I recently finished.

Greg

PHJH-WIP-21.JPG

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
A few years ago, my wife and I stayed at nearby 'Aston at Papakea Resort', just a good coconut's throw away from the airport. We made a side trip up the mountain to the place one beautiful afternoon. The ocean view from the airport is stunning. Thanks for the memory!

Country
ca-saskatchewan
A few years ago, my wife and I stayed at nearby 'Aston at Papakea Resort', just a good coconut's throw away from the airport. We made a side trip up the mountain to the place one beautiful afternoon. The ocean view from the airport is stunning. Thanks for the memory!

Maui is indeed a stunningly beautiful place. The resort you stayed at is included in the scenery. Here is a WIP screen shot showing that area. I believe the Papakea resort are the buildings with the red roofs in the background, with the airport above and slightly to the right half way up the hill. Keep in mind these are low poly representations of the resorts and hotels but they add a lot, I hope, to the scenery.

Greg

PHJH-WIP-28MAR20174.jpg

Country
ca-saskatchewan
Hows this going? Im still looking forward to it!!! Sean

Sean, thanks for your continuing interest.

I am still working my way down the coast south of the airport. I've made it just past the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. In the last screen shot the area circled in red is what is left to be done as far as the hotels and resorts are concerned. There are a number of rather complex buildings in this area so I can't give you a time line when I will finish this thing. Believe me, this project has become a time sink! I just finished Black Rock Beach with its lava rock cliffs, which is not represented in FS9 so I had to build that terrain. The Sheraton Resort with its buildings on top and along side of the cliffs is a very prominent feature of the area, which I am sure is a VFR reference point. I also got side tracked because I decided to expand the photoreal coverage of the area to include the town of Lahaina. That slowed my progress but I think it also adds to the scenery. I have most of the autogen buildings and trees in place so that is another big thing off the to do list since my last report.

Greg

Attachments

• PHJH-WIP-28MAR20171.jpg
    PHJH-WIP-28MAR20171.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 507
  • PHJH-WIP-28MAR20173.jpg
    PHJH-WIP-28MAR20173.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 552
  • PHJH-WIP-28MAR20175.jpg
    PHJH-WIP-28MAR20175.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 498
  • PHJH-WIP-28MAR20177.jpg
    PHJH-WIP-28MAR20177.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 540

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The resort you stayed at is included in the scenery. Here is a WIP screen shot showing that area. I believe the Papakea resort are the buildings with the red roofs in the background, with the airport above and slightly to the right half way up the hill.
View attachment 34125

Yep. Red roofs. Right after we left, there was a small tsunami, and they made the guests go up the hill to the airport for a few hours. The ground-floor unit we stayed in got a a bit of water.

Country
unitedstates
The photoreal terrain does not do your modeling justice. Your design work is superb but I feel the photoreal does not have the beautiful colors/saturation the Hawaii I know. May be the resolution, the imagery itself, or the limitation of FS2004.

Country
us-arizona
Greg,

This is amazing. Somebody remind me again why everybody says FS9 isnt good enough? Just spot on. Great stuff. Looking forward to it.

Sean