• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Photoreal Imagery For Small Areas?

Country
us-florida
I have found some places to purchase/licence photoreal imagery for payware products, but most of them have a 15-25 SQ KM minimum purchase, making me spend $500+ when I don't need that much imagery. Does anyone know of any sources where I can purchase imagery for resale in a payware product that will allow me to purchase it in smaller areas? (no minimum purchase). All I need is enough to cover the footprint of a small municipal airport.

Thanks,
Caleb

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Caleb:

There is a significant amount of freely accessible aerial imagery which covers ex: your X10 project area in resolutions higher than the FSX / P3D default terrain textures ...that is available for download via online portals for local and federal agencies . :idea:

I would be glad to discuss these options with you later this weekend or early next week if you have an interest in exploring this.

GaryGB

Country
us-florida
Hi Caleb:

There is a significant amount of freely accessible aerial imagery which covers ex: your X10 project area in resolutions higher than the FSX / P3D default terrain textures ...that is available for download via online portals for local and federal agencies . :idea:

I would be glad to discuss these options with you later this weekend or early next week if you have an interest in exploring this.

GaryGB
Hi GaryGB,

Fyi X10 is already released https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/p3d-v3-v4-x10-belle-glade-airport-released.443943/ so this will be for a new project. :) Working on D54 West Fargo airport now. Very similar to X10 as far as size is concerned.

Anyway, back to the point. I am open to using free imagery, but I want something that I will be able to put in a payware product and not get in trouble for it. If it is in such a small area, would you know if it is ok to resell free imagery?

Thanks.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
In the US you should be able to find open data that you can use. Just check the GIS department of the specific state. All this open data can be used in commercial addons as well (just check the license, usually you only have to mention the source).

Country
us-florida
In the US you should be able to find open data that you can use. Just check the GIS department of the specific state. All this open data can be used in commercial addons as well (just check the license, usually you only have to mention the source).
Ok I will check. Thanks.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Caleb:

Indeed, as Arno alludes to above, most GIS data available via U.S. local and federal government GIS web portals is intended for relatively unrestricted use subject to the license terms, which usually can be found on the agency website or can be lcoated via a Google search; when in doubt, contact the agency directly for a written statement of license terms.

Ex: https://gishubdata.nd.gov/dataset/fargo-aerial-photography-2017

License

Creative Commons Attribution

See also, this preview of some ArcGIS licensed imagery available via a North Dakota state GIS web portal

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/...ov/arcgis/rest/services/All_Imagery/MapServer

If you wish to explore this option, you can try copying- then adding- the pertinent "WMS Get Capabilities" URL for:

https://ndgishub.nd.gov/arcgis/rest/services/All_Imagery/MapServer
Code:
https://ndgishub.nd.gov/arcgis/services/All_Imagery/MapServer/WMSServer?request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS

...to a Global Mapper demo session via:

Global Mapper Menu > File > Download Online Imagery / Topo / Terrain Maps... > WMS (Web Map Service) > Add New Source

...to download / view imagery tile footprint data and ID GeoTIFF file names for areas of interest with the {i} 'info' tool icon.

Alternatively you should be able to do this using ex: QGIS.

You can then directly download the actual *.TIF and *.TFW GeoTIFF file pairs (both required) via your web browser from: :idea:

https://gisdata.nd.gov/Cities/Fargo/AerialPhotography/2017/Tifs/

FYI: The 15 CM/pixel (LOD-18) tiles for the immediate D54 area are: :pushpin:

13949064.tif
13949064.tfw

14049313.tif
14049313.tfw

14049314.tif
14049314.tfw

PS: Congratulations on your launch of X10 Belle Glade; keep up the diligent efforts to produce a nice product ! :cool:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
You can then directly download the actual *.TIF and *.TFW GeoTIFF file pairs (both required) via your web browser from: :idea:

https://gisdata.nd.gov/Cities/Fargo/AerialPhotography/2017/Tifs/

FYI: The 60 CM/pixel (LOD-16) tiles for the immediate D54 area are: :pushpin:

13949064.tif
13949064.tfw

14049313.tif
14049313.tfw

14049314.tif
14049314.tfw
Yep I found that same place and was going to download all the tiffs and see which one I needed, but you told me, saving me a lot of work. :) I can't find anything saying I can't redistribute it, so i will use that.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Caleb:

Glad you're off to another good start.

PS: I edited my post above to correct the actual resolution of the downloaded imagery tiles cited above to 15 cm/pixel. :pushpin:

NOTE: You can use (non-lossy) LZW compression in the final re-projected source GeoTIFFs (requires more SDK Resample compile time) if you wish to include a larger photo-real area surrounding the airport ...without as much increase in a (non-Resample-compressed) final BGL output size, as would otherwise be seen with non-LZW-compressed GeoTIFF source files. :idea:

BTW: As you may know, one may "load" GeoTIFF imagery into SBuilderX work-space via:

SBuilderX Menu > File > Add Map > From Disk

...if it is:

* 'projected' in a "Geographic" GIS cartographic projection

...and:

* has a matching *.TXT Geo-referencing 'world' file in the same folder as the GeoTIFF

...during the "Add Map" procedure. ;)

One may manually create the tiny *.TXT Geo-referencing 'world' file from Metadata for the GeoTIFF after it is re-projected

Have fun ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-florida
PS: I edited my post above to correct the actual resolution of the downloaded imagery tiles cited above to 15 cm/pixel. :pushpin:
I found that too. I am very happy at it being that high resolution. :)
Thanks for the great information everyone.