• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Photoreal Brisbane - Preview Part 2

Country
unitedstates
Okay a little more experimentation and a quick color tweak to see how it might look in Flight Sim...

Please note there is a white line across the top of Redcliffe, that's because this still in development, and the big white block near Brisbane airport is the point I've reached in merging the textures, it is part of my texture map boundary right now, I'll extend it further south soon...

For now here some piccies...

Note also I don't have a high end video card just yet

4215d5dd704c504c.jpg

4215d5e87051a9f0.jpg

4215d5fb7056dea1.jpg

4215d602705e9e76.jpg

4215d610706e7efb.jpg

Country
us-southcarolina
Very impressive! I have not yet ventured into this realm of scenery (way too scary for me :yikes: ), so I appreciate anyone who can.

Is the finished product going to be freeware or payware?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
From this altitude it looks good, but how does it look when you are lower? Do you use the full 4.8 meter resolution of FS or are the photos you are using lower resolution?

Country
unitedstates
I'm using 5m renderings, but they're from JPEG so it's not quite as clean as I'd like, a lot of artifacts and blocking... I did a comparison between 1m res scaled down to 4.8 and 5m scaled up to 4.8 and the 1m looks much cleaner simply because the artifacts are smoothed over...

This is what Megascenery is now doing, using the higher res and scaling it instead of using the 5m source...

Unfortunately I don't have either a) the money to buy the 1m pictures (just YBAF in high res would be $70 or b) the time to grab 1m tiles and knit them together (would take forever on an area approximately 50km long and 15 km wide... That'd equal about 750 sq km or about 300-600 tiles that would need to be knit together by hand or $20,000... :yikes:

Country
unitedstates
Okay I fixed the blank litle white hole I had that ran through YRED...

This time I did some experimenting with the master texture and added a slight gaussian blur to the image (I tried to make the 5m image look as smooth as the 1m image when resized to 4.8m/pixel)...

I was amazed, the smoothing on the master texture made a huge difference to the look and feel of the satellite imagery... It now is smooth and fluid, I guess because the graphics card/processor isn't having to smooth the image itself and waste valuable compute cycles...

Anyways, here's a quick snap I took while flying around the now mostly aligned YRED AFCAD... I think I need to look into setting a flatten for this airport as the runway cuts through the terrain... Argh, 10 steps forward, one step back...

I'll hopefully have the remainder of the areas done tomorrow, I can't wait to reach both Brissie and Archerfield Airports...

Dean
Flight Sim Studios

42173ab347b2576a.jpg

42173ac347b589b4.jpg

42173b1747c4a92f.jpg

42173b1f47c6a150.jpg

Country
unitedstates
Brisbane City - Photoreal Preview 5

Finally reached Brisbane City... Here's a shot of the CBD and Southbank. I didn't turn off the default FS scenery for Australia for this screen shot so the terrain is a little off... Am about to fire up FS again and take another tour around the city and will grab some extra shots...

You can clearly see in the shot the City Botanic Gardens, QUT and the Government buildings, the Riverside Expressway and Southbank... Oh over to the right is Roma Street Station and Parklands. The William Jolly Bridge, the Southbank Pedestrian Bridge, etc etc etc.

I haven't done any color correction for this one but I have made one little tweak to the textures this time and now it's very crisp in the sim...

I'm still in the process of tweaking, but now it's as sharp as Megascenery SoCal and NorCal...

The photo tiles coverage is about 50% done at this point, once the major mapping is done, then I can work on the waterways...

Wish I had a DX9 compatible card, I'd throw in some cool water if I could...

So here she is for now...

4219033f5c6b4160.jpg

Country
unitedstates
Okay here's a quick screen shot... I'll need to recalculate pixel sizes, so that the SDK resample tool doesn't make things as blocky as this again, and do another recompile later...

It appears my calculations have been correct and that the phototiles are positioned to their exact locations ;) Am running further tests but it "feels" right in the sim...

For now, time to go fly and have some fun....

Dean.

422139ef57d98211.jpg

Country
germany
Looks great !

Nice work ! If it ´s finished and you put some autogen trees and houses on the tiles it will be perfect. :)

It is always great to see what people can do with their areas in comparison with the standard M$ scenery :D

Greetz - Enzo ( GER Stuttgart )

Country
australia
Brisbane looks great`- how did you do it?

Hi,

I'm new to all of this stuff. I just bought the 73m resolution elevation model and want to try to add some hi-rez imagery to the area in which I do most of my flying (Bathurst NSW). Is there a cookbook for doing this? I have no real problems getting access to high resolution imagery both satellite and flown, but have absolutely no experience in how to add the detailed images.

Cheers and thanks

Lars